The Corvette GTP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Corvette GTP

Discussion has surfaced as to why this particular racing icon was never made by a manufacturer. I will start on a master model and a mold and will cast it in resin. This thread will be the depository for photos of the progress of the master carved from foam, the mold and resin copies as they are made. For those of you who are interested in resin casting, there may be some how to's and hopefully help you avoid some of the pitfalls of the hobby should you be interested in making your own parts at some time in the future. I am taking on this project because I am a Corvette officianado and have a particular interest in this icon. Stay tuned and feel free to ask questions or offer more detail information if you have any.

Some years ago, a 1/24 Resin Corvette GTP static model kit was offered to the public (by at least 2 companies).

IIRC, Betta offers a 1/32 Corvette GTP Body.

I was wondering if these would be helpful in creating your 1/32 version?

Interesting side note: Jay Leno has a street legal "replica" of the Corvette GTP in his collection.

Last edited by MG Brown; 04-12-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Great, if one already exists, those of us who want one can buy it now. I will search it out. Thanks

Comment

Rick ,

as i stated in the other thread . Please , put me down for #1 or as close to it as possible . i will be using an HSR chassis . thank you for your expertise and dedication to our hobby ! many times !
        jer

Comment

MG, I wasn't able to locate the sources. Betta doesn't seem to have a site. Do you know who sells them? That would save loads of time.

Comment

I googled up this result. Never visited the site before today, but if you scroll down to the 1/32 gt cars, a 1985 corvette is listed.
            http://www.chaskeelingscd.co.uk/betta.htm

Comment

Didn't Quickskins make a 1/24 resin kit?

Comment

Here is the company that builds the replica kit http://www.mongoosems.com/index.php

I'm not sure if they would be able to supply you with any information. They where very friendly and helpful when I called them a year ago when I was considering purchasing a kit. If this stock that I have comes in, the first thing I'm getting is one of these kit cars to build. I'm a gear head, so I want to build this baby myself.

Comment

TV, I can't seem to locate a seller for the bodies from the UK. There is no email either. I can make a mold from that body and and add detail if I can get one. Either way, it involves some work. Moon, no response yet from the kit maker. I don't expect any drawings from them just dimensions.

Comment

Any new updates?

Comment

A Corvette GTP body...?!

Yo Rick,

I don't know if I got it right, but are you willing to make a mold and then produce some resin bodies of the Corvette GTP for sale? If so, I'm as "in" as possible: put my name on the list, if there is one...

Although I don't intend to stop buying resin bodies, I would love to try and make one myself from ground zero. Of course I don't have the slightest idea of how it works, but I'd be glad to give it a try: I've done some clay sculpting in my youth, with a bit of success...

Take care, man!
                      BigDog

Comment

The easiest way to get started is to copy an existing model kit body. After that, you can try your hand at sculpture or whittling. I use Alumilite products myself. They are very good and the results are consistent every time. They have kits available including products, measuring cups, stir sticks and instructions.
                        I will put you on the list. I am still doing the research. I was hoping to find dimensioned drawings for the car but none seem to be available. I have some pretty good photos to work from so I am getting closer. A photo journal will be posted for those who have any curiosity about masters, molds and castings.

Comment

Did you ever get in touch with the owner of that 1/24 kit?

Comment

Hey Rick ,
                            I found one for us . AB Slotsport offers a "1984 LOLA CHEVY VETTE GTP 8'10.5" in .030 White Plasticard which might be a great starting point . Google AB Slotsport then look under Betta Bodies 1/32 Sports & GT Cars . They also sell .020 clear carbonate which makes perfect windows for the pasticards . I'm now building an Intrepid GTP & Toyota Eagle using Betta Plasticard . PLEASE put me on the list for the Corvette . Thanks
                            Buck

Comment

Moon, still no response from the kit owner. I gotta move on. Jersey, I will check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X