Scale wire wheels.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale wire wheels.

Further to the comments and requests, here's another photo of my version of a 1/32 scale Boranni wire wheel. Available in a few days they will come in kit form or fully assembled with a choice of three different tyre sizes to begin with. A very comprehensive assembly instruction sheet is included. These things have taken an absolute age to get anywhere near looking right. I hope you all like them.

Graham.

Those look very nice, how is the traction?

Comment

I havn't tried them myself, but the guy who did says the grip from the tyres is better than the originals. The tyres are all re-casts of all the skinny items from various Scaly models. In the photograph the smaller tyre is from the front of the Ferrari sharknose and the two larger ones are the front and rear from a Ferrari 375 F1. The rear from the sharknose and the tyres from the Maser 250f are all in the pipeline.The material used to make them is a soft resin and not rubber.

Graham.

Comment

At last, competition for Pendle!

Comment

I'm eager....

very nice work, Z! (we all need a single key to enter that phrase these days)...
          looking to get on your list - I will watch this post.
          Thanks for making things better for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by zagato View Post
            ... 1/32 scale Boranni wire wheel. Available in a few days they will come in kit form ... A very comprehensive assembly instruction sheet is included...
            Step 1 - Take the first 4.2 mm long spoke and lace from outside in through the outermost row of holes in the outside hub flange and through the hole two locations clockwise from the hub spoke location of the innermost row of holes on the rim. Thread nipple on 8 turns.

Step 2 - Take the second spoke ...

Sorry Graham, couldn't resist - used to spend many hours lacing up my own bike racing wheels - I can only imagine the effort hand lacing a set of Boriannis would take ... or making them in 1/32 scale! Great looking wheels

cheers
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by zagato View Post
              Great stuff, Graham. I especially like the dark behind the spokes (I assume because it's an owner assembled wheel that's something we do). Let us know how the tires... ermmm... tyres perform. It's always good to have multiple sources. Do you have any idea regarding price for a set?

Greenman62
              Last edited by greenman62; 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments fellas. They obviously won;t be the cheapest wheels around as Italian footwear was always expensive. I guess it might be better if we discuss prices etc. in private, so if anyone is really interested I suggest a PM.

Graham.

Comment

Photo of the wheel kit as requested.

Graham.

Comment

I am dazzled! The photoetched "wires" are really nice.

The rims look familiar. The remainder of the kit does not.

Do you paint the inside back of your rims matte black to make the wires more visible?

Mad John

PS PM sent

Comment

Hi John.

Yes to give the proper effect the back of the rim is painted black. I've tried it without but it just doesn't look right. The assembly instructions are around 10/11 pages with photo's of every step. Probably the best way to see these is in a downloadable PDf. form. If I print a copy off for every kit it'll cost me a fortune in ink!

Graham.

Comment

Years ago, to get a similar effect, I tried black construction paper (that stuff is truly matte) and contact cement behind mag wheel inserts.

The down side was the stuff was a dirt magnet and there was no cleaning it. I did manage ti extract and save the inserts. The only option I could find for the construction paper was a cozy, really little fire! Then I had residue to clean off of the aluminum. In those days, we used epoxy to glue tires. They stayed okay.

Comment

Nice set. Are those set screw wheels? If so, I'd be interested in getting them as they are without the photo etch.

Scott

Comment

Same kind of fixing as BWA types. In fact I think they are exactly the same size screws.

Comment

Omfg

p.m. on it`s way .

jer

Comment

Working...
                              X