Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threw one together 24 hours before the Cincy LSR event... What a blast.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threw one together 24 hours before the Cincy LSR event... What a blast.

So what do ya do.. just build one hours before the event..haha..

It had to be in the style of the event.. a B-Ville slat flat car..for that long long long track err did I say "long".ha

This car was nothing before the start of the build.. resin casting the parts even the front wheels.. homebrew frame with a drop axle.. Basic Hotrod

The surprise was it ran well.. for just a throw together.. taking 3rd in the Unlimited class and tracked well all 4 runs that it took..It is wild how crazy they get at these speeds..They start to fly.. really Fly..

This is a must do event...where else can you go Full Tilt down 165 foot of track.. you cant even see your car just hear it whining out..

Thanks Guys.. for the great event..it was a blast.. I Learned a bunch and will Be building for next year.. but I will give myself 32 hours before this time..

wood
    Last edited by woodguy32; 07-18-2011, 07:52 AM.

Nice model! And congrats on the performance. This one looks like it is SUPPOSED to look. Must have a straight-eight under the hood.

Comment

Beautiful car, can't wait to see what you come up with with the extra 8 hours!

Comment

I am amazed with your skills as I could not put that car together in such a short time. Congrats on your third place.

Cheers.

Comment

Very nicely done.

What scale is the car and the resin dragsters shown in the picture?

FSO John

Comment

Thanks guys.. one fun quick build.. in more my type of car ..basic hotrod stuff..

another reason I been quiet here lately is my new track build.. I will post sometime.. a new Dragstrip has been added to the Ovals..meaning more of my style cars I dig so much.. and well I need a bunch of early dragsters and hotrods in the mix.. so I been a resin casting fool..this is just a very small fraction of what i been casting lately..still working on the early oval sprint car stuff..

but the Eldon thing is pretty cool..and will be using bigger motors with a brass style framework..( Need Speed ) and of course wheel standing all the way down the strip..haha

working on some other molds for a more 60's era dragsters.. and a few blown hemis been casted.. but my fav will be the Chassis Research dragsters..the one with the flames.. Oh yea..

Wood

Comment

Folks can find a Thread on this event right here. No doubt we'll get a complete report soon.

I'm going to have to take another look at the rules, as I had the impression it was for currently available 1/32 scale slot cars; so the Hawk Land Speed Record kits and Strombecker Group 7 body I had stashed away weren't going to be eligible.

Beautiful build on this dragster hot rod, congrats on your finish, too!

Comment

Cool dragsters!

Are these 1/24th scale? When I was a kid, I built almost all of Tom Daniel's 1/24th models. I had the Red Baron, the T'rantula dragster (cool!), the Beer Wagon, the Draggin' Wagon, the Paddy Wagon and the Cherry Bomb. Would love to find a model of the T'rantula and build it up as a slot drag car....

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                  Folks can find a Thread on this event right here. No doubt we'll get a complete report soon.

I'm going to have to take another look at the rules, as I had the impression it was for currently available 1/32 scale slot cars; so the Hawk Land Speed Record kits and Strombecker Group 7 body I had stashed away weren't going to be eligible.

Beautiful build on this dragster hot rod, congrats on your finish, too!

Wet

His car ran in the open class which is pretty much a free for all with only safety type rules. I entered by proxy a 1934 Auto Union longtail in the modified class and got a respectable 36.3 mph with a FF-050 motor. It is alot tougher than it looks getting top speed on a straight line track laid across a warehouse floor. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by mmmoose1 View Post
                    Wet

His car ran in the open class which is pretty much a free for all with only safety type rules. I entered by proxy a 1934 Auto Union longtail in the modified class and got a respectable 36.3 mph with a FF-050 motor. It is alot tougher than it looks getting top speed on a straight line track laid across a warehouse floor. Ken
                    Ken and West

It was an awesome event.. and was great to meet a bunch of great slotters and the Auto Union run..

It is wild to run them.. and they sure get loose at those speeds..once you lose the slot all heck breaks lose and parts and pieces everywhere..

I was able to run the unlimited class.. open to 1/24 and all out anything goes class.. and got this fresh build never run car up to 45.9 MPH ..( 52 MPH was the top speed of the day thru the 1/4 mile trap..) I learned a bit though.. they ran low Amps and at 15 volts so my motor wasn't right for the setup.. so look out guys.. I spend a little more time on the next one..haha

Thanks wood
                    Last edited by woodguy32; 07-19-2011, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Test run on the new Dragstrip...

wood

Comment

She looks mean and that gold number POPS.

I do have a ranch home with a long basement. I wonder...

Comment

Kirk, that was a GREAT first attempt for you, congrats! We've been finding over the last three years that there's no substitute for experience, as a lot of things tuners think they know seem to get thrown out the window somewhat. Seeing someone do well in his first attempt was really cool.

In many ways I'd say that driving straight (and very fast) is harder than driving on a twisty road circuit. On the road circuit, there is a lot that a driver can do to correct for tiny problems when the car gets a little out of shape. Here, it's just 200 feet of straight track, and there is little the driver can do if the car isn't built right. Slight imperfections can become very large at 40-50 mph.

This is a race where the craftsmen excel, and the 'craftsman meets mad scientist' aspect is just fantastic. Glad you enjoyed it, Kirk -- see you next year!

Comment

Working...
                          X