My latest build... Ocar Aston Martin DBR1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest build... Ocar Aston Martin DBR1

The body is a resin from World Classics and has been nice to work with, the decals are great too.
    It tipped the scales at over 30grams so the dremel was in action and it is now 21grams in the paint!
    The widscreen is a remake as I couldnt figure out how to make the OG one fit and look good as it had a cover for the passenger side.
    I made a balsa drivers tray and it sits on the motor.The driver is resin.
    This car is no historical replica but is what I call a "naive" build. I built it because of the body shape which I happen to like.

The paint was a guess from the auto supply touch up paint rack.
    The chassis is my usual bracket and piano wire/rod combination....nothing trick.
    Some of the rods might get shorter or be removed altogether...time will tell.
    The wheels are BWA and are independent fronts.Inserts are BWA copies.

The next tuning step is to give it some laps.

That's some nice looking car you have got yourself there. I enjoy the detail of the underside as I'm not a scatch builder but do like to know how things are done.

Thanks for the pictures.

Comment

This is a very nice car. Every time I see really nice brass work I get excited about scratch building once again. It used to be so easy to find the time to do it "back in the day." Work like yours is inspiring.

Comment

Munter,

Do you use a jig to assemble your chassis? If so, what brand is it? If not, how do you make everything square?

1hd

Comment

Excellent!

Nice job, Munter It looks like it will be a strong runner. You're giving me inspiration. I've got one of Graham Poulton's Astons on my "to do list" next. With it he sent one of his superb DB4 Zagatos as well. I have one already...

It's an Ocar repop of the Slot Classic original, which took a lot to get it to look this good... but there's always room for a new livery!

BTW, my Aston's paint is a lacquer from MCW. The unfortunate thing is he won't ship overseas. His catalog shows 2 Aston colors, one post 1960 (above) the other Pre 1960. I know it's a bit late now but If you'd like I could see about getting a bottle to you. I believe the proper color is called "Californian Sage".

Greenman62
          Last edited by greenman62; 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Munter and Greenman those are both gorgeous cars, I have found myself getting back into the more classic cars like the Aston,Jaguar,ferrari from the 50-60's as the lines are just timeless.
            I would love to know about the jig you use Munter to build your chassis and greenman what kind of chassis did you use for the aston?
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
              I would love to know about the jig you use Munter to build your chassis and greenman what kind of chassis did you use for the aston?
              Chris
              It's a scratch built sidewinder... The chassis was made of heavy plastic card. It was built for a proxy race. During the "festivities" it cracked in half just ahead of the rear axle. When I got it home I repaired the break with super glue and a piece of thin brass plate... It's been fine since. It's not one of the best of my home-builts but it's sure pretty enough.

Greenman62
              Last edited by greenman62; 07-20-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info I think it's a beauty, love the colour as well. I will have to paint my Aston DB5 that colour, I was going to go silver but I really like that colour you used.

Comment

I found a Toyota Camry colour that was very close and used that on my DBR1

Comment

Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
                    Thanks for the info I think it's a beauty, love the colour as well. I will have to paint my Aston DB5 that colour, I was going to go silver but I really like that colour you used.
                    http://www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com/
                    The colors are listed below...
                    Aston-Martin
                    '50's Racing Blue/Green met - special order
                    '60 Lt. Green Met. - special order
                    '60's Gold Met. - special order
                    '05+ DBR-9 British Racing Green Met. - special order

I don't know if he will ship to Canada.

Greenman62

Comment

You're giving me inspiration
                      Gee,thanks Greenman,that is a compliment,it is usually the other way round.

ottawaslotter
                      I have a jig but didn't use it on this chassis.The 0.62 pianowire rails were bent then soldered to a BWA bracket.Accuracy was down to my eyechrometer,a small engineers square and a set of digital callipers.

Comment

Cadillac had a color like that in the 70's called Fire Mist Lite Sage. Lincoln had one too but I don't remember the name. If you know anyone who works in a body shop, they have all the paint chips and formuli to mix them.

Comment

I need to do my first one or second or twenty something before I could use my eyechrometer, Any body got suggestions on the best jig and place to order it from in the meantime?
                          Nice work though and I may copy your design Munter if you promise not to sue me for copyright infringement?

Chris

ottawaslotter
                          I have a jig but didn't use it on this chassis.The 0.62 pianowire rails were bent then soldered to a BWA bracket.Accuracy was down to my eyechrometer,a small engineers square and a set of digital callipers.[/quote]

Comment

Thanks for the link but unfortunately you can't ship paints to Canada it's considered hazardous materials. I think I will try the auto restoration shop I know and see if they can mix the colour for me, they specialize in european cars?
                            Chris

Originally posted by greenman62 View Post
                            http://www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com/
                            The colors are listed below...
                            Aston-Martin
                            '50's Racing Blue/Green met - special order
                            '60 Lt. Green Met. - special order
                            '60's Gold Met. - special order
                            '05+ DBR-9 British Racing Green Met. - special order

I don't know if he will ship to Canada.

Greenman62

Comment

the best jig and place to order it
                              I dont know of the best jig but I bought mine from your country....sold to me by Rick Benardo of Rgeo products.

You will find him on eBay and slotblog....He is friendly and helpful....I just purchased his wire bending jig/gadget so I can hopefully eliminate the eyechrometer from my building process.

regards

Sue you?? Most of what I do is copied and litigation hasn't been a problem yet !

Comment

Working...
                              X