No announcement yet.

My latest build... Ocar Aston Martin DBR1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for referal I will check him out and great to hear I can steal your design and if anybody comes after me I will tell them you said it was OK!!

Chris

Comment

John, I have one on the way and I am researching liveries, if any, and I hope it looks as good as yours.

Comment

Thank you Rixvette.

The car has had a motor repower.... a BWA slimcan.This has made it a nicer drive.
        The Indygrip rears are next to be changed out to a urethane which will hopefully give a smoother
        car.

When your DBR arrives please weigh it and compare it to one of your bodies.I think you will be pleased.

regards

Comment

Well the Barchetta weighs in at 18 grams and the Lola is 19 so I will be looking forward to it.

Correction: The Barchetta weighs 11 grams the Lola is 14.
          Last edited by rixvette; 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM. Reason: Car body weights

Comment

The two DBR1 that I have were both close to 30 grams! Much work with the dremel I manages around 20 grams, this it may have been easier to remould the first one!

Comment

I'll see how bad it is and perhaps throw that in a rubber bath too. It seems that everything I have touched lately has ended up in a mold.

Comment

Weeelllllll, the DBR-1 arrived yesterday and I was appalled. The body weighs 38 grams!! That is a Barchetta, chassis AND a Lola together. THIS is going to be a challenge. I will be grinding for some time but I'll get it down to reasonable proportions. 'Tubby' as it is affectionately called, has a beautiful exterior with shiny surface and nice clean panel lines. The chrome details and vacuum formed driver was a nice touch. Unfortunately, the wheelbase is wrong, it is a little wide and a little short. I'm not going to fix this one. It seems that attention to scale was an after thought. I will, however, add it to the long list of bodies to be copied if there is any demand.

Comment

I was appalled.
                  I will be grinding for some time
                  I can relate to both of those comments.

I start with a tungsten burr which cuts the resin and finish with a stone which grinds.
                  The burr is good in that it is more aggressive than the stone and produces flakes not dust.

The process is time consuming and has the potential to lead to disaster if you are too hungry with the dremel.

Grind on...!!

Comment

I am half way through the 'thinnnin' process and the body is down to 26 grams. Most of the body will be about 3/32" when I am done. I don't think it will be as light as the Barchetta but I will keep at it. I think it will be worth the effort when I am done.

Comment

More sanding and filing tonight. Now it is down to 22 grams. Still a way to go.

Comment

The nice thing about some of the resin bodies that you get from some of the UK seller's is that you get your money's worth of resin. I got a small Lotus 24GP car that weighed 28 grams just for the body shell. I wrote them since they were a new company starting up and asked them if they could make them lighter. They sent me a "lightweight" 19 gram body and they did not think it would hold up to racing. The cars I build in this class normaly weigh in at 55 grams or less ready to run.
                        The best was a Dino Ferrari that weighed a whopping 69 grams for the body shell alone. It had resin that was over an inch thick in some places. I whittled on it for days to get it to 38 grams.
                        I use a 4.8 volt battery powered Dremel at slow speeds with rotary rasps that they sell at Menards to thin them down.

Make em light. Ken
                        Last edited by mmmoose1; 08-11-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Here are photos of mine so far. I started my own thread, Sorry, John.
                          http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=52893

Comment

Sorry, John.
                            No need

Comment

Working...
                            X