Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lotus 19: Old school meets new school FINISHED.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotus 19: Old school meets new school FINISHED.

I acquired a MIB Strombecker lotus 19 that needs a chassis. I tried an original Strombecker competition chassis, but that did not look right at all, the ride height was waaaaaay too high. Disappointed that I couldn't go all old school, I decided I'd try a modern chassis. I wanted brass to keep the old school look and feel, but I wasn't sure what universal brass chassises would fit, and I don't build them either. So I opted for the new MRRC universal chassis kit. I also bought some SCC insert wheels in 15x8. So far I like the results:

FYI... those mini-lite inserts are from MRRC, and they fit the SCC wheels perfectly. Just wanted you scratchbuilders to know.
    Last edited by OneHotDog; 08-22-2011, 10:37 PM.

Cool build, where did you get the MRRC mini-lite inserts ? Good to know they they fit the SCC insert wheels too, some great info for some kits I'm hoping to build. Thanks.
    Chris

Comment

Chris,

Those inserts are available from retail stores that stock MRRC products. I purchased mine from a store in Great Britain. Canada may not yet have a retailer for MRRC. I could not find them in the U.S.

1hd

Comment

Interesting adaptation. So what did you use for the rear body mount? It appears you had to cut away the one that is on the Sebring chassis.

Scott

Comment

Looks good so far! I think I may have one of those Strombecker 19s kicking around somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by svanaken View Post
            Interesting adaptation. So what did you use for the rear body mount? It appears you had to cut away the one that is on the Sebring chassis.

Scott
            Yeah, I haven't decided how to mount the chassis. I just know I had to remove the rear tab. I'm thinking I'll use some L-shaped styrene plastic and mount the chassis in the sides of the body. Unless you have an alternative suggestion, I'm all ears.

1hd
            Last edited by OneHotDog; 08-02-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming the front mount works OK. If so, then perhaps just gluing some very dense foam on the inside of the body sides and perhaps above the motor will be enough to keep the rear tires from rubbing. Unless you plan on crashing hard a lot, that one screw should be enough to keep things together.

Those old Strombecker bodies aren't styrene from the feel of them so standard glues that one would use for attaching body mounts might not hold.

Scott

Comment

I'm assuming the front mount works OK. If so, then perhaps just gluing some very dense foam on the inside of the body sides and perhaps above the motor will be enough to keep the rear tires from rubbing. Unless you plan on crashing hard a lot, that one screw should be enough to keep things together.

Those old Strombecker bodies aren't styrene from the feel of them so standard glues that one would use for attaching body mounts might not hold.

Scott
                The front mount appears to be ok. As for glue, there is one glue that works on everything: SHOE GOO! I'm gonna have to fiddle with the body and chassis before I settle on a method.

Comment

Slot Car Corner now has Mini-Lite styled inserts for their wheels, they should be on the website soon. I did not know that Lotus 19s had a riding mechanic, or is that a navigator?

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                    Slot Car Corner now has Mini-Lite styled inserts for their wheels, they should be on the website soon. I did not know that Lotus 19s had a riding mechanic, or is that a navigator?
                    Well, I think its an alternative driver. But its gonna be covered over with the tonneau anyway.

Comment

Rich D thanks for the heads up I have to order more insert wheels soon so I will keep an eye out, nice to see them stocking inserts finally.
                      Yeah noticed the other passeneger and assumed the car was being depicted in a rally?

Originally posted by RichD View Post

Comment

Updates

I think the wheelbase is about right. The Strombecker body is not perfect, but I like the look. Not going for perfection.

This is how I adapted the body to the chassis. One screw does hold the body to chassis. I crafted the cradle for the rear of the chassis and shimmed the chassis to raise the body up in the front. Used SHOE GOO for glue.

Comment

That bracket looks like a good solution and keeps the rear wheels from rubbing. I"ll have to give this a shot at the next slot car show in November. There are always Lotus bodies being offered for a few dollars.

Scott

Comment

That bracket looks like a good solution and keeps the rear wheels from rubbing. I"ll have to give this a shot at the next slot car show in November. There are always Lotus bodies being offered for a few dollars.

Scott
                            Scott,

What slot car show are you refering too? Us Los Angeles guys don't have any slot car shows!

Comment

OneHotDog now that I have my MRRC chassis I'm really anxious to see how yours turns out. I may go looking for some of the older bodies like your lotus 19 as it really looks nice the way you have it setup nice and low. Neat idea with the rear bracket too. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing it finished.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X