The Car From Hell... Peregrinations of my Trans AM Falcon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Car From Hell... Peregrinations of my Trans AM Falcon

Maybe I shouldn't have done this... surely it was a hard luck project from the "get-go".
    I wanted something a bit different for next year's Pony Wars proxy race. You know me... I like "oddball". I had seen this Falcon at several vintage races and learned it had Trans Am history. It ran one race... in Marlboro, then continued road racing and rallying for a number of years in Texas (I think).

and looks like this today...

First I needed to find a body... I found one from MT Racing Resins

When I received the body I found it had been made from a die-cast original... Not a very good diecast original. Also parts like tail lights, rear bumper, headlamp lenses and hood detail weren't included. I must have gotten their last casting because MT sent another with it labeled "Blem"(the guy must have been clairvoyant). It was a bit warped and wasn't quite as good a casting as "the good" one. Another thing was it was a standard Falcon Tudor, and not the Falcon "Sprint" that the real car was...

Hmm a challenge. Looking back I should have practiced modifying the body with the blem, but the bit was in my teeth... I didn't. I ruined the good body alarmingly quickly... bugger. I went back to MT and found they were out of stock. I turned to the blem. I fixed the things I could and thought hard about how to create the Sprint's fastback. After some careful measuring I did my cutting, glued the works back together and the made cuts to re-angle the C pillar. I created a structure with brass wire and used bits from the C-pillar and plastic rod to make a framework. I then mixed up some resin and used it as filler in the cracks left over from making the mods. Detail was done with Plastruct and filling the errors was done with 2 part automotive glaze. I wanted to do the car as it is raced today... to my eye it looked cooler, which meant cutting off the front bumper. I then made the detail of the radiator and frame rail.

I hit the wall with paint this time. Maybe how the Cobra turned out made me a bit cocky. I used Duplicolor silver for the trim, then laid on 4 coats of black... so far so good. When I peeled off the masking tape along the side trim some of the black went with it... When the body was completely dry I touched up the errors and added the windscreen surround detail. Let everything dry for a few days. The decals proved problematic. When I clear-coated the body as usual I carefully dust coated everything. the numerals on the side bubbled up instantly I let the works dry to the touch then carefully pressed the bubbles down with Teflon baking paper. two more very light coats didn't improve things. Finally I figured I touch up after clear coating. (I just wanted to be done with the project at that point).

I hand made the taillights from Aluminum Tubing and rod. I Scavenged the Headlight lenses and driving lights from my bits box. To conform to the specs for the series I used a Pioneer Mustang chassis which was stretched 1.8mm. The chassis also needed to be narrowed in the rear a bit (maybe 3mm). This was done by cutting off the rear bushing reinforcement and thinning the outside of the bushings. Gears are from Slotit I used the roll cage from the donor Pioneer Mustang, the interior is plastic card, the driver was someone I found in my bits box. The front wheels came from a Revellogram GT350 the rears are my last BWA32004s, with inserts turned down from the GT350.

Greenman62
    Last edited by greenman62; 08-05-2011, 11:47 AM.

Very cool Greenman! I learned to drive when I was 12 in my Fathers '63 Falcon Ranchero and my Grandmothers 61/62? Falcon sedan. I always wanted to build a '63 street car and bought a '63 Falcon Sedan Delivery but got interested in Early Bronco's (66-77) and sold it to buy my first Bronco.
    I have always had a sweet spot for these just because there were so many Mustangs out there.

Comment

Greenman62 That looks amazing. I hope to learn some from your work. I am going to have to create the pillars in my Coronet kit as it did not have the small triangle window frame and the B pillar...

Comment

Very kOoL indeed...

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

After all that, how much does the BODY weigh? How does it run?

Comment

Originally posted by OneHotDog View Post
              After all that, how much does the BODY weigh? How does it run?
              Don't know about "how does it run"... yet. The Mustang I sent last year weighed 95gms with added weight. The Falcon unweighted at this point weighs 85gms. After I get it to the track I'll have a better idea how to add weight. and where. I'm thinking I may add 5-10 grams... but I may not.

Greenman62

Comment

That looks Falcon great!

Comment

Don't you just love it when you do NOTHING different and the decals decide to freak out! ARGH!

Anyway, you must have fixed them because the car looks sweet.

Does that driver have a full 70s 'stache?

Comment

Originally posted by Danni O'Laisip View Post
                    Does that driver have a full 70s 'stache?
                    Nope... Beatnik... goatee.

Greenman62

Comment

That's too cool I am working on the new release trumpeter 1/24 63 ford falcon sprint in the same livery. Nice job altering the car it looks great and hopefully runs great. Love that ford falcon sprint trans am car. He actually drove that car to the race with his crew and thats why he had a passenger seat with full backseat in the race car!!
                      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
                        He actually drove that car to the race with his crew and thats why he had a passenger seat with full backseat in the race car!!
                        Chris
                        ...and that don't happen anymore... except for Mike Jackson in Georgia, who drives his TR4 to the races with his camping gear, tools, racing wheels and tires in a tow along trailer.

Greenman62

Comment

Really great work, again.

Comment

Beautiful car.... and even better thread title! At least one of us appreciates it.

Comment

Beautiful car! I would love to put one of those together.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X