Aston Martin DBR-1 Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aston Martin DBR-1 Project

OK, I started with a 38 gram Ocar body of the Aston Martin DBR-1. With lots of sanding, filing and cutting, I now have it down to a slim and trim 23 grams. There is still more I can take out but for now, I'll let that rest.

Last edited by rixvette; 08-13-2011, 06:40 PM.

Nice.....

I presume the blue markings are cut lines?

regards

Comment

No, John. They are there to show me where the fender bulges stop. That is so I can see them from the other side when I hold the body up to the light. The thickness caliper also helps me keep it consistent. Some places are still over 3/32" but for the most part, it is the same thickness. I have some time yet before it will get a mold so I can double check everything then. I have a master for the grill bars waiting on the side too. The interior will be rolled and pleated bucket seats and a small flat dash. The top of the dash is part of the body.
      I have to evaluate how far off the dimensions are before I decide to chop, cut and rebuild it.
      Last edited by rixvette; 08-17-2011, 05:05 AM.

Comment

RV, love the DBR-1, I think it was Stirling Moss who said it was the best handling car he ever drove. And, I think the original is one of the best looking cars ever built, but that Ocar body looks way to "plump" to me. I think you have a real challenge ahead of you to get it looking right. I'm definitely on your side on this one, good luck with it.

Jim

Comment

The thickness caliper also helps
          I use the eyechrometer and the forefinger and thumb.
          I tend to work loosely at times and my builds can suffer.
          Each new build I set out to be more precise but then the frenzy takes over....
          I must be more disciplined.

Comment

I use a few simple tools to try to eliminate serious problems.

Comment

I have re-evaluated the DBR-1 and realized that it is not that far off. If I take 1/8" out of the middle, it will be within a 1/16" all around. The wheelbase is the same as the Barchetta so if anyone needs a chassis to go with the AM, I will have one. So, now it is in line behind the Porsche 356 Coupe, the Mercedes 300 SL and the Ferrari 250 LM.

Comment

Well, the saw went out of its mind and took control of my hand. The body is cut down the middle. This photo is showing the halves taped together. One more added to the list. I think this is most like the original. Long and lean. The wheelbase is still the same as the Ferrari 166 MM.

Comment

That butt looks mighty slim..

Comment

Yessir, the difference in track is 2.5". Also, in the photos, I noticed that the front wheels were well inside the fenders but the rears were right at the fender edge. I will measure the front and rear and see what I have come up with.

Comment

you know , you are very impressive . also , very balllsy !

jer , nicely done , sir ! and , if that does fit the barchetta frame , i`ll have to have one .

Comment

Originally posted by rixvette View Post
                        Yessir, the difference in track is 2.5". Also, in the photos, I noticed that the front wheels were well inside the fenders but the rears were right at the fender edge. I will measure the front and rear and see what I have come up with.
                        RV, all the sources I checked said the track was the same front and rear at 51.5", or am I reading your statement wrong? Not surprising that the front bodywork might be slightly wider to allow room for steering the front wheels. The wheelbase, at 90.0" should also match some of the Cobra chassis out there.

Comment

You are right, Zoom. When I said 'track' I was thinking width. The front fenders seem to be bulbous to allow for the wheels to turn at full suspension compression.

Comment

Originally posted by rixvette View Post
                            I have re-evaluated the DBR-1 and realized that it is not that far off. If I take 1/8" out of the middle, it will be within a 1/16" all around. The wheelbase is the same as the Barchetta so if anyone needs a chassis to go with the AM, I will have one. So, now it is in line behind the Porsche 356 Coupe, the Mercedes 300 SL and the Ferrari 250 LM.
                            Is the 300SL going to be a gullwing or a roadster? Say gullwing please. Can't find a reasonable priced 1/32 scale model of a gullwing.

Your DBR-1 looks great. I love the 50's sportscars/racers.

What will be the pricing on this one?

- John

Comment

The Mercedes is a coup. Each body kit is $25. The Barchetta chassis, which might fit more than one car, is $10 including the pod.

Comment

Working...
                              X