casting clear parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stillplayswithtoycars View Post
    I think I need to clarify, I'm not necessarily talking about just headlight lenses, per se, but the overall head light assembly front. I.E. a Lola T70 MKIIIB lens, with it's fancy molded cover that is integrated into the body, or an LMP headlight lens...

I think I "may" have found a resin suitable, but it would seem like you'd have to have a LOT of headlight lenses to have lined up, in order to use even a small amount of the resin...

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/m...sting_resin/75
    You mean like this maybe, use an epoxy based casting resin. This was poured directly into the light buckets, it works for some, and not for others.

Comment

I have cast windows and headlight lenses for a Porsche 917 project I was working on. I used some hobby grade stuff for putting like flowers, insects, ect. in a clear cube of plastic. got it at Michels. I used two part molds to get it thin. It worked pretty good, very little bubbles and was very clear. Like others said took a long time to set, like weeks before it got hard and could touch it. I put the project aside and never finished it, just recently came across some of the cast parts in a box and the clear stuff has slight yellowed after several years.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAMONG View Post
        .....If you use a pressure pot or vacuum to get the moisture out. What will matter is how thin the item your casting is

I casted the entire car windows were vacuum formed. To thin to cast......
        ....I casted the roof and windshield support
        https://public.fotki.com/modelnut/32-ford-roadster/
        We are talking about casting clear parts...

Moisture ? I have never had moisture in my glass parts.

Too thin ? The thinnest I have cast last week were for a 43rd scale Cheetah from SPARK, 0.3 mm thin.

Kosmo

n.b.: The resin I use is not available in shops, I got it directly from a producer for personal use only because it is not really good for health - I must cast in my airbrush exhaust ventilation box.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosmo View Post
          We are talking about casting clear parts...

Moisture ? I have never had moisture in my glass parts.

Too thin ? The thinnest I have cast last week were for a 43rd scale Cheetah from SPARK, 0.3 mm thin.

Kosmo

n.b.: The resin I use is not available in shops, I got it directly from a producer for personal use only because it is not really good for health - I must cast in my airbrush exhaust ventilation box.

Yes certain products are more susceptible to moisture. The product I used would have a small cloudy look to it if not in a pressure pot or vacuum.
          The issue with the thickness was if it was to thin it would not cure correctly and it would usually take about 48hrs to cure in a pressure pot. The products I use from Smooth-on are not a dangerous product like the one you used.

Comment

Working...
          X