Cox Ferrari Dino Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cox Ferrari Dino Restoration

This is a restoration I did a while back, but it has been waiting for its reworked motor.......motor finally finished, so, now it is complete.

It started as a somewhat well used version, and other than the rollbar, and rear taillight lenses, it uses stock parts......well I did replace the plastic grills with mesh.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

The chassis was well oxidised, and needed a clean up....after a good scrub, it was given a light coat of Tamiya Light gun metal (I took these pics. outside on a cloudy/dark day. and the chassis colour is lighter than it appears)......not original I know, but much better than its previous condition, and, the dreaded oxidation will not come back. The rear bushings were replaced with Slick 7 3/16 x 1/8 oilites, again, not original, but they really transform the car.

The motor, (original and correct) now has a drillblank shaft, new Kirkwood comm, mild 80 x 31 wind, arm balance, shimmed magnets, soldered in can bushing, and new brushes/springs.

Last edited by chrisguyw; 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM.

Dino

Nicely done Mike. Very beautiful job on the body and chassis.

Paul

Comment

That looks great. What did we pay for those as a kid, $10? Arghhh...

Comment

Great looking car! Paint job looks fantastic. Chassis is really interesting. A lot of work on rebuilding that motor, Chris.

I'll bet it's a runner, too...................

Audi1
        Last edited by Audi1; 10-29-2014, 06:15 PM.

Comment

A tip of the hat, sir. Quite nice.

Comment

Wow... That's gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by kidvoltage View Post
              That looks great. What did we pay for those as a kid, $10? Arghhh...

$8.98 for the 1/24 kits, $6.98 for the 1/32 kits.........not that cheap at the time, but, I sure would like to get them for that now!!

Cheers
              Chris

Comment

Chris, that is one exquisite restoration!

I have a Cox GT40 awaiting salvation and was thinking of clear coating the chassis after cleaning up the corrosion, but that gun metal paint looks cool and has the advantage of covering up some of the rougher bits of magnesium.

Old23

Comment

Originally posted by Old23 View Post
                  Chris, that is one exquisite restoration!

I have a Cox GT40 awaiting salvation and was thinking of clear coating the chassis after cleaning up the corrosion, but that gun metal paint looks cool and has the advantage of covering up some of the rougher bits of magnesium.

Old23

Hi Stewart, Make sure you use the "light" gun metal (TS42) from Tamiya.........you will get less flack from the purists........the correct hue is "pink" and can be duplicated by using a clear coat with just a hint of candy apple red mixed in. As you mentioned, my chassis had a couple of rough bits that the light gun metal disguised.

Chris Walker

Comment

What a great looking car!!!!!

Comment

Well done Chris

The dashboard looks amazing as does the rest of the car
                      Some nice tips in there as well

Cheers

Comment

Wow, she looks beautiful. Fantastic work.

Ive got a 1:32 cox ford gt wich is also looking for some real attention. Youve given me some new inspiration for the ford.

Gavin

Comment

Very nice Chris.

Comment

Nice restoration Chris. I'm working on one of my own which is missing a lot more pieces. Had to fabricate an interior dash from an old monogram kit. What did you use for tail lights? Mine are missing as well.

Comment

Hi Bill, I used MV model railroad lenses.........they (MV) make lenses in all kinds of sizes and colours, and while a touch expensive, they are by far the best choice for an accurate looking lens. I have used them for dashboard warning lights, headlights, and taillights......worth the extra cost.

Cheers
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X