X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrisguyw
    started a topic Cox Ferrari Dino Restoration

Cox Ferrari Dino Restoration

This is a restoration I did a while back, but it has been waiting for its reworked motor.......motor finally finished, so, now it is complete.

It started as a somewhat well used version, and other than the rollbar, and rear taillight lenses, it uses stock parts......well I did replace the plastic grills with mesh.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

The chassis was well oxidised, and needed a clean up....after a good scrub, it was given a light coat of Tamiya Light gun metal (I took these pics. outside on a cloudy/dark day. and the chassis colour is lighter than it appears)......not original I know, but much better than its previous condition, and, the dreaded oxidation will not come back. The rear bushings were replaced with Slick 7 3/16 x 1/8 oilites, again, not original, but they really transform the car.

The motor, (original and correct) now has a drillblank shaft, new Kirkwood comm, mild 80 x 31 wind, arm balance, shimmed magnets, soldered in can bushing, and new brushes/springs.

Last edited by chrisguyw; 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM.

• Ziggy
    replied
    Beautifull.Nice work.That chassis reminds me of my first Cox Chaparral.I was 14 and me and my cousin got the same car.Brand new in the box.I was shaking when I opened the box.One of those feelings you only get once in your life.

Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• Scorpio
    replied
    That Dino is beautiful Chris.
    Fantastic work.

Leave a comment:

• chrisguyw
    replied
    Originally posted by Reegs View Post
    Been needing an answer for a ton of years ...
    does that chassis allow you to move the motor forward/backward so you can change gear ratios?
    Yes!.......the "Team Modified" chassis from Cox (both the 16d and the 36D versions) allowed for this.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Leave a comment:

• Modlerbob
    replied
    I would sure like to see that body on a Carrera 1/32 Ferrari.

Leave a comment:

• Reegs
    replied
    Been needing an answer for a ton of years ...
    does that chassis allow you to move the motor forward/backward so you can change gear ratios?

Leave a comment:

• Slotbob
    replied
    Excellent paint, and excellent restoration choices.

I always strive for "stock-like, but better".

You have certainly achieved that.

Leave a comment:

• kidvoltage
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
    $8.98 for the 1/24 kits, $6.98 for the 1/32 kits.........not that cheap at the time, but, I sure would like to get them for that now!!

Cheers
    Chris
    That was either a lot of bottle returns, or a few days in the strawberry fields. Yes, I'm a slow picker.

Leave a comment:

• WRW13
    replied
    According to my inflation calculator, $11 in 1966 = $81.50 today. This is right in line with the Carrera cars, an half price of the BRMs.

Bill

Originally posted by dgersh View Post
    Nice restoration Chris! How does it run?

These were listed at $10.98 and came in a double kit: you got two bodies, spyder and coupé, and a single chassis. That's also why it's easier to find a body than a chassis - it was the only Cox kit with this sidewinder chassis for a 16D, and the wheels are special also.

The Cox F1 cars were $7.98 (a buck or two more than the others at the time), and the Cheetah, Ford GT and Lotus 30/40 were $9.98. The 1/32 cars were $7.98

For some of the repro parts, try bradblohm on ebay...

Don

Leave a comment:

• s.o.f.
    replied
    Chris, where do you get your wire mesh? I have been buying a dollar store strainer but the mesh looks more course than yours.

Leave a comment:

• dgersh
    replied
    Nice restoration Chris! How does it run?

These were listed at $10.98 and came in a double kit: you got two bodies, spyder and coupé, and a single chassis. That's also why it's easier to find a body than a chassis - it was the only Cox kit with this sidewinder chassis for a 16D, and the wheels are special also.

The Cox F1 cars were $7.98 (a buck or two more than the others at the time), and the Cheetah, Ford GT and Lotus 30/40 were $9.98. The 1/32 cars were $7.98

For some of the repro parts, try bradblohm on ebay...

Don

Leave a comment:

• CKR
    replied
    I just picked up a body at a slot car show for three bucks. It's missing the rollbar, steering wheel,driver, windscreen,both tailights,and a headlight lens. It's scuffed up and there's a little misplaced glue but it'll clean up nice. Time to start tracking down parts! You did an excellent job on that one it's beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• f1nutz
    replied
    Thanks for the tip I'll look for them. They do look great!

Leave a comment:

• chrisguyw
    replied
    Hi Bill, I used MV model railroad lenses.........they (MV) make lenses in all kinds of sizes and colours, and while a touch expensive, they are by far the best choice for an accurate looking lens. I have used them for dashboard warning lights, headlights, and taillights......worth the extra cost.

Cheers
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• f1nutz
    replied
    Nice restoration Chris. I'm working on one of my own which is missing a lot more pieces. Had to fabricate an interior dash from an old monogram kit. What did you use for tail lights? Mine are missing as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X