Nuvolari's Italian Stallion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuvolari's Italian Stallion

Awhile back Marc Tyler of Immense Miniatures sent me an earlier prototype of his first Tazio Nuvolari figure. At last someone was addressing an issue had I complained mightily about. The terrible drivers in RTR slot cars. Not only did his drivers look like real people he went to the point of creating personalities. Nuvolari was the first such personality driver. His first offering was a tad large (Tazio was small but wirey). His second issue of "Il Maestro" is on the money! I confess I didn't have a car to put him in at the time besides, there were several projects in the way... and then where to put the man. George Turner came to the rescue.

This is a 1935 Alfa 8C GP car liveried as the 1936 Coppa Ciaon GP at Montenero which Nuvolari drove to the win. Turner's cars are superb... his driver figures, not so much. I feel pairing Immense Miniatures drivers with Turner's cars is a match made in heaven.

On to the specifics. I built a soldered brass "rattle pan" chassis using my last (sigh) BWA FF type motor mount. The wheels are a combination of my last pair of PST wheels (front) and PCS (rears from Pendles) 19" spoked wheels. The motor is a scalextric 20K slim can, the gears and axles are Slotit. The guide is Scale auto. I had Mike at MCW paints look up the proper Prewar Alfa color which he supplied in Alkyd lacquer which was sprayed over their red oxide primer. After the decals were applied, I clear coated with Duplicolor automotive enamel. Before you history wonks complain I know the car is a bit wide for scale accuracy, that said I wanted something that would be a bit more competitive... you see, I own no shelf queens.

Here's the hardware for you builders

Greenman62

A beautifully executed example to say the least.

Comment

Just your usual Greenman build - outstanding!

EM

BTW Beardog does a nice FF can rear bracket - can be assembled as straight or offset gearing

Comment

Beautiful.

The cylinders on each side of the car, in front of the rear wheels. On the 1:1, are those radiators of some sort?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto_Girl View Post
          Beautiful.

The cylinders on each side of the car, in front of the rear wheels. On the 1:1, are those radiators of some sort?
          Yup... Oil coolers

Greenman62

Comment

That is gorgeous!

Comment

Beautiful car, well done sir!

Comment

Your work is wonderful, the Alfa looks marvelous. Could you tell me what the PST in PST wheels stands for, and where you can purchase them? I've never heard of PST wheels but they look great.

Comment

Originally posted by robert payne View Post
                  Your work is wonderful, the Alfa looks marvelous. Could you tell me what the PST in PST wheels stands for, and where you can purchase them? I've never heard of PST wheels but they look great.
                  PST, Peter Seeger Thomas produced 5 piece wheels in the UK. Unfortunately, he's no longer making the wheels. I guessing it wasn't financially viable to continue. I was very fortunate to get the sets I did.

Greenman62

Comment

Greenman62,

Thanks for the information on the PST wheels. That's a shame they are no longer in production.

Comment

Peter has some more wheels in the works.

However they are car specific, and need to be assembled.

Chris

Comment

Cool! Assembling his wheels has never been an issue!

Greenman62

Comment

It's a runner!

After taking beauty shots of the Alfa I took it to the F1 races last week at WbOs' track. Prior to this I had only done a few gentle laps around the track. Under competition the car ran very smoothly, thanks to the brass chassis it tracked straight and quietly. The skinny urethane rear tires provided excellent grip, not too sticky but, with enough tail action to make the car feel quite "in period". It's a joy to drive. The Alfa ran with a variety of open wheel cars from a variety of periods including modern F1. If memory serves I finished 4th overall and 1st in class. You people know I'm not overly fond of open wheel cars... in this case I'm gonna make an exception!

Greenman62

Comment

Beautiful job!

....spectacular, in fact. Congratulations!

-Max

Comment

Very nice. The expression you captured is priceless, intense and gruff.

Comment

Working...
                              X