On my workbench...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On my workbench...

An AMT '61 Ford Falcon Ranchero on an SCX Cadillac LMP chassis with CB Design wheels.

It will sport a Scalextric stock 18k motor running mild gearing of 9:24. I have drilled out the rear light lenses to install 1.8mm red LEDs. I'm not sure what I will do with the front lights as the parts in the kit are 100% chrome - it looks okay on the rears but would look weird on the fronts. I may have a look in some other kits to see if I have any clear elements that would work better.

Bed has been cut out in a couple places to allow for motor and crown gear. I was going to cut out the whole lower bed and fabricate a tonneau cover but have decided on something else.

Peter

Pendles has clear headlamp lenses in several sizes - also often found a model railroad shops

EM

Comment

Originally posted by Ecurie Martini View Post
      Pendles has clear headlamp lenses in several sizes - also often found a model railroad shops

EM
      Hey thanks for reminding me... I know of a local supplier who should have something that will work.

Peter

Comment

Good Thread

Hey, Pete - you're getting ever better at this stuff! Cheers, Paul

Comment

That is a cool little ride.

Suggestions simply for your review:

>Consider sliding the body back a tick on the wheelbase to put the front wheels where they belong, and then open the front of the rear wheel wells a little to get them "correct" as well. I think the rear of the rear wheel wells would still be fine.

The rear wheel wells could be an issue...but then, it may be a good thing as it may be a good excuse to "tub" them to gain additional clearance for more rear rubber anyway, I dunno...

>Bed--The front hole could be "filled" with a gas tank of some sort. Either a moon tank/beer keg affair or my pick--an ATL cell type thing.

Then, another floor, slightly shallower than stock, could be added above the existing bed to "lose" the ring gear.
          Last edited by Slotbob; 10-11-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slotbob View Post
            That is a cool little ride.

Suggestions simply for your review:

>Consider sliding the body back a tick on the wheelbase to put the front wheels where they belong, and then open the front of the rear wheel wells a little to get them "correct" as well. I think the rear of the rear wheel wells would still be fine.
            I am already considering changing to an adjustable wheelbase chassis. The issue is that the front of the existing chassis is too wide and the tires slightly rub on the fender wells. And yes the wheelbase is slightly off, which does bug me.

The rear wheel wells could be an issue...but then, it may be a good thing as it may be a good excuse to "tub" them to gain additional clearance for more rear rubber anyway, I dunno...
            The rears actually sit dead center in the wells molded into the bed. They are free running and have lots of clearance. I am using 15x7 wheels and don't want any more rubber on the rear end. This model is more for joy riding than racing. And if I did race it in my local club the rules state that wheel/tire combinations must be period correct, or as close as possible.

>Bed--The front hole could be "filled" with a gas tank of some sort. Either a moon tank/beer keg affair or my pick--an ATL cell type thing.

Then, another floor, slightly shallower than stock, could be added above the existing bed to "lose" the ring gear.
            Like I said, I have a solution, very similar to what you suggest. Think of what a race fan might have in the bed on race day at the track.

Pete

Comment

Looks fantastic Peter....
              I love those old Rancheros

Comment

That looks great!

That is looking great...! You building it for a Trans Am Series?

Scott

Comment

Love me some Falcon Rancheros...

Glad to see you doing this build, Peter... Gonna follow
                  your progress, eagerly...

Here's a very bad photo of my old bomb... 1962...
                  If not the best car I ever owned, definitely the 2nd best...

John

Comment

Yup.

Jim, a friend of mine back in the 70's & 80's, had a Ranchero with a 429 and Hurst 4-on-the-floor. Done to the ... whatever that word is ... pipes were so low you had to crawl the thing over the curb when you went into the gas station. Which was often.

When you drove that thing hard, you kept your left hand at the top of the wheel to countersteer when the back end went sideways on every upshift. Seriously, that car could leave rubber in every gear.

I feel sorry for these young people in Prius's and Smart Cars, they have no idea ...

Comment

Geeze you guys... no pressure eh?

I already messed up the paint so it went into a Varsol bath and I will head to Walmart for some fresh Krylon. Also removed the mounting posts for the SCX Cadillac chassis and will transfer over to either a PCS or Penelope Pitlane Clubman.

More to come.

Peter

Comment

No pressure Pete! LOL

Think of it as intended = enthusiasm!

I was thinking of a "schlevarnicqued" wood bed with a beer keg. Schle-varn-icqued is the word my old man used to describe a Shellac, Varnish, or Lacquer process/application.

Comment

Originally posted by model murdering View Post
                          No pressure Pete! LOL

Think of it as intended = enthusiasm!

I was thinking of a "schlevarnicqued" wood bed with a beer keg. Schle-varn-icqued is the word my old man used to describe a Shellac, Varnish, or Lacquer process/application.
                          Y'know ... shum uv YOU guys .. have a bit .. of an ...... OBSESSION .. with this beerkeg thang ...

Comment

off topic

But darned cool:

Comment

Hubba hubba!

Comment

Working...
                              X