Best way to clean vintage cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean vintage cars

What's the best way to clean vintage cars ? I have been collecting vintage slots for a while now and have always been afraid I would damage the bodies.

What I use is the Japanese? Foaming hand cleaner and a tooth brush. I am sure you can find similar.

What comes out of the dispenser is a lightweight foam. Because it is anti-bacterial it has a very small amount of alcohol? and cuts well through grease/muck etc.

Rinse with water.

Comment

What is the car? How vintage is it? Model, condition, value? Decaled, sealed, cleared? Molded in color, painted, lexan?

It should be approached as a conservation process. Always err to the side of caution and never assume anything.

Comment

I have some Atlas monogram revel and Russ-kit cars. Not sure of some of the ages.. if I can figure out how to post pictures up I would welcome any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by alat1 View Post
          I have some Atlas monogram revel and Russ-kit cars. Not sure of some of the ages.. if I can figure out how to post pictures up I would welcome any suggestions.
          Hi, keep posting! Although a long-time SCI Member, you haven't yet reached the 25+ posts needed to automatically get your own Member Gallery/Album, but you're close.

Can't think of anything to say (never my problem, ahem ... ) and want to use another medium? You'll find instructions in FAQ.

A lot of members have used Photobucket, but there has been criticism recently; this has resulted in this potentially useful thread.

Hope this helps, some!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have had some of these cars for a long time some of them belonged to my grandfather and passed down to me.

Comment

My Atlas Ferrari that could use a bit of cleaning

Comment

Hi alat, Many vintage collectors actually leave the bodies of the cars with the "patina" that they have accumulated over the years. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving them a clean, and for the Allas, I would remove the body, and give it light brush with some warm water, a soft toothbrush, and a little dish liquid.
                This will remove the dirt/grime, and give you a better idea if there is anything else that needs to be attended to underneath. (Your pictures are quite small so it is difficult to see exactly what else, if anything, needs doing).

Cheers
                Chris Walker

Comment

Thanks for the information.. I will try to post up better pictures. I have a nice almost mint in the box vintage monogram lotus that could use a bit of cleaning but I would like to post pictures first to get opinions.

Comment

Just keep replying, with inconsequential remarks!

Or start a thread in the Test Forum and reply to yourself a few times ... only 5 more posts and your SCI Album/Gallery/Thingy will appear ...

Comment

Thanks for the Help

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                        Just keep replying, with inconsequential remarks!

snip *****...
                        Hey! I resemble that remark!

Comment

Hopefully I will have some pictures resized soon

Comment

Found my gallery in User CP.

Comment

Resized some pictures last night. And still can't get them to post

Comment

Working...
                              X