Body Filler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Filler

Is there anybody who has used the Testors model body filler in a Tube, is there anything that can be used in place of it. If so what are you using. I have found it has a very short shelf life, and tends to dry to quickly, do to the fact you don't know how old it is and how long it has been sitting on the shelf Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I like Tamiya putty. It has a good shelf life and is easy to work with. Also cheap and easy to find.

Comment

Ditto on the Tamiya putty. I use the "basic" stuff which is grey. There is also a white version which is OK too.

Comment

I use autobody spot filler. Most auto supplies stores have the stuff in a tube, and it works great.

Dan

Comment

I've been dismissed once before for suggesting this, but I've had very good results 'melting' scrap styrene in liquid styrene cement, creating a thick styrene paste. You can make it as thick as you like.

It's not good for ALL such applications, but where you need the strength of the original, intact body it fits the bill. It's also good for installing/repairing mounting posts in styrene bodies. Eventually hardens to become part of the body.

Downsides. If the mixture is too much liquid cement, when you place it on the body it may 'melt' the surrounding areas, styrene cement operates after-all by 'melting' the plastic.

And it can take several days to fully set, it's a chemical reaction that has to work it's way through. So if you're in a hurry, it's not the way to go.

Comment

Tlbrace: Agreed!

... but here's more to it than the sticky base colloid. I've been doing undetectable repair and color matched restoration work in styrene for years. The beauty is that one can adjust the viscosity on the fly; which makes it extremely versatile. Regardless of what I'm working on, I always match my fillers to the parent material; so that there is not a huge disparity in hardness when tooling is applied.

I left a few steps out, but you get the idea.

BTW: It can also be sprayed and has an arguably superior depth and shine.

Comment

Working...
            X