Video about making slot car windows from Testors glue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video about making slot car windows from Testors glue

I saw a video a few weeks ago about how to quickly and easily make windows for slot cars by using Testors clear cement for windows. The guy used a toothpick to spread the glue over an open space to create a clear window. I can't seem to find it now.

Can someone find that video?

I could not find the video, but I did find this:

For Making Windows: Clear Parts Cement also can be used to make small windows, as it dries as clear as glass! It is perfect for small aircraft cockpit and cabin windows, Auto headlights and side windows.

Squeeze a small amount into a clean bottle cap or other receptacle. Dip a small brush handle into the cement and ease the handle around the window opening and then pull it out leaving a thin layer of film. This will dry as clear as glass resulting in a perfectly scaled, precisely fitting window.

This technique requires a bit of practice so if you don't get a perfect window the first time, wipe cement away and try again.

This is a reference to Testors Model Master Clear Parts Cement and Window Maker.

Comment

I have done this a few times when I was more involved in building static kits......for these it works quite well, for a slot car.......a tad fragile would be a good description

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Comment

I think the video was referring to HO slot cars.

Comment

I have been using it very often for quite small and even windows in static plane models.

It is very thin an fragile.
          It is not usable on bigger areas such as windows of 32nd scale - not even 43rd scale - slotcar models because the surface tension is not high enough to connect and close the whole window area and keep it closed.

Besides that you only get even surfaces. i.e. you could not make any bent or convex window ( front, rear ).

Roland

Comment

If you can fashion a plug vacuum forming is usually easiest.

Comment

Ok, this was for an HO project, but it sounds like it would be too fragile. Thanks guys

Comment

I bought some of the Teators product and I will give it a try tomorrow. I have also been looking for something to glue homemade windows in place, up to now I have been using Elmer's glue.

Comment

I prefer acetate.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                    I bought some of the Teators product and I will give it a try tomorrow. I have also been looking for something to glue homemade windows in place, up to now I have been using Elmer's glue.
                    Once upon a time there was a product called "Aileen's" we used for plane canopies.

Comment

Tacky,it was.

Originally posted by model murdering View Post
                      Once upon a time there was a product called "Aileen's" we used for plane canopies.
                      That was some really tacky glue...
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X