X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike SoCal
    started a topic AMT 1/32 Studebaker Avanti

AMT 1/32 Studebaker Avanti

I found this model kit at Hobby Lobby in the clearance section and could not pass it up. The chassis is a previous scratch built that had a wheelbase that happened to fit the wheelbase of the Avanti. I modified the chassis body mounts from four pin tubes to a two screw post mount to allow body float.
    This was my first attempt at modify a plastic kit body to fit a brass chassis. The first cut of the interior left more of the interior visible which looked good, but the motor and motor bracket dis-agreed on that configuration. I re-cut the depth of the interior to allow for the motor and bracket to have the necessary clearance.
    The paint scheme is orange blending into a golden yellow. Paint is Createx wicked colors that were airbrushed.

The drive train consist of a Plafit Fox4 motor, geared 10/30, wheels are four BWA 15.8mm x 9.7mm rims , PGT urethane tires on the rear and some spare Slot.it rubber tires on the front. These are not the final tires, they were on hand and I wanted to test drive the car once the body mounting issue was solved.
    The decals were all supplied in the model kit with the exception of the Goodyear decal on the fender panel.

Thanks,

Mike

• BWA
    replied
    Good job, nice to see my wheels still being used occasionally....

Leave a comment:

• mike SoCal
    replied
    Originally posted by LegoPete View Post
    Still waiting on some body mounting screws. I ordered 100 for about $3 so they are on a slow boat from you know where. Delivery date range upper end is January 3, 2017, so soon, I hope. If you look at the latest pictures in the thread you can see how I have handled the cut bed issue for covering the motor hole. I still have to figure out something for the crown gear hole - I actually think I could have done the car without cutting a slot for the crown gear because it's a 24 tooth. Anything bigger and you will definitely need to cut some of the bed away.

Peter
    The cooler is a nice fit and conceals the motor.
    Smart solution.

Thanks,

Mike

Leave a comment:

• LegoPete
    replied
    Originally posted by mike SoCal View Post
    Pete,
    How is the ranchero working out?
    I have consider the ranchero for my next project. My concern was motor clearance without losing the rear bed. Could create a bed cover but that would take away part of the appeal.

Thanks
    Mike
    Still waiting on some body mounting screws. I ordered 100 for about $3 so they are on a slow boat from you know where. Delivery date range upper end is January 3, 2017, so soon, I hope. If you look at the latest pictures in the thread you can see how I have handled the cut bed issue for covering the motor hole. I still have to figure out something for the crown gear hole - I actually think I could have done the car without cutting a slot for the crown gear because it's a 24 tooth. Anything bigger and you will definitely need to cut some of the bed away.

Peter
    Last edited by LegoPete; 12-31-2016, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mike SoCal
    replied
    Pete,
    How is the ranchero working out?
    I have consider the ranchero for my next project. My concern was motor clearance without losing the rear bed. Could create a bed cover but that would take away part of the appeal.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by mike SoCal; 12-28-2016, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike-
    replied
    Funny -
    I bought the same kit a coupla months back. I have a friend that has a full sized Avanti, and I'm going to (one of these days) put together a slot car for him to set on a shelf. Though...not before I put a few laps on it here at home..!

Yours looks good. I was thinking of a similar, simple chassis for Johns car.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• LegoPete
    replied
    Looks great. Love the colour. I have one in my cupboard waiting to get done - it got "leapfrogged" by my AMT 1/32 Ranchero.
    Last edited by LegoPete; 12-28-2016, 10:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• noddaz
    replied
    Nice job!

That looks great!. Reminds me that I have one at home to work on...

Scott

Leave a comment:

Working...
X