• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hufo
    started a topic Watson Indy Ford ??

Watson Indy Ford ??

Hello SCI-ers,

To start a new year, here I am with some "old stuff" ...
    Included you'll find photos of a 1/24 scale body (Patto's Place), wich was sleeping for already some time in a box at my slotracing attick.
    It's called "Watson Indy Ford 1967" (regarding the refs. in Patto's catalog)
    My problem is, I can't find a picture of the 1/1 car, as I want to find out what kind of exhaust pipes.
    Were they on top of the motor (alike Lotus) or were they on each side of the motorcompartment, on top or at the bottom, or whatever ... ???

The decals I used or probably not the wright ones, so don't take any notice of that.
    I just want to know what kind of exhaust pipes ...

Can anybody help me? (PLEASE)

Lots of Slots

Hufo

• Al's slotracing
    replied
    The Gerhardt Offys from the 1967 Indy 500 are somewhere near, but lack the bulging side tanks They give an idea how a turbos Offy fits with that sort of engine cover.

Mel Kenyon's Gerhardt Offy 1967 Indy 500

Art Pollard's Gerhardt Offy 1967 Indy 500 - note different shaped nose

Bobby Grim's Gerhardt Offy 1967 Indy 500

Leave a comment:

• Hufo
    replied
    Well done GT6!

You're wright, it is a copy of the Lancer body, it's catalog nr. 222.
    I've found some photos of the Lancer body, but not of the real car, however,
    I think I 've enough info to continue the job.
    Thanks GT6, and all other SCI-ers.

Lots of Slots
    Hufo

Leave a comment:

• GT6
    replied
    Originally posted by Hufo View Post
    ...almost all cars are photographed from the same angle, same side.
    Now I'm almost certain that, in front of the "ducktale", is positionned (I suppose) the Offy turbo outlet, and on the left side is the exhaustpipe.

The final questions I have now are:
    was there an exhaustpipe also on the right side?
    So were there exhaustpipes on both sides of the car's motorcover?
    And, where can I find such a Offy turbo outlet, or any tips to make it myself? (1/24 scale)
    hi Huffo

You're right, the preponderance of indycar photos are left side - maybe all photographers restricted to the infield ?

Also suspect you're correct in supposing the body you have was roughly modeled after something with a turbo Offenhauser motor. Fortunately, almost all the interesting bits are on the left side - exhust pipes and turbo. The right side just has the intake plenum that feeds air to that side on the engine.

There's some pretty good shots of a model of a turbo Offy that you can use for reference here:
    http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/htm...?id=GMP0601004
    And shots from both sides of a 1967 turbo Offy Gerhardt about halfway down this page:
    http://melkenyon.tripod.com/indycarstats.html - has a ducktail and shows where the pipes go. There's even an oil cooler in the right place (that silver lump just aft of the gas tank bulge on the right side). I'm thinking that a '67 Gerhardt was likely the inspiration for this body mold.

I suspect you may have to scavenge a turbo from some 1/24 donor kit and cobble together the intake and exhaust plumbing to fit. Look on the popular web auction site under "1/24 turbocharger"
    Good luck

cheers
    Scott

Post Script: found this pic when browsing - looks like its a Lancer body (or direct copy thereof) of a Gerhard Offy:
    Last edited by GT6; 01-12-2017, 10:17 PM. Reason: additional info

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    The Offy engine was a straight four, it would only have an exhaust on one side.
    Last edited by RichD; 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hufo
    replied
    Okay SCI-ers,
    Thanks for all the effort helping me in search of ...

Based on the tips you all 've been giving me, I've been searching myself too.
    It seems like there's no Watson Indy Ford 1967 to find, BUT!
    I'v' been studying some photos of Indy Cars, and my conclusion is the following:

almostall cars are photograhed from the same angle, same side.
    Now I'm almost certain that, in front of the "ducktale", is positionned (I suppose) the Offy turbo outlet, and on the left side is the exhaustpipe.

The final questions I have now are:
    was there an exhaustpipe also on the right side?
    So were there exhaustpipes on both sides of the car's motorcover?
    And, where can I find such a Offy turbo outlet, or any tips to make it myself? (1/24 scale)

Lots of Slots
    Hufo

Leave a comment:

• jokar124
    replied
    Or is it....

To me, Hufo's slot body looks just like the #16 Thermo King Gerhardt as driven by Art Pollard at Indy in 1967, with the addition of a bulging side tank.
    All other details match up, but good luck making the turbo Offy exhaust bits! Check it out at "OldRacingCars.com". As ctdurf mentions, the Eisert-built
    Chevy-powered 1966 "Harrison Special" is also a fairly close match.

Jo S.
    Last edited by jokar124; 01-04-2017, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ctdurf
    replied
    There were any number of Indy Cars , mostly from 66 and 67 that ran some sort of duck-tail style rear bodywork . The body you have looks a lot like one of the sold off and modified Lotus 38's based on the shape of the nose . there were also an untold number of knock-off copies that had unusual bodywork .However , the engine cover details , particularly the narrow slots along the lower sides looks more like a Chevy powered car . The 4 cam fords with the exhaust semi-enclosed all ha part of the top of the exhaust protruding through the engine cover . Also the height of the exit of the pipes I don't think would line up on the low vent in the back of the cover . If you compare the two pictures , the slots in the side of your body line up pretty well with the header exits on the Chevy powered car . The version in this particular picture has an "Eisert-ish" nose but that could be a detail that changed over time . I suspect if you kept digging into 66 and 67 Indy photos you will find the car that body is patterned after in that particular trim .

For some reason I can't access my gallery to bring photos forward . If you look or if you Google "Ronnie Duman Pactra" you should find the images .

Leave a comment:

• silverhelmet
    replied
    It looks to me

like a pair of pipes should exit the opening just ahead of the ducktail spoiler. And the high bodywork over the carbs or injectors could have a rectangular cutout and eight pipes showing. Almost flush. That's my solution and an easy fix. Any attempt to recreate the "bundle of snakes" exhaust would make the whole look kinda high unless you cut away some bodywork. My take.

Leave a comment:

• beardog racing
    replied
    I agree, it looks like a sorta generic car, and it becomes what ever you want it to be dictated by the livery that is used.

Leave a comment:

• Al's slotracing
    replied
    Agreed the paint job looks right for the Lesovski rebuilt Lotus Fords run by A J Foyt.
    Agreed the Patto shell looks more like a Hawk (which was basically a copy of a Brabham)
    Agreed the Indy Ford engine has exhausts as shown above.

But that doesn't tell us what a "Watson Indy Ford 1967" is. Possibly Patto hasn't got his naming quite right?

Apparently AJ Watson built a Ford powered 1967 indy car but it wasn't among the Indy 500 starters.
    Watson Fords ran at the 1965 and 1966 Indy 500 but those cars didn't look like the Patto shell - see link http://www.oldracingcars.com/watson/65/

Chuck Hulse in a Watson Ford at the 1966 Indy 500

This is AJ Watson in 1967 looking at the rear of a car looking rather like the shell Check out the link and see if you can figure out if that's the shell http://indiamond6.ulib.iupui.edu/cdm...n/IMS/id/17826

Leave a comment:

• beardog racing
    replied
    Indy Ford

Here ya go,

It's an A.J. Foyt car of some kind in that paint scheme, a rehash of a Lotus 34 or 38, here's some pix. It uses the standard birds nest Ford Exhaust.

As you can see different variations were run. There was two cars with this paint scheme, a Lotus 34 and a Lotus 38. As they were Foyt cars and he was modding all the time during qualifying
    it's hard too tell which is which, they eventually morphed into Coyotes. One of which won in 1967.

However the body you have looks more like a Dean Van Lines Special as driven by Andretti, pix below. And that was a copy of a Brabham, Patto's blob bodies are not that accurate...good luck.

And here's a close up of the exhaust:

Leave a comment:

• beardog racing
    replied
    Indy Ford

You've given it a A.J. Foyt paint scheme.
    Last edited by beardog racing; 01-04-2017, 08:25 AM. Reason: double post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X