Getting the word out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the word out

After lunch I stopped by a local hobby store that has a small slot car offering, mostly Scalextric, including some digital. On my way out I asked the guy behind the counter (don't go enough to know his name or status) if he would be cool with helping us spread the word about the club to his scalextric (digital) customers. He said that yeah, we could bring in some flyers or something and he could put them out somewhere.

So, I figured I'd try my hand at some kind of flyer or something. Anyone good at that kind of thing? I'll warn you, I have a critical eye to go along with my unskilled hand. ;-) But seriously, any help is welcome, especially if you have some experience with this kind of thing.

Also, once the flyer (or whatever) is done, it would be cool if others could approach the management of their LHS to ask about putting some flyers out. I know that Eagle Hobbies in Seattle has some digital stuff. Red Devil has a bunch of slots, but they're pretty hard core analog. There's a HobbyTown USA in Redmond town center. Don't know about Sammamish or Port Townsend. I know there's a small hobby shop in Port Angeles, but it's slot selection is pretty slim, and too far for Paul to make a trip for a non-existent market. ;-) More ideas on that front are also welcome. If we can catch local digital lovers where they buy their stuff, we might be able to increase our membership.

Any other ideas on getting the word out?

Remember Slot Cars? Now they change lanes, pass each other, bang fenders like the real cars at Le Mans, Daytona and Sebring. blah blah blah, you can fill in some more.

Comment

LOL, nice start, rix. I'll definitely put that in the idea pile.

Comment

Ok, I forgot about Rix suggestion as it had been so long, and I literally threw this together last night when I realized I hadn't done anything and wanted to git 'er done. So, here's the first draft, yanking an image from Scalextric's web site and trying to be enticing. The thing I really like is the 3d barcode at the bottom. Scan it with a smartphone and it will bring up the DRAWW web page on my site. It's easy to make barcodes like that with a variety of information, but the URL option seemed the best. I can have it point to any web page, though, so am open to suggestions for a better one than the one on my site. The main reason I chose that is because it has links to SCI and other DRAWW communication methods.

Please share input and ideas. The sooner we can nail this down, the sooner we can get flyers into stores.

Comment

Just a suggestion...Try to use bullets for some of the key points of interest. Makes for a quick read once their eyes are on the flyer (by way of your great picture/title). Then have the more descriptive information below that.

Hook 'em with the image, draw them into it with the bullets, then give them the meat.

Comment

Nice work Greg!

In addition to bibster's comments about bullet points, I am wondering if we want to add something about casual racing with our various sets of cars. We may get some people who aren't serious racers looking to pit their racing skills against us.

Comment

You might want to get Scalextric's permission to use their stuff too. There should be no problem if you let them know that you are promoting a local race event.

Comment

Great input, guys! I'll buzz Adrian, I'm sure it'll be ok for me to use that pic. I'll take another crack at it today/tonight, but keep posting ideas in the mean time.

Comment

Ok, Here's my second try.

Comment

Much better, I like it!

Comment

Ditto!

Comment

Thanks, guys. Still plenty of time for improving. Still waiting for the final OK from Adrian on using their image, though initial response was favorable. It's also possible he'll have something better or more suitable for our usage. In any case, don't go printing anything up just yet. ;-)

Comment

Needs more pit babes.

The rest of it looks great.

Comment

While pit babes would be fun for us adults, remember that you may have some kids who are interested too. Don't wanna put a bad taste in their parents mouths with 'inappropriate' images. After all, they are the peanut butter that will hold this hobby together in the future. Gotta get 'em in there and racin' with the current generation of racers!

Comment

Two thumbs up, Flip. You might want to substitute 'challenging' or 'exciting' for the word 'fun'.

Comment

Working...
                              X