X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrFlippant
    started a topic Getting the word out

Getting the word out

After lunch I stopped by a local hobby store that has a small slot car offering, mostly Scalextric, including some digital. On my way out I asked the guy behind the counter (don't go enough to know his name or status) if he would be cool with helping us spread the word about the club to his scalextric (digital) customers. He said that yeah, we could bring in some flyers or something and he could put them out somewhere.

So, I figured I'd try my hand at some kind of flyer or something. Anyone good at that kind of thing? I'll warn you, I have a critical eye to go along with my unskilled hand. ;-) But seriously, any help is welcome, especially if you have some experience with this kind of thing.

Also, once the flyer (or whatever) is done, it would be cool if others could approach the management of their LHS to ask about putting some flyers out. I know that Eagle Hobbies in Seattle has some digital stuff. Red Devil has a bunch of slots, but they're pretty hard core analog. There's a HobbyTown USA in Redmond town center. Don't know about Sammamish or Port Townsend. I know there's a small hobby shop in Port Angeles, but it's slot selection is pretty slim, and too far for Paul to make a trip for a non-existent market. ;-) More ideas on that front are also welcome. If we can catch local digital lovers where they buy their stuff, we might be able to increase our membership.

Any other ideas on getting the word out?

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Another reminder. This will be the season of parents buying sets as gifts, and then kids/dads buying more track and cars to expand in the new year. This is when we need to make sure all local hobby stores know about DRAWW and hopefully have a flyer up somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Success! I just had a long conversation with a guy who had seen the flyer at HobbyTown in Redmond. The HobbyTown salesman still has old info about SSD (powerbases dying, like the original 6 car base, etc), but he didn't convince the customer, fortunately.

Hopefully he'll introduce himself soon, if not here then on the Yahoo Group, and we'll see him at the next race.

So, a quick reminder to check for the presence of flyers at hobby stores you visit. Be sure to have one in your car so you can replace any missing ones or post one in a new location.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Got Fantasy World Hobbies store in Tacoma. Judy made a great point when she tried the barcode and saw the DRAWW page... there's no pictures! There's also no personalized feel. So, I'll be making some changes to that page such as adding photos of the tracks we have so far, maybe of the owners as well, and other stuff, to spice it up a bit, and make it a little more "small screen" friendly. Suggestions and photo contributions are welcome.

Leave a comment:

• MajorMagless
    replied
    I'll get Redmond HobbyTown

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Ok, it's canvassing time. Let's create a list of all the places in the area that we a) need to get to and place flyers at and 2) that we have done so. These should be any store that sells slot cars, especially those that sell digital... any brand, though especially SSD because that's what most of us are using so far. I'm pretty sure every Hobby Town USA carries Scalextric, even if only a little bit, so we need to hit all those, of course. There are also several local hobby stores that carry Scalextric, such as Eagle Hobbies in Seattle, Red Devil, and more. Please contribute a list of the stores you expect to be able to put a flyer in, and then update your post as you get flyers posted. I'll start.

1) Remote Control Hobbies in Covington. DONE!
    2) NW Nitro RC Hobbies in Puyallup
    3) Tacoma Trains and Hobbies
    4) Fantasy World Hobbies. DONE!
    5) Blitz Hobbies in Lacey

Rockinator, can you tackle the HobbyTown in Tukwila and anything else in the area? Earthbound, you're probably closest to Eagle Hobbies and Red Devil. Magless or Slapshot can do the HobbyTown in Redmond town center. There's also Galaxy Hobby up in Lynnwood, and probably some other Hobby Town USAs to look into. Anyone up north-north can look into Valley Slots in Monroe. I've never been there or called them, but the name sure does indicate something.

Please post your list of planned flyer drops.
    -Greg
    Last edited by MrFlippant; 03-13-2011, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Well, I won't be anyone's babysitter, but if an adult who wants to race brings a kid, that's fine.

I did get Adrian's final "go for it" about using the image. So, unless there are any last minute changes, this will be the final version and can be printed off and distributed. My initial thought was that everyone could keep a couple copies in their car, and when they're at a hobby store that sells Scalextric (especially digital) or other slot cars, ask them to stick one up near their slot products, or an appropriate place. It's not my intention to provide a stack of flyers for every store for people to take home as those usually end up in the trash. If people are actually interested, they'll email, call, or scan the barcode and check the web site, or even just remember that we exist and google us at some point. Have spares at all times, though, as when you return to a store that has put them up you might find it gone, either because someone took it or it was otherwise lost or taken down. You can then ask to put another one up without having to remember to bring a flyer next time.

Anyway, here you go:
    Last edited by MrFlippant; 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rixvette
    replied
    Two thumbs up, Flip. You might want to substitute 'challenging' or 'exciting' for the word 'fun'.

Leave a comment:

• bibbster
    replied
    While pit babes would be fun for us adults, remember that you may have some kids who are interested too. Don't wanna put a bad taste in their parents mouths with 'inappropriate' images. After all, they are the peanut butter that will hold this hobby together in the future. Gotta get 'em in there and racin' with the current generation of racers!

Leave a comment:

• Earthbound
    replied
    Needs more pit babes.

The rest of it looks great.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Thanks, guys. Still plenty of time for improving. Still waiting for the final OK from Adrian on using their image, though initial response was favorable. It's also possible he'll have something better or more suitable for our usage. In any case, don't go printing anything up just yet. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• MajorMagless
    replied
    Ditto!

Leave a comment:

• bibbster
    replied
    Much better, I like it!

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Ok, Here's my second try.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Great input, guys! I'll buzz Adrian, I'm sure it'll be ok for me to use that pic. I'll take another crack at it today/tonight, but keep posting ideas in the mean time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X