Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2015 race results and Hardbody track test results

Today we raced Hardbody cars:

1) Dave Crowl-............180 laps........7.519338.......yellow lane....
    2) Mike Haskins...........179 laps........7.629035.......yellow lane....
    3) Glenn Orban............177 laps........7.686728.......yellow lane....
    3) Timmy Mulholland....159 laps........8.028779.......blue lane

We also did a lot of track testing before racing, with very interesting results. Dave raced a late 60's Camaro with a 26 tooth crown gear with a JK Hawk 25k motor in an H&R chassis. In comparison I ran a Modern Nascar, 26k ProSlot motor in a Pro Track aluminum chassis with a 28 tooth crown gear.

We are welcoming back Dave Crowl to NJ Scale Racing. Dave raced with us approx. 1 year ago, and I have know him for several years from the C.A.R.S. Vintage slot car club, also based out of The Race Place. For next month Dave will bring along his buddy Oliver to race with us.

I set up 2 Hardbody cars with the JK Hawk motor. One was my late '60s Chevy Vintage Nascar (which still needs Nascar decals!). I track tested it with the narrow fronts in the rear and a 28 tooth crown gear- the car had a ton of power, not much traction, and was coming out of the slot more than before. So I talked with Mike Haskins and he gave me a few chassis tuning tips: I added lead weight strips to the rear of the chassis along side the motor and replaced the 28t crown gear with a 30 tooth and the car performed much better. Next I plan to go with the wider rears for better traction, in order to handle the torque of the Hawk motor. The other car is a Hardbody car I built approx. 10 years ago- a Tamiya Porsche 911 GT-1, Pro Track brass chassis, 28 tooth crown gear. I had track tested this car a bit and had times as low as 6.9 seconds, so it is possible to tune a Hardbody class car to compete with a Scaleauto car!

On this car I had soldered brass side pans as well as some brass soldered inside the chassis (vs lead weights). There has been some confusion as to this rule- I am allowing to solder brass pans directly to the bottom sides of the chassis vs creating floating pans and pin tube body mounting.

And a note about motor choices- all but 1 of Mike's cars is still using the H&R motors, so there is a option to continue to use the H&R motors if you like. Also Mike does not cut down his rear tires and he always does well in our races.

I talked with Jerry and he will be starting a Hardbody class at The Race Place, using our rules! He is hoping that some of his racers will join in with us, and that gives us an option for more racing during the month. I will keep everyone posted as Jerry progresses with getting this class started. Jerry will be ordering H&R chassis, JK Hawk motors, and H&R and ProTrack fronts and rear tires/wheels. All other parts to complete a chassis are already in his stock (braids, guide flag and nut, axles, lead wire, spacers, axles, crown and pinion gears.)
    Last edited by sportblazer350; 02-02-2015, 08:01 PM.
Working...
X