Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to 1/32 - which car?

Guys,

I'm looking for some input on a car to run at SlingShot Raceway. My understanding is they are running a Ninco class in preparation of the cup race in November. I'd like a solid car to learn the track. If I can still drive (it's been a while) I will probably race on Monday nights, and see how it goes. Is the Monday racing program open to visitors?

I've narrowed it down to an Acura LMP or Mosler MT900....I think. Are there others on the list of legal cars I should consider?

Thanks much for any advice.

Mike Asher

Mike, I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback soon.

Or maybe you should just bring one of each ...

Comment

Mikea,

Either car will run fine on Sling Shots no magnet track. The three cars that seem to be the hot set up are the two that you have and the new Ford GT.
      I won't be there Monday night, but introduce yourself to the guys. They're a good bunch willing to help a newbie.
      One tip I can give you is to make sure you have the smallest front wheels and tires as possible. Front tires running on NINCO track seems to upset the car.
      Don't get intimidated about how fast some of the racers are. Some of the best NINCO racers around race at Sling Shots.
      Hang in there and keep practicing.
      Practice @ 6:00, racing starts @ 7:00

George

Comment

And the fast guys are great to those of us that are less fortunate.

As far as cars go Slingshots had the KRM Britcar Mosler on the shelf when I was there 8 days ago. It is almost ready to go out of the box with the Prorace upgrades.

Racing is $10 from 6-9 on the back track.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

SouthernSlotter,
          The three cars that seem to be the hot set up are the two that you have and the new Ford GT.
          Is there one of the three that is most favored? Can you recommend a particular wheel/tire combination?

Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikea View Post
            Thanks for the advice.

SouthernSlotter,
            Is there one of the three that is most favored? Can you recommend a particular wheel/tire combination?

Thanks,
            Mike
            The Mosler is the most forgiving.
            I think the World Cup rules require you using the Pro Race Evo 17mm in the back and 15mm in the front with the stock tires. Use the laprene tires on the rear and true the front tires as small as possible. Use a pro race guide and tape your motor in. Oh, and the lexan chassis with ball bearing bushings is the set up of choice.

SS

Comment

Hi Mike,

I would recommend either a Mosler or the Ford GT.

With either car, I'd recommend the following parts:

- 15" front hubs
              - 18x10 front tires sanded (Duane at Slingshot has a Hudy Tire Truer that is set up to sand the tires down to the smallest diameter possible you can run on a NINCO 15" hub before the ribs are showing. It will cost $1.00 per tire to true turn them down)
              - 17" wide rear hubs
              - titanium 2.48mm (standard size) axles front and rear
              - ball bearings in the rear
              - Red EVO Gear set (13t pinion / 31t gear)
              - Pro race guide with spring for the Ford, without spring for the Mosler
              - NC6 green motor
              - Lexan chassis if you're using the Mosler

You'll notice quickly that most of these parts come stock with the KLM Mosler and XM Acura (lightning model cars). The only thing you have to do to a Lightning model car is replace the rear hubs with 17mm wide wheels, turn the front tires down, pro-race guide, and laprene rear tires.

Come by on Monday and plenty will be willing to help you put it together.

Comment

Hi

I prefer to scratchbuild. That said, I have a lot of the Ninco Moslers. Out of the box, they are the least likely to have quality problems. And I have gotten them to run good womp and scratchbuilt times.

Fate

Comment

Mike,

Trust me, after you see Mark drive a slot car, you'll take his advice.
                  He's a pretty nice guy to boot!
                  We race with some good guys who are always willing to help.

George

Comment

Ok, the Mosler it is. Thanks much for all the help.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Hi Mike,

I would recommend either a Mosler or the Ford GT.

With either car, I'd recommend the following parts:

- 15" front hubs
                      - 18x10 front tires sanded (Duane at Slingshot has a Hudy Tire Truer that is set up to sand the tires down to the smallest diameter possible you can run on a NINCO 15" hub before the ribs are showing. It will cost $1.00 per tire to true turn them down)
                      - 17" wide rear hubs
                      - titanium 2.48mm (standard size) axles front and rear
                      - ball bearings in the rear
                      - Red EVO Gear set (13t pinion / 31t gear)
                      - Pro race guide with spring for the Ford, without spring for the Mosler
                      - NC6 green motor
                      - Lexan chassis if you're using the Mosler

You'll notice quickly that most of these parts come stock with the KLM Mosler and XM Acura (lightning model cars). The only thing you have to do to a Lightning model car is replace the rear hubs with 17mm wide wheels, turn the front tires down, pro-race guide, and laprene rear tires.

Come by on Monday and plenty will be willing to help you put it together.
                      Mark,

Does the chassis ever scrape the track when using the small wheel/tire combination on the front?

Best regards,
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X