Scrutineering at East New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrutineering at East New York

The first two cars have arrived, from Phil Kalbfell: a BMW M1, with Slot.It 23k motor, in modified sidewinder Fly chassis, no pod; and a Ferrari 612 Can Am car, with a substantial brass plate chassis, with a pivotting motor pod, sprung on two steel wires. Fox motor, anglewinder drive.

Both cars have very hard front tires which are very loud. The rolling sounds like bowling balls on my wood track!

silence

The hard ( noisy) front wheels are to ensure that the drivers and marshalls are awake. The noise does keep the drivers aware of the car and as soon as the noise stops the marshalls know that the car is off the track.

Phil

Comment

Phil's cars are cookin': 5.270 best lap time of 64 laps for the BMW M1, and slightly slower for the Ferrari 612 Can Am (only 24 laps run). The 612 may go faster as it warms up. Both cars have soft NSR rubber, which seems to like my track, and which lays down an Ortmann-friendly groove. I ran my Ortmann tire Ferrari 512S right after Phil's cars, and reeled off several 5.1xx laps, and a 5.065.

Phil's cars are heavy: BMW is 124 grams, Ferrari is 164 grams. My Ferrari is around 86 grams!

Comment

Heavyweights, as in Tasmanian Devils!

Comment

Defying logic ...

... but what do you know?

First cars to arrive are from the other end of the universe, way too heavy, yet awful quick by the sound of it.

We can only hope that the other Auslot fellas are just gonna go surfing this winter or there could be real trouble ...

Comment

Down under

I don't know of any other cars from down here that are going to be entered! Very poor after the way you guys supported the Auslot race.
            For me this is a totally new challenge, the Auslot race was my first effort on plastic track.

Phil

Comment

Phil

Found the same thing in South Africa - while there are other South Africans entering (Gascarnut) I could not entice anyone locally to build a car. Having said that there is considerable interest for when the race gets here, and I am hoping that this will generate future entrants.......

Comment

First cars to arrive are from the other end of the universe, way too heavy, yet awful quick by the sound of it.
                Wet, don't forget how soundly Phil womped the entire Auslot proxy field at his home tracks!

Comment

Chris Amon of New Zealand drove the #16 Ferrari 612P in the Can Am at Watkins Glen, 1969:

Now he is at East New York, with a jet engine howl from those hard front tires. Phil's rendition of #16 is now developing some serious speed, and is very stable on account of its great weight. The Fox II motor has power to spare, and the NSR rubber hooks up well. This car is a serious contender.
                  Last edited by Robert Livingston; 11-15-2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Ironic, isn't it?

Comment

surprise

I am surprised about the 612 I was very dissapointed with the car it was slower than my GT car here,with those rubber tyres! But then I looked at those very long straights and thought it may be O/K on those tracks.
                      Time will tell.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Kalbfell View Post
                        I don't know of any other cars from down here that are going to be entered! Very poor after the way you guys supported the Auslot race.
                        For me this is a totally new challenge, the Auslot race was my first effort on plastic track.

Phil
                        Hi Guys
                        I made a late decision to enter, a car an OCAR Ferrari 250 LM with a Slotek chassis under it. however I have run out of time.
                        At the moment it is a pile of bits and a raw resin body shell. so with a bit over a week to go to prep and send the thing halfway round the world I think I may be pushing it a bit. I'm pressing on with the build anyway
                        Oh well

However I'm considering a rebuild on My auslot proxy F40 and sending it off to the RAA

LB
                        Last edited by lenny broke; 11-15-2006, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Best of luck, Lenny! Hopefully you can make it to both.

Comment

Lenny, sounds like a good idea. I'd love to see the F40 be entered.

Comment

Phil - That Fox II can definitely take weight in stride...I have "drag raced" them in an HRS and the much heavier Plafit chassis and at the end of a 25' straight they were pretty much even up. Wish I could've afforded a second Plafit to enter in the P class as I'd like to have seen how it performs on all the varied tracks...maybe next year.

Having Fun - Da Vols

Comment

Working...
                              X