GT Race at East New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Race at East New York

First GT Race Heat, 10 minute heat race time per car. I am the driver for this heat. Center lane (61), 13.6 volts, PM 2050 controller. This is a solo heat, driver marshalled, while the timer runs. Highest lap total determines place; tie breaker is Best Lap time.

All GT cars present at ENY have now been run for their first 10 minute heat. (updated Saturday nite, Dec. 9th):

First place, so far:
    #26 Lancia Beta Monte Carlo, Wayne, 118 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 4.862 sec., GPR Race Record
    Offs: 0. Flawless run. Slot.It 23k in HRS sidewinder, Ortmann tires, at its best. Many, many laps under 5.000, no mean feat on East New York. GPR race record of 4.862 is 12.55 feet per second.

#57 Corvette, JT Previa, 116 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.012 sec.
    Offs: 0. Car is eerily quiet, predictable, invariable, inexorable. Rolls along, unperturbed, occasionally skids a little. Found myself dozing off.

#1 Toyota LB Turbo, R. Livingston, 116 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.035 sec.
    Offs: 0. Unlike the Vette I could not pass, my Toyota raises the sweat and tries the soul. This car is difficult to drive this fast, because it likes to lose traction in the turns. But it rarely spins out completely, as it self recovers. It just loses time. No deslots.

#48 Capri, Recklessracer, 115 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 4.996 sec.
    Offs: 0. Noisy car with realistic bla-a-a-t under engine braking. Car needs to be pushed, and hard. A brawny he-man car. Orange painted door with blue fenders reminds me of a taxi.

#34 Ferrari 365 GTB, Spirit Racer Club, 114 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.030 sec., 109th lap
    Offs: 1. PPR Supertires hooked up, after a few "cleanup" laps and trips over the Mongo pad. Wide car is easy to drive, a little tail happy, but delivers the goods on time.

#59 Porsche 911, Dave Kennedy, 112 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.112 sec.
    Offs: 2. Concentration needed to wring the best out. Fastest of the 911's so far, by a hair. Beats Vanski's car in the corners, not on the straights.

#1 Porsche 911, Dr Vanski, 112 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.133 sec., 66th lap
    Offs: 1. White car with white wheels is easy to see and drive. Deslot on lap after fastest lap, I guess I went to 11/10ths.

#24 Cobra Roadster, Gascarnut, 111 laps
    Best Lap Time: 4.999 sec.
    Offs: 4. What a fast Cobra, a beautifully handling car which is sometimes faster than the three cars ahead of it. Unfortunately it has a front end hop at the ragged edge, which is not entirely predictable, and led to four offs. If I had driven with a little more restraint I could have gotten maybe two or three more laps. Orange Endbell 21.5k V12/3 really gets this bad boy moving, in a sidewinder HRS shoehorned under the tail. Ortmanns keep it stuck to the ground, usually.

#83 BMW M1, Phil Kalbfell, 110 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.295 sec., 98th lap
    Offs: 1. Very steady, weighty car, easy to push, loud as heck, could not hear race-control signals. I kept on going after the race was over, alone in a world of noise.

#7A Capri, Tony Kuljis, 107 laps.
    Average Speed: 106.55 MPH
    Best Lap Time: 5.058 sec.
    Offs: 4. Oil-treated NSR tires may be drying out. Car does not have the grip it needs, leading to many slides, and four spinouts.

#64 Ferrari 512BB, Beejay, 105 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.340sec., 86th lap
    Offs: 2. A steady car, surprised me with two offs as I pushed too hard.

#95 Capri, Pete N95, 105 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.406 sec., 87th lap
    Offs: 1. Seems a little loose and slidey.

#'76 Greenwood Corvette, Terry Noe, 105 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.468 sec., 87th lap
    Offs: 1. Rides like it has hooves, not tires. Bumpy. Imagine how fast it would go with true tires.

#16 Capri, Smokeio, 104 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 4.954 sec.
    Offs: 1. In spite of an off, Smokeio was about to take the race. On lap 102, with 72 seconds remaining, his car spun its spur gear, and coasted to a stop, motor racing. I ran over and retrieved the car, pulled off the body, and with my handy Slot.It torque wrench, tightened up the gear. Back in action! Total time lost in repair under green flag: 61 seconds. I then reeled off two more laps. Race over. Had the gear stayed tight, car would have completed ~14 more laps, for a total of 118 laps. Sorry!

#49 Cobra 427 Roadster, Austin, 104 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.554 sec., 96th lap
    Offs: 1. Steady driving car, smooth, predictable. Low-geared Fly Truck motor seems appropriate. Great car.

#59 Porsche 911, Attic Racer, 102 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.583 sec., 98th lap
    Offs: 1. Good speed from the Boxer 24, but lacks sidebite in the turns, on account of Slot.It-marked tires (actually are basement racer cast sillies).

#68 Porsche 911, Kazooracer, 97 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.541 sec., 24th lap
    Offs: 5. Must drive beneath the hopping speed, but constantly tempting to exceed, with resulting offs.

#11 Greenwood Corvette, Spirit Racer, 95 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.256 sec., 89th lap
    Offs: 8. Erratic performer, tips out on right hand curves, lots of straightaway speed. Does not give any visual warning of impending offs.

#53 Lancia Beta Monte Carlo, TR3, 94 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 5.676 sec.
    Offs: 5. Geared-down V12/3 lifts the guide right outa the slot if you hit the loud pedal too hard. Tricky, erratic, tightly screwed together, could use the screws loosened.

#7 Capri, Da Vols, 85 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 6.794 sec., 21st lap
    Offs: 0. Tires not right for this track, got worse as run went on. Even so, car remained stable, no deslots.

#423 Jaguar XK-E, abie321, 75 laps.
    Best Lap Time: 6.520 sec
    Offs: 7. Wheel flew off in the left hand sweeper under the bridge. Wheel hastily re-attached under the green. Car deslots, under full throttle, so I gave it less. Re-slotted itself once. A hair raising ride.
    Last edited by Robert Livingston; 12-23-2006, 08:44 AM. Reason: The Gascarnut Cobra runs with the fast ones

Originally posted by Robert Livingston View Post
    #59 Porsche 911, Attic Racer, 102 laps.
    Average Speed: 95.11 MPH
    Best Lap Time: 5.583 sec., 98th lap
    Offs: 1 Good speed from the Boxer 24, but lacks sidebite in the turns, on account of Slot.It rubber tires.
    It arrived in time for the first heat!

When you get a chance Robert I would be very interested hear any other thoughts you may have on my car. This is my first real attempt at tuning besides swapping and trueing tires.

Comment

Attic Racer, your car, and all the other cars, are described in post #143 of the "Scrutineering" thread:
      http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...t=10369&page=8

I have edited in three more cars to the GT race results, posted previously this evening.
      Last edited by Robert Livingston; 11-27-2006, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Oh No, not another "live-post-as-the-results-come-in" thread!

the suspense is killing me RL! Actually, it's pretty great ...... keep up the fantastic report The race is ON!

Comment

Just wait till he gets the webcam link going....

Comment

Holy crap that's great Van!

Comment

No vermouth.

#59 Porsche 911, Dr Vanski, 112 laps.
              Average Speed: 103.38 MPH
              Best Lap Time: 5.133 sec., 66th lap
              Offs: 1. White car with white wheels is easy to see and drive. Deslot on lap after fastest lap, I guess I went to 11/10ths.
              Fantastic. Good on ya.

Comment

Correction: Van's Porsche is numbered "1", is white with blue and red stripes along the beltline. Attic Racer's car is the same color scheme, is numbered "59". Yes, I drove the right cars!
                Last edited by Robert Livingston; 11-28-2006, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RECKLESSRACER View Post
                  Oh No, not another "live-post-as-the-results-come-in" thread!

the suspense is killing me RL! Actually, it's pretty great ...... keep up the fantastic report The race is ON!
                  Eric, your car is next to be run. But first, I have to run outside and tell those Porsche guys to stop parking on the lawn. I think one of the transporters backed into a porta-potty.

Comment

Robert - Are you experiencing one of those "climatic changes" at your track???

Went from an initial testing of 5.689 to a "best" of 6.794 (even at 5.6 I'd still be the slowest, but at least I'd have a seat in the ballpark rather than be in the parking lot... ) - oh well...at least it's still easy to drive.

Also, is my average mph a typo...just wondering how I can be roughly 15 mph faster yet complete 10 less laps than the car ahead of me

Funny thing, I found the opposite effect with those tires on my Artin as the more they ran the better they got (and they were good from the first lap) and were better than the O's overall which is why I stayed with them.

Still Having Fun - Da Vols
                    Last edited by Da Vols; 11-28-2006, 01:33 PM.

Comment

By my count there are 11 more GT cars to be run (including the four fastest qualifiers). Apparently my plunge down the leader board has only just begun.

The tires aren't actually Slot.its - they are made by a local racer and are the tires of choice on Winnipeg's basement wood tracks. Here's hoping they hook up on other tracks

Maybe the Boxer24 will pull me out of the fire when the 10v heats start in East New York. Either that or I lose the co-driver...

Comment

Interesting questions from Da Vols, below.
                        Humidity has settled down, at 38%, on the gauge. In summer, the non-silicone tires grip better at 50-55%. I think the track paint absorbs the moisture.

The average is drawn down by the number of "offs". A typical off takes about 6 sec to put back on, so you lose a lap. However, the 6 sec you spend at zero MPH pulls the average way down, over the 10 minute run. 8 offs, as in Spirit Racer's case, completely destroyed his average speed. Some took longer than 6 sec to replace, as they were on the other side of the track.

Next track is Terry Noe's Targa wood track; maybe the tires will act differently there. Ortmanns do worse than PPR's there, we found during the Slot.It Shoot Out.

Originally posted by Da Vols View Post
                        Robert - Are you experiencing one of those "climatic changes" at your track???

Went from an initial testing of 5.689 to a "best" of 6.794 (even at 5.6 I'd still be the slowest, but at least I'd have a seat in the ballpark rather than be in the parking lot... ) - oh well...at least it's still easy to drive.

Also, is my average mph a typo...just wondering how I can be roughly 15 mph faster yet complete 10 less laps than the car ahead of me

Funny thing, I found the opposite effect with those tires on my Artin as the more they ran the better they got (and they were good from the first lap) and were better than the O's overall which is why I stayed with them.

Still Having Fun - Da Vols

Comment

Any chance you could cook some soup or something down in the cellar, Robert?

Comment

Soup's on. Five more GT cars added tonight, see post #1. Come and get it.

Comment

1. Not sure how long this will last so...

Thanks Robert, hope the ride wasn't too boring!

JT

Comment

Working...
                              X