Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inaugural Tourist Trophy - Western Canadian Enduro presented by SCC Canada

Hello everyone,

We’re happy to officially introduce and announce what we all hope will become an annual western Canadian slot racing event….the Tourist Trophy.

This event has been in the works for a few years … but now it’s going to be a reality after months of behind the scenes work.

The genesis of what is being revealing today started with many of us travelling and visiting each other in Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton and Calgary.

Purpose: The intent is to bring some of the major BC and Albertan clubs together to strengthen the slot community, build relationships, and raise some overall hobby awareness. Intended to be an annual event, hosting will rotate every year to remove any financial or logistical barriers to travelling … and to keep the event fresh. The aim here is to bring people together in a fun environment versus a win-at-all-costs attitude.

Who: is invited? Kelowna Slot Car Club (KSCC), Greater Vancouver Slot Car Club (GVSCC), The Greater Edmonton Toy Car and Racing Society (GETCARS) and Calgary's Rocky Mountain Racers (RMR). As the event grows, we can certainly look at expanding it.

When: August 2018: 24th for practice / pre-technical inspection and the 25th for final technical inspection and race. Late summer has been chosen because it is easiest and most conducive for visiting clubs to travel.

Where: Kelowna for year 1. Being the most geographically central between Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary, KSCC will host this year to create some momentum and interest for a 2019 event.

Track: KSCC’s very own DCMR 110' 3 lane routed track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzFR-BZuuCA

Event Duration: DCMR is a 3 lane track, so team's will be rotating through lanes. Each team will drive 3 hrs each; if the event takes off we can talk about extending the duration in year 2….who knows maybe even a 24 hr event?!

Team Composition: Min. of 3, max. of 4 drivers per team; space will be limited as we're racing in a private residence versus a commercial facility. Space is limiting factor behind 1 entry per club (host club gets 2 entries).

Number of Teams:There will be a maximum of 5 teams, with the host club’s having an extra team to allow its members an opportunity to meet other club members and address issues like racers who may be able and/or afford to travel.

Team Entry Fee: $100/team to cover cost of lunch, snacks and beverages during the race, handout motors, prizes etc.

Race Class: Slot.it Group C. This was an easy choice. Group C is commonly raced, readily available, a quality product, and a class with plenty of cars & liveries to choose from!

Event Rules: have been finalized and emailed to each club president/organizer (and attached here as well). Since the vast majority will be shelling out $ and time to travel , the rules were created in such w ay that no one after going to the expense to travel should be blown out. So, the rules align to the purpose of this event – to encourage close (and enjoyable) racing while bringing the club’s together in a fun but competitive atmosphere.

At a high-level, the rules enforce basic tuning with free choice urethanes and a handout Piranha replacement motor. The Piranha motor has been chosen to standardize between older issue white bells and newer various shades of orange bell motors.

Event Schedule: the night before the eventwill be set aside for final tuning, practice and pre-clearance technical inspection so that no one is scrambling the morning of for any noted issues. The race will commence the morning of Saturday August 26, 2018 immediately after final technical inspection and the drivers meeting. The race is scheduled to complete around dinnertime.

We are scheduling a post-race dinner offsite to wrap it all up with awards, results, prizes etc. Location TBD.

Event Accommodations: TBD – The local club is investigating and researching options for the travelling clubs.

Event Media: will be streamed live via Facebook Live

Sponsors/prizes: Slotcar Corner Canada is our presenting sponsor. We welcome of course any other sponsors. If interested, sponsors may contact me via PM. A big thank you to Christian at SCC Canada for his support!

Event Poster: I am in the midst of pulling together event artwork and will be mocking up some posters for purchase, with the profits going towards event prizes. But here’s one sneak peek ;O)

Rocky Mountain Racers is reserving the #45 white, blue and red STP-liveried Toyota 88C to race, let’s hope she doesn’t spring a leak…or at least too many!

As mentioned, the rules are attached. One clarification on page 18, under section 6 tires - (d) relates to the “front tires”, and includes any of the existing stock tires to be used for the fronts (including original rears).

Well, that's it for now...
    Last edited by Giddyup; 06-10-2018, 09:40 PM.

Summary & Ruleset

Here they are attached...

Comment

Thanks Tom.....you have all the details planned very well for the Tourist Cup. Now it's up to us in Kelowna to be great hosts and provide a great event. Many thanks to Slot Car Corner Canada, it's great having a major sponsor....very nice to see your logo there.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by cgyracer View Post
        Thanks Tom.....you have all the details planned very well for the Tourist Cup. Now it's up to us in Kelowna to be great hosts and provide a great event. Many thanks to Slot Car Corner Canada, it's great having a major sponsor....very nice to see your logo there.

Rob
        You know Rob, the first rule of fight cl...’er...being a good host, is to let the visitors feel like we have a chance before you commence “lapping mode”

Thanks to Christian at SCC for his support...we received our competition car in the mail today. Now we’ve only got about 4-5 months to procrastinate

Looking forward summer time fun!

Comment

Very, very well done Tom: very comprehensive plan and rules. A big thank you for the hard work that has gone into this: clearly many hours of planning.

Now the planning on our end starts! Our group will have to assemble a team, we will have to decide on a suitable car and then do all the preparation and testing.

BIG thank you to Christian for his tremendous support of the hobby out here clear on the other side of the continent. You are a star!

Exciting!

Alwyn

Comment

Edmonton is looking forward to it. Will be a great fun and knowing Tom and Rob highest standard will be set up straight on first event.

Glad to be part of this community.

Regards
            Radarek

Comment

Tourist cup

Wow Tom..what a great job on all the documention of the up coming Tourist Trophy. Not that I'm at all surprised by the professional way you put it all together. Having raced with you for several years we got to see it all the time. Sure hope I make the roster of drivers for the kelowna teams as we have a lot of very good racers. No matter what my capacity is I will be Involved as it will be a honor to meet fellow slot car racers from Western Canada. Thanks to Slot car corner Canada for sponsering the event.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see which "weapon" people choose...as I know everyone seems to have a different on which Group C cars they prefer to race.

Comment

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
                  It'll be interesting to see which "weapon" people choose...as I know everyone seems to have a different on which Group C cars they prefer to race.
                  I was hoping you would tell me!

I have only built sidewinder Group C cars the past several years for myself and others so it's going to be like starting from scratch!

I do like the Lancia's I must admit.

Rob

Comment

Rob..I know I'm in Mexico..but take a clue from Tom choice of a Nissan.

Comment

Originally posted by ken weir View Post
                      Rob..I know I'm in Mexico..but take a clue from Tom choice of a Nissan.
                      Have another Tequila.... Mr. Butcher! We’re trying a Toyota, not a Nissan...but maybe we should?

Personally, i like the Lancia (the 84 version) the best. I have had the best results with that one. They are a bit heavier but the weight distribution seems just right. No Hands in our group has the original Malardeau (yellow livery).... I love that car...and it’s quick. Pauly Walnuts drives the hightail Porsche to some acclaim as well.

I’ll start in on our Toyota in a few weeks and see how it goes. I figured just pickone and start, as there’s just too many choices!

Comment

Lez runs a Toyota and it is lights out quick. Even with the back spoiled glued sort of inverted.

Comment

Hey Butcher....I'll be "inverted" too, just like Maverick ;O)

I've been meaning to start in on our car...but I think the hardest bit is behind me...opening up the box

At least we still have another 4 months to procrastinate

Comment

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post

I've been meaning to start in on our car...but I think the hardest bit is behind me...opening up the box

At least we still have another 4 months to procrastinate
                            So very true!!! I'm still running my #17 Shell Porsche 962 after I opened it up in 2006! So hard to open any boxes!

Rob

Comment

I know- the first cut is the deepest! Cue the music...

By the way, that Shell livery is one of my favorites- very distinctive and easy to spot on track!

Ive always been partial to the lesser known STP Toyota livery - so I figured I’d give it a try to tune a Toyota. Fingers crossed I can figure out a set up that will work!

Comment

Working...
                              X