No announcement yet.

Inaugural Tourist Trophy - Western Canadian Enduro presented by SCC Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are Rafael's pictures he took of the Tourist Trophy event. I'll have to find a permanent site to hold these pictures for the Tourist Trophy event and future events.

Take a peek at the new video he created as well.

Here's a taste of the pictures he took.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b31ji8u94...1J7Kvq93a?dl=0

Team Edmonton

Team Vancouver

Team Calgary

Team Kelowna1

Team Kelowna2

Immediately after the winning run! Congrats to Vancouver!

Podium

Last edited by cgyracer; 08-28-2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Post Race Dinner

Richard our gracious & wonderful host with a signed framed Tourist Trophy portrait

SuperSlab Alwyn with the Fastest Lap Award

Cgyracer Rob Sportsmanlike and Driving.

Perry Tourist Trophy Champion!

SuperSlab Alwyn Tourist Trophy Champion!

F1Fan Chris Tourist Trophy Champion!
      Last edited by cgyracer; 08-28-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

wow what an awesome weekend of slot car racing, it was an honour to be apart of such a well organized and fantastic event.
        I would like to thank Rob and Tom for all the hard work they put in.To Richard the same big thanks and an extra thanks for opening up your home and track to us all
        I would like to give a big shout out to the sponsors that sponsored the event and the great prizers.
        What a pleasure to meet all these great slot car builders and drivers.
        Congratulations to Chris,Perry and Alwyn for the win
        Rafael once again you have done amazing things with that camera of yours, awesome stuff,if only I could drive a slot car as well as you work your camera I would have taken a trophy home.
        Thanks to all
        Lez

Comment

Originally posted by Lez View Post
          wow what an awesome weekend of slot car racing, it was an honour to be apart of such a well organized and fantastic event.
          I would like to thank Rob and Tom for all the hard work they put in.To Richard the same big thanks and an extra thanks for opening up your home and track to us all
          I would like to give a big shout out to the sponsors that sponsored the event and the great prizers.
          What a pleasure to meet all these great slot car builders and drivers.
          Congratulations to Chris,Perry and Alwyn for the win
          Rafael once again you have done amazing things with that camera of yours, awesome stuff,if only I could drive a slot car as well as you work your camera I would have taken a trophy home.
          Thanks to all
          Lez
          I could not have said it any better myself, a fantastic event and it was great to "hang" with the likes of Lez and the guys.

Chris

Here is a great example of Dr. Rafael's work. More can be seen at www.mydarkroom.ca

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j96xsITDEf8&t=6s"]Tourist Trophy 2018 - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by F1Fan; 08-28-2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Richard has sent more detailed results.

Overall

Overall Detailed

Individual

Comment

Some analysis and comments

Firstly: AGAIN another huge thank you for Richard and Rob for this excellent data. For a nerd like me this is just great!

Over the years I have developed a set of indices to see how well we are doing when we run proxy races locally. I thought these could be of some interest to those similarly data/statistically inclined as I am. And please note that, while I am a nerd, I am also not a masochistic nerd: I was prepared to do all the calcs for the top 3 drivers (Rob, Perry and me) but even I drew the line at doing it for ALL the racers! Maybe in a few days time, but not right now...

And for those interested: these indices are:

Speed Index: For this index in proxy racing, I typically calculate an index per car per lane (driver) where I compare the best lap time to the Qualifying time. This to me is an index of how well we were able to extract the most speed out of a car in each lane. Unfortunately we do not have a similar Q number available for the cars, so I thought of using TWO options:

* Compare to the fastest lap time in each lane
              * In thinking about this I thought this is likely unfair as I sincerely believe we (GVSCC) had the best car. So in using the overall fastest lap time, I was discriminating against Rob, who I really believe had a slower car. So the second option was to use the best lap time for the car being used. Ergo: Rob's "Speed indices" automatically became 100% because he had the fastest lap time with the KSCC1 car in all lanes.

This second option might be a bit too generous to my good friend Rob: maybe the "best" answer is somewhere between the two?

The second index is:

Consistency Index:
              This index, again expressed as a percentage, is the number of laps completed in a heat divided by the number of laps a person would have completed had he run each lap in the 15 minute heat at the best lap time that he achieved in that lane. This to me is a major indicator as it shows you how well the driver extracted his best out of the car.

So, without further ado: the indices:

FIRST ONE: Based against the overall best lap per lane:

A number of things stand out here:

* In terms of speed: we had the fastest car so (no surprise!) the fastest lap times, and therefore the speed index "winners", were shared between Perry and myself.
              * In terms of consistency, Rob is a clear winner. I am not sure people realise just how very, very good this achievement of his is. Running at an AVERAGE of >97% of his best lap over 45 minutes of racing is exceptional: take a bow Rob!
              * Mainly because of us having the fastest car, I was able to pip the others in terms of the overall index.

SECOND ONE: Based on the best lap per lane for the car used:

This variation shows Rob as the clear winner in all respects: well done Rob!

Some more thoughts:

Pertaining to these results:

* As team we were very worried about track familiarity before the race. Seeing as we actually won the race, it is obviously difficult to say that in practice this really was a factor. My personal belief is that, while I really do believe it influenced the results somewhat, it was not a significant and obviously not a decisive factor. The impact of lack of familiarity was also mitigated/limited by the generous allowance of track time for us out-of-towners. This was particularly noticeable (and GREATLY appreciated) in the fact that the local guys clearly went out of their way to give the visitors priority: THANKS GUYS!!!!

* More of a concern to me was the use of track controllers. I fully understand the desire of the track owner to eliminate potential controller issues and also the competition objective of eliminating possible advantages of "fancy" controllers. However, in the end I believe this quite significantly affected some people. I must say that I struggled with the PM controllers. Not because they are bad controllers, but only because they are so very different to the Slot.it controller I have been using ever since I got back into the hobby 10 years ago. I think controller "feel" is a very personal preference: I am used to the handle shape and (what other people consider to be the too soft and almost "dead") feel of the Slot.it. The handle and trigger shape and particularly the MUCH stronger spring on the PM controller was really not to my taste. Pure and simple: I never got completely comfortable with the controllers and I will be discussing with the organisers to allow people to use their own controllers in future events.

* I was MIGHTILY impressed with the quality of driving of my own team and people like Rob. I thought our team did quite well with 8 deslots over 3 hours of racing (one every 22.5 minutes or 131 laps) but here Rob again led the way: NOT ONE DESLOT IN THE WHOLE OF THE RACE!!!!! That is a fantastic achievement Rob: well done!

* Personally I must admit to being somewhat disappointed in my own performance. I feel I generally was too conservative and could have gone quicker. I will forgive myself for running slower in the white lane as the race at that point was pretty much won: I just wanted to make VERY sure I did not crash or possibly damage the car. To have broken the car at that point with the race all but won would have been mortifying!

Overall: what a wonderful, wonderful event! I loved all of it. Organisers such as Tom and Rob plus the host Richard deserve huge credit: you guys did a great thing here.

Alwyn

Comment

Sounds like you would of beaten us by more than 16 laps if you all would of drove minimum 97% or more.

Thank goodness that did not happen!!

Haha actually all kidding aside very interesting stats and thank you for the compliments, I felt I was on the limit the entire time and was exhausted by the end of the night! I'm usually the one to joke , talk and laugh while I'm driving....so this is very unlike me! Congratulations again to your team's driving and car preparation. Great Champions!

Send us pictures of the travels the Tourist Trophy makes in Vancouver from pub to pub!

Rob

Comment

Track and Controller

I too would like to chime in on a couple of steep learning curves that Alwyn commented on:

1) I need a lot of time to practice to learn a track to feel confident in attacking the track. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do other than showing up early to run as many laps as possible.

2) I also need a lot of time to practice in order to learn a new controller. This is an area that could be relaxed so as to eliminate the other steep learning curve. (I have a very light and free trigger on my controller)

Leon

Comment

Working...
                  X