No Magnet Racing at Ace Hobby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for Fly cars in the Can Am class were edited

Previous post # 123 (from 2/22/11), regarding rules for Fly cars in the Can Am class, was edited
    for clarification. Changes / additions are in italic type font. Check back to page 9, post # 123.

Please note that other slot car manufacturer's cars (example: Slot-It) in the Can Am class
    may have different rules.

Tom
    Last edited by T man; 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Race results for 2/28/11

9 drivers were present, and with Billy's help on the button (thanks Billy!), we were able
      to have fully marshalled races.

People came from Ontario (Thomas) to the south towns (Russ & Steve). Will (a regular Sat.
      magnet racer) joined us to give no magnet racing a try - welcome Will!

DP

Yellow Dog and Al put up their always quick Sun Trust Dahlara's, while Team Big Tree
      Speedway (Russ & Steve) fielded their red Riley's. Ron has been getting improved performance out of his tried & true DP, (but would he "kick some a--")?
      The top 3 finishers were within 1.3 laps of one another. Congratulations Yellow Dog.

1.Yellow Dog, 59.60 laps
      2.Al, 58.80
      3.Ron (aka "Graham", don't ask), 58.30
      4.Tom, 57.45
      5.Russ, 56.40
      6.Steve, 56.10
      7.Thomas, 55.55
      8.Will, 51.10
      9.Josh, 49.85

fast laps:
      yellow, 11.801 seconds All by Yellow Dog!
      black, 11.615
      white, 11.745
      red, 11.828

Can Am

Russ left his very fast Chaparral in his box, and drove his almost as fast Fly Porsche 917.
      Ron also entered his Fly Porsche 917. The balance of the field were Slot-Its (1 Alfa, 3
      Ferrari 312's, and 3 Chaparral's). The race was very close, with the top 4 finishers within
      .85 lap of one another, and the next two, only 1 lap down. The Chaparral's of Al & Tom
      pushed hard, but not enough to beat the Fly Porsche 917 of Russ. Congratulations Russ.

1.Russ, 59.10 laps
      2.Al, 58.60
      3.Tom, 58.25
      4.Yellow Dog, 58.20
      5.Steve, 57.55
      6.Ron, 57.10
      7.Thomas, 54.70
      8.Josh, 51.50
      9.Will, 51.25

fast laps:
      yellow, Russ 11.671 seconds
      black, Russ 11.638
      white, Russ 11.699
      red, Al 12.061

GT

4 McClarens, 3 Ferrari F40's, and 2 Nissans took the starting flag. Russ chose not to run
      his blue flash F40 (thanks Russ!), and in fact lent it to Josh. The GT class is always good
      for a fast, close race, and tonight was no exception. The top 5 finishers were within 2.05
      laps of one another. In the end, no one could catch Yellow Dog's orange McClaren.
      Congratulations Yellow Dog.

1.Yellow Dog, 60.60 laps
      2.Russ, 59.85
      3.Ron, 59.30
      4.Al, 59.05
      5.Tom, 58.55
      6.Thomas, 55.65
      7.Steve, 55.55
      8.Will, 53.50
      9.Josh, 53.05

fast laps:
      yellow, Yellow Dog 11.448 seconds
      black, Yellow Dog 11.459
      white, Yellow Dog 11.360 (whew!!!)
      red, Russ 11.655

Thanks to the drivers who came, and to Ron for the track time.

Thanks to Dan and Russ for lending cars to Will & Josh.

Josh has bee hanging in there, week after week, and making steady improvements in both
      his cars and his driving. Will had an excellent night for his first no magnet outing!
      A little more no magnet practice, and these two will be moving up the "finish ladder"!

Ron should be smiling all week, as he has his shoe print on well over half of our butts!

Next week is an odd numbered day of the month (3/7), so the third race will be C2's.

Tom

Comment

• Can Am car development

We will try something new. As verbally announced last night...

Beginning immediately, anyone may build & develop a Can Am car for possible inclusion in the class, using slot car manufacturer's bodies / chassis / components not currently approved
        for racing in the Can Am class.

For example, a Monogram / NSR / Scalextric / etc. body may be used, with its own chassis / motor / rear end, and so on. OR In combination with other manufacturer's components
        (like Slot-It).
        Current tire rules will continue: any silicon tire sold by Ace Hobby [S2's, S1's, or Classic
        Super Tires], no Formula one tires allowed.
        Keep a list of the components & parts that you use, as this will be made available to all drivers.

Once built, the car will be evaluated / tested at Ace Hobby, by the builder, Dan, Tom, & any other interested drivers. Further changes / modifications might be suggested, along with more evaluation, before the car is included in the Can Am class.
        Testing and evaluation will mostly take place on Monday's, before racing starts at 6:00 PM.

Please note, that building and submitting a car for evaluation will NOT guarantee
        that it will be included in the class. Changes may have to be made to a car, so as not to allow
        a "super car", that will blow the doors off existing racers.

Every attempt will be made to keep this class competitive, so that close racing continues (which seems to make it fun for most drivers).

Also, in order to support our local hobby shop, every attempt should be made to purchase the car, body, components, and so on, from Ace Hobby. (As in all classes raced at Ace.)
        Maximum use of parts / components purchased at Ace would be hoped for.

We will try this new Can Am car development policy, on a trial basis, and see how it goes.

Tom (and Dan)

Comment

• Tom

It is nice to see that some new things will be looked at the expand the current crop of cars, allowing for more verity in body and chassis selection.. I think this can really help the class and by trying different things keep the interest of the racers in the class...

A few questions..

"Beginning immediately, anyone may build & develop a Can Am car for possible inclusion in the class, using slot car manufacturer's bodies / chassis / components not currently approved
          for racing in the Can Am class."

Does this mean that we can make and develop our own chassis. out of Brass,PC board or sheet plastic, as long as the rest of the rules for weight are keep in place?

"Once built, the car will be evaluated / tested at Ace Hobby, by the builder, Dan, Tom, & any other interested drivers. Further changes / modifications might be suggested, along with more evaluation, before the car is included in the Can Am class."

How will this work? What base line will be used to judge the cars performance? Will the base line be the current track record best lap time? or something else?

And now the question that will **** off the most people but really needs to be asked....

Who has final call on the cars submitted.. Say the submitted car runs the same time as the track record or under.. That should mean it will be competitive with all the other cars in the group and not a "super car".
          So in my mind any car that runs the same time as the track record or under should be allowed as it will be competitive with all the other cars..

Who makes the call on the car?? Is it voted on by the drivers who race the class or by one or two people..

I think the speck motor is a good idea as a starting point but more motors may be needed to keep the cars in the competitive range you are looking for... Example being the NSR cars they will need to run a different motor and maybe gearing to keep them at or under the track record is that is your base line for judging car.. We have already proved the orange endbell motor in the car makes them too fast...

Other heaver chassis may need more motor and or gearing to make them competitive with the rest of the cars...

That would make the motor and gearing rule a mute point...

I also saw or hear something about full interiors in all cars... With some body and chassis combinations that may not work..

Example being the Fly 512 series of car bodies... I know for a fact that you can't put a HRS chassis under the body with the full interior, as the interior is too low and will not let the body sit right on the chassis... So a tray interior would be called for..

And a number of legal bodies or model kits either have tray interiors or no interiors at all...

Yes this opens up a whole new can or worms, And each car will have to be judged on what it has in way of body and chassis combo.. As long as it meets the min. weight limit..

But I think this will really make the class more interesting and let the racers do what they do best. Tinker, tune, build and experiment and improve the class

Just my thoughts for what they are worth... not much I know...

Chris (the trouble maker )

Comment

• Answers to questions on Can Am car development

This is a new undertaking, and is a work in progress.
            Methods / guidelines may change as we all get into this, and gain experience.

As stated before:
            Every attempt will be made to keep this class competitive, so that close racing continues.

The following answers (in italic font) are my opinion, and gut reaction, at this time.

question:
            Does this mean that we can make and develop our own chassis. out of Brass,PC board or sheet plastic, as long as the rest of the rules for weight are keep in place?

answer:
            To be truthful, this has not yet been discussed. No answer, yet.

question:
            How will this work? What base line will be used to judge the cars performance? Will the base line be the current track record best lap time? or something else?

answer:
            Cars will be evaluated / driven / raced to try to determine fast lap capability, and
            total race lap capability. I believe that the base line will probably NOT be the current track
            record total number of laps driven. I think it will be a performance level / capability close to,
            but not as fast as, the record holder currently.
            Why? If a brand new car is allowed in at the record holding level, it will only get faster as it continued to be worked over / tweaked / etc. by the submitter, (or by someone who builds a similar car, and then tunes it himself). The baseline, so to speak, is still a work in progress.

question:
            Who makes the call on the car?? Is it voted on by the drivers who race the class or by one or two people..

answer:
            The overall race director at Ace Hobby (Dan), and the Monday night race director (Tom).

questions:
            Around allowing tray or card interiors.

answer:
            Has not yet been discussed. To be determined.

Tom
            Last edited by T man; 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Can Am car development

The reason we drive / build / and race slot cars is for fun !

After all, we are men, playing with "toy" cars, for fun & comraderie.

Many (most ?) drivers think that "If it's not broke, don't fix it".
              We are trying something new / different (anyway).
              Let's find our way through development and evaluation issues.
              Things will be worked out.

For me, this is starting to get too much like work.

Tom

Comment

• Tom

Thanks for the info... not being there last week I was not sure what was gone over..

And yeah it will be a work in progress and I think all for the better of the class...

So if I understand this right... The testing will be in the race.. with the owner or someone else driving the car to see how it performs in a race setting??

That sounds good...

I will have 3 cars there next week for testing..

One will be a monogram/revell Lola T70 roadster with the HRS chassis I picked up last week from Ace... the normal orange endbell slot-t motor and gearing... and on my scales comes in at 82 grams

The next one is a white kit NSR P68 all stock running gear with the 20K motor as the orange endbell makes it too fast... so I left the stock gearing 11/32 and its weight it 72 grams.. I am hoping the slower motor and gearing will bring it into a workable range.. may need more weight or different gearing still... testing will tell...

The third one will be a Chaparral C I think it is

This one will have my chassis and the 21k motor inline set up... no ideal what the weight will turn out to be... but more than 70 grams for sure..

Chris
                Last edited by JBriggsK9; 03-02-2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Testing the Can Ams

Chris:

The evaluation of any Can Am trial car will begin before the racing
                  starts. Test laps during practice, that sort of thing.
                  Then, depending on how this goes, running the car during the
                  Can Am race (driven by the builder, or another person - to be
                  determined), would probably take place.

This is what I envision, anyway.

Tom

Comment

• NSR's in Can Am

I must admit, I am having misgivings and second thoughts about allowing a car
                    manufacturer in Can Am that Ace Hobby does not sell, and can NOT order.

As I understand it, NSR's "Distributors" will not allow
                    local hobby shop orders, unless that hobby shop carries the full
                    line of NSR cars, and replacement / tuning part inventory (a large
                    investment).

So...
                    While this issue is being re-examined, I would not be ordering any NSR's, yet.

I appologize for any inconvenience.
                    Sorry!

I my attempt to open up the class, I may have gotten carried away, and
                    overlooked one my own basic tenants of racing at Ace - supporting the track owner.

As has been said several times, this is "a work in progress".

Again, I am sorry for any confusion.

Tom

Comment

• Tom thanks for the info. I will try to get there early so you, Dan and anyone else can play with them.

The was you are setting up the test runs sounds good to me..

I am not sure who Ron's vender is but the local track owner here carries some Scaley part and cars (not a whole lot) and no NSR parts at all. His vender has no problem getting the NSR cars as they come out or ordering cars what someone might want

I do understand about supporting the local track.. But I think if other car are allowed into the field you will see a lot more Slot-it parts being sold. As well as some of the MRRC cars and I an sure Ron can hunt up some Vintage model kits, I know they are still out there.

And all of my chassis that I make up and are real easy to do use nothing but but slot-it parts..

Yeah it will take time to get things worked out.

Chris

Comment

• Can Am car development - update

Confirming what was previously posted,
                        NSR cars are NOT allowed.
                        Ace Hobby cannot order them.

At this time, "scratch built" chassis (example: brass pan, wire or
                        tube frame, etc.) will NOT be allowed.

Experimentation / development of a Slot-It "HRS" chassis, in another
                        manufacturer's body, (like Monogram / Revell) is ongoing.
                        Chris built a Monogram Lola / HRS, and is developing it. He raced
                        it on 3/7, on a trial basis, and put down a respectable 56.80 laps.

Tom

Comment

• Race Results from 3/7/11

9 racers made it, allowing us to run marshalled races, with Sandy's
                          help on the button (thanks Sandy!).

The Canadian contingent was here in force (Thomas & Dom).
                          Chris came from the far side of Rochester.
                          C-Bill drove, new controller in hand, welcome back, Bill.
                          Sadly, Team Big Tree Speedway had no members present. Must have been "big doin's"
                          in the south towns, to keep them away. Maple sugar time, snow blower maintenance,
                          late winter sheep shearing, who knows - ha!

There was much talk about how much "a-- kicking" Ron may, or may not, do tonight.

DP

Yellow Dog put up his smokin' fast Dahlara, and then there were the rest of us.
                          He won, by 1.95 laps, setting the second best all time lap record. Congratulations Yellow Dog.
                          Positions 2 - 5 were only separated by 1.55 laps, in a close race for the remaining two
                          places on the podium.

1.Yellow Dog, 60.80 laps
                          2.Ron, 58.85
                          3.Al, 58.55
                          4.Tom, 58.50
                          5.C-Bill, 57.25
                          6.Thomas, 56.45
                          7.Dom, 56.25
                          8.Chris, 55.10
                          9.Josh, 50.60

fast laps:
                          yellow, 11.535 seconds all by Yellow Dog!
                          black, 11.577
                          white, 11.569
                          red, 11.738

Can Am

Ron and Thomas entered their Fly's, Chris ran a Monogram Lola, and the rest were Slot-It's
                          (3 Chaparrals, & 2 Ferrari 312's).
                          Early predictions had the Chaparrals of Dom & Al as the class of the field, and that was exactly
                          the results. Al won by .60 lap over Dom. Congratulations Al.
                          Positions 3 - 6 were only separated by 1.25 laps.

1.Al, 59.85 laps
                          2.Dom, 59.25
                          3.Tom, 58.05 (by fast lap)
                          4.Yellow Dog, 58.05
                          5.Ron, 57.50
                          6.Chris, 56.80
                          7.Thomas, 55.85
                          8.Josh, 47.10

fast laps:
                          yellow, 11.655 seconds all by Dom!
                          black, 11.566
                          white, 11.728
                          red, 11.929

Slot-It Group C2

Thomas practiced with his beautiful Porsche 962, in a "Shell" livery, hand done from a
                          "white kit". Nice job! He said it wasn't race ready yet. We'll have to wait to see it
                          on the starting grid.

The field consisted of 4 Porsche 956's, 2 Jaguars, 1 Porsche 962, and 1 Lancia.
                          Al, put up his newly redone, gold 962. Nice job!

Would tonight be the night that the class lap record gets over 60 laps?
                          In a close race, Yellow Dog took first over Ron, by just .15 lap, setting a new class total
                          lap record. Congratulations Yellow Dog. The 60 lap mark is still untouched in C2.
                          Positions 3 - 5 were just .25 lap apart.
                          The Jaguars of Yellow Dog & Chris were flying tonight. No one remembered when Jags had done
                          this well in a Group C2 race.

1.Yellow Dog, 59.85 laps
                          2.Ron, 59.70
                          3.Chris, 58.55
                          4.Al, 58.50
                          5.Tom, 58.30
                          6.Thomas, 57.25
                          7.Josh, 51.30

fast laps:
                          yellow, Ron 11.600 seconds
                          black, Ron 11.610
                          white, Yellow Dog 11.735
                          red, Ron, 11.900

Thanks to Ace Hobby for the track time, and thanks to all who came to race.

Next week is an even numbered day of the month (3/14), so the last race will be GT's.

Well, as difficult as it was for the writer to type this in while standing up (sore butt, from
                          Ron's a-- kicking), it must be noted that Ron took two seconds, and a fifth place finish.
                          Most of the drivers will have trouble sitting today - ha!

Tom
                          Last edited by T man; 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM. Reason: Correction to Can Am.

Comment

• Race results for 3/14/11

Nine drivers were at Ace Hobby, enabling us to run marshalled races (except for
                            a turn or two).

Chris made it from Honeoye Falls. Steve was the only one from the south towns.

Ron's recent successes, and "a-- kicking bragging rights", automatically
                            put him at (or near) the top of everyone's "driver to beat list", again - ha!
                            However, give the man credit, he has been beating the majority
                            of the competitors, so if you can deliver - it's not bragging.

A lot of new orange end bell motors have been sold over the last
                            month, they must be showing up in various driver's cars.
                            How will that effect the racing?

DP

Yellow Dog's (in)famous Sun Trust Dallara was the pre-race favorite.
                            Both of Al's fast DP's were in the field, with C-Bill driving the Sun Trust.
                            The rest of us tried to make laps, and earn our "also competed" ribbons.
                            Yellow Dog beat the second place car (Al) by 1.45 laps, with the 3rd most laps by
                            a DP class car. Congratulations Dan.
                            Positions 3 - 5 were within .30 lap of one another.

1.Yellow Dog, 60.55 laps
                            2.Al, 59.10
                            3.Tom, 58.55
                            4.Ron, 58.25 (by 1/2 inch)
                            5.C-Bill, 58.25
                            6.Chris, 56.85
                            7.Steve, 55.85
                            8.Will, 52.50
                            9.Josh, 51.60

fast laps:
                            yellow, 11.502 seconds All by Yellow Dog!
                            black, 11.544
                            white, 11.598
                            red, 11.782

Can Am

Ron entered the only Fly (Porsche 917). Chris put up his Monogram Lola / HRS.
                            The rest of the field were Slot-Its (1 Alfa, 3 Ferraris, and 3 Chaparrals).
                            With neither of Russ' two fast cars in the field, nor Dom's quick Chaparral,
                            the pre-race pick had to be Al's Chaparral.
                            The race was not a particularly fast one, due to track calls & multiple offs by most
                            drivers. However it was an extremely close race!
                            Six drivers finished with 57 laps, and the difference from 1st to 6th was only .65 laps!
                            How is that for close, competitive driving race fans?!
                            Will and Josh may have finished with their most (Can Am) laps yet - good job.

1.Tom, 57.90 laps
                            2.Al, 57.70
                            3.Chris, 57.65 (by a foot)
                            4.Ron, 57.65
                            5.C-Bill, 57.25 (by a foot)
                            6.Yellow Dog, 57.25
                            7.Steve, 54.75
                            8.Will, 53.50
                            9.Josh, 53.40

fast laps:
                            yellow, Al 11.821 seconds
                            black, Al 11.758
                            white, Tom 11.911
                            red, Tom 12.184

GT

With Russ' very fast blue Ferrari F40 not here, a pre-race favorite was hard to pick.
                            Yellow Dog's orange McClaren, and Al's Ferrari F40 had to be at the top of the list;
                            followed by Ron's always podium capable black McClaren, and Tom's re-energized McClaren.
                            Three Nissan's rounded out the field.
                            It looked like a three way run for the top spot, then Al lost laps due to electrical problems /
                            blown fuses. Yellow Dog (and Al) almost fried the computer speakers, with the sounds from
                            their repeated, and very fast laps.
                            In the end of a quick race, Yellow Dog was just short of running down Tom.

1.Tom, 60.10 laps
                            2.Yellow Dog, 59.95
                            3.Ron, 58.25
                            4.Steve, 56.90
                            5.Chris, 56.60
                            6.Al, 55.60
                            7.Will, 52.75
                            8.Josh, 50.35

fast laps:
                            yellow, 11.415 seconds All by Yellow Dog!
                            black, 11.391
                            white, 11.427
                            red, 11.670

Thanks to Ron, at Ace Hobby, for the track time, and thanks to those who came.

Well, with a 3rd & two 4th place finishes, Ron did manage to create some sore butts
                            in over half of the drivers! The man is wearing out the bottom of his sneakers, and the
                            back side of many people's jeans - ha!

Next week is an odd numbered day of the month (3/21), so the last race will be C2's.
                            Will next week be when the 60 lap mark is hit in C2's?

Tom
                            Last edited by T man; 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Race results for 3/21/11

9 Drivers came, enabling us to run marshalled races (with Billy's help on the button - Thanks
                              Billy!).

Chris came from Honeoye Falls, and Steve was the lone south towns representative.

A certain LHS owner was a little more subdued with his usual pre-race "I'm gonna kick ..."
                              talk.

Would the 60 lap total for C2's be reached today?

DP

Yellow Dog's fast Sun Trust Dallara was the pre-race pick to win. How would the rest of the
                              podium look?
                              Yellow Dog won by 1.25 laps over the second place finisher, and the rest of the field was a
                              bit spread out (by DP standards). Congratulations Dan.

1.Yellow Dog 60.25 laps
                              2.Tom, 59.00
                              3.Ron, 57.70
                              4.Al, 57.50
                              5.Chris, 55.25
                              6.Steve, 54.25
                              7.Will, 52.40
                              8.Josh, 49.65
                              9.John, 41.85

fast laps:
                              yellow, 11.644 seconds All by Yellow Dog!
                              black, 11.642
                              white, 11.677
                              red, 11.884

Can Am

Ron put up his Fly Porsche 917, and Chris entered his Fly Porsche 908 / HRS chassis.
                              The rest of the field was all Slot-It: 3 Chaparral's, and 4 Ferrari 312's.

The Can Am's have been very competitive, and today was no exception.
                              Steve & his Chaparral had a good run. Chris & his hybrid (Fly / HRS) Porsche 908 had
                              a good first run. The top 3 finishers were all within .40 lap of one another.
                              Yellow Dog had his Ferrari 312 flying, however the Chaparrals of Al & Tom just edged it
                              out. Al won by .35 lap. Congratulations Al.

1.Al, 59.20 laps
                              2.Tom, 58.85
                              3.Yellow Dog, 58.80
                              4.Ron, 57.25
                              5.Steve, 57.05
                              6.Chris, 54.90
                              7.Will, 54.50
                              8.Josh, 49.15
                              9.John, 31.20 electrical problems (wire)

fast laps:
                              yellow, 11.835 seconds All by Al!
                              black, 11.831
                              white, 11.787
                              red, 12.077

C2's

There were 5 Porsche 956's, 2 Jaguars, and a Mazda in the all Slot-It Group C2 field.
                              The white Bud Light Jaguars of Yellow Dog & Chris were flying two weeks ago,
                              what would happen today against the yellow New Man Porsches of Al & Tom?
                              Would someone hit the 60 lap mark?

It was a fast, close race. The top 5 finishers were all within 1.80 lap of one another.
                              Al won over Yellow Dog's second place car by .55 lap, and set a new lap total record
                              for C2's (59.90 laps). Congratulations Al.
                              Will's just out of the box Tic Tac Porsche did well, for a brand new car.

1.Al, 59.90 laps New class lap record.
                              2.Yellow Dog, 59.35
                              3.Tom, 58.95
                              4.Chris, 58.70
                              5.Ron, 58.10
                              6.Steve, 56.60
                              7.Will, 51.50
                              8.John, 45.05

To say Al had a good night would be an understatement! Two 1st place finishes
                              (one while setting a class record), and a 4th place.
                              Yellow Dog also had a good night, with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finish.

The LHS owner had finishes of 3rd, 4th , and 5th, kicking well over half of the butts there.

Thanks to Ron, for the track time, and to those who came to race.

Next Monday is the 28th day of the month (3/28), so the third race will be GT's.

Tom

Comment

• Linda called and said Ron is fine. I will try to get to the hospital to see him tomorrow on my way to Ace.
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X