No Magnet Racing at Ace Hobby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alp716 View Post
    Went Dan made up Friday racing rules. He want to make it differnt from Monday night rules Maybe we should leave that way. Friday have to change their rules to fix what they are runing anyway. Mondays was always the RPM on motors.No Watts or Torque limit. Let's leave it that way.
    Al
    I'm good with that. Anyone else?

Comment

• And just to be annoying (I live for this) ... if Slot.it had put a real motor in their LMP cars instead of that crappy yellow flat 6, I'll bet that none of this would have been necessary.

JUST KIDDING!! (really... no offense intended to anyone or anything)
      Last edited by MacMoose; 06-12-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Can everyone tell it's late at night and I have nothing to do?

Comment

• Ok , my turn . I've been keeping quiet because I don't show up to race too often .

The biggest problem is the GT 2 class , in my opinion GT 2 should be limited to inline and sidewinder motor pods only , no anglewinders .. If we allow an anglewinder pod with a short can motor with an adaptor , we are blurring the line between all GT classes . Under this new proposal a car built as a GTA can now be legal to race as a GT 1 or a GT 2 car . So much for scoring them seperate .Not to mention , with the anglewinder set up , there is a greater selection of gear ratios . We need to keep GTA as is , and GT 2 as short can motors with choice of IL or SW pods and open gears . And while I'm on a roll , do we really need that many choices of motors for GT 1 and GT 2 ? Three or four choices for each class should be ok . Rating a motor in watts is silly at best , every manufacturer rates their motors as so many rpm at such voltage , and produces so much torque , we should do the same .

Comment

• Based on Pete's motor research …

Thank you Pete for your motor research, which I reprinted below.

Keeping in mind that Friday night racing was created to be the "go fast" night at Ace Hobby.

Upon further review, I jumped the gun by posting the proposed rule changes before the motor performance research was in. MY fault. Sorry.

I believe that we should NOT increase Monday night GT1 motor rules above 22,000 rpm (where they are now).

OR possibly, keep the GT1 rpm max. at 22k; and additionally, allow ONLY the Slot-it Flat 6RS, 25k motor.

Anything else, and we are opening a "can of worms" that Monday night racing was not designed to be.
            Keep Fridays as the "speed crazed" night, not Mondays.

Tom

NSR
            King 25 EVO (blue label), 25,000 rpm, Watts = 21.88 - OK Monday, not Friday
            King 21 EVO3, (pink-ish) label), 21,400 rpm, Watts = 18.73 - OK Monday, not Friday
            King 21 EVO, (green label) 21,400 rpm, Watts = 17.23 - legal both nights

Slot.it
            Boxer 2, 21,500 rpm, Watts = 18.28 - legal both nights
            Flat 6RS, 25,000 rpm, Watts = 15 - legal both nights
            Flat 6S, 22,500 rpm, Watts = 12.94 - legal both nights
            Flat 6R, 22,000 rpm, Watts = 12.10 - legal both nights

Scalextric:
            none found

Scaleauto:
            Long Can Sprinter Junior-2, 22,500 rpm, Watts = 24.19 - OK Monday, not Friday
            Long Can Tech 2, 25,000rpm, Watts = 22.5 - OK Monday, not Friday.
            Long-Can Endurance, 22,000rpm, Watts = 17.49 - legal both nights
            Long-Can Sprinter-2, 21,500rpm, Watts = 16.13 - legal both nights
            Long-Can Tech-1 20,000rpm, Watts = 14.25 - legal both nights
            Long-Can Zero Magnet 23,000rpm, Watts = 12.42 - legal both nights

Comment

• In summary, for GT1 motor rules:

I believe that we should NOT increase Monday night GT1 motor rules above 22,000 rpm (where they are now).

OR possibly, keep the GT1 rpm max. at 22k; and additionally, allow ONLY the Slot-it Flat 6RS, 25k motor.

COMMENTS?

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by MP Sal View Post
                Ok , my turn . I've been keeping quiet because I don't show up to race too often .
                The biggest problem is the GT 2 class , in my opinion GT 2 should be limited to inline and sidewinder motor pods only , no anglewinders .. If we allow an anglewinder pod with a short can motor with an adaptor , we are blurring the line between all GT classes . Under this new proposal a car built as a GTA can now be legal to race as a GT 1 or a GT 2 car
                I made my proposal because it seemed to me that the rules were a little wonky and GT2 was dead in a ditch. GT2, I believe, started as a GT car version of Daytona Prototype with a 1mm o/s pod and a 9/26 gear ratio. It may have been a roaring success before I started racing at Ace, but was far less popular than DP by the time I arrived. I also saw that NSR GT cars were allowed to run GT2 with a small can in a long can inline NSR pod while the Scaleauto sidewinders with an s-can motor were stuck in GTA, but not allowed in GT2. I suppose it was a perceived performance thing but, IMO, no wonder GT2 croaked.
                SIDE NOTE: While a mostly hopeless adventure, you could always run a GTA in GT1. Any GT body style is ok and the mandatory GTA yellow flat 6 motor is inside the GT1 limits. I did it a few times when my GT1 car was too miserable to drive (or broken). I got my tail feathers burned, of course... but I got in the race.

Originally posted by MP Sal View Post
                And while I'm on a roll , do we really need that many choices of motors for GT 1 and GT 2 ? Three or four choices for each class should be ok . Rating a motor in watts is silly at best , every manufacturer rates their motors as so many rpm at such voltage , and produces so much torque , we should do the same .
                I agree that it would be nice to have 1 or 2 motors on the list, but a few of the ones on it aren't going to be serious contenders anyway and if you have orange endbell slot.its you're going to be fine. The yellow flat 6 has more torque for sure, but it's heavier than the s-can... and the GT1 and GTA class records used to be identical until GTA got open gear ratios.

Comment

• Originally posted by T man View Post
                  In summary, for GT1 motor rules:

I believe that we should NOT increase Monday night GT1 motor rules above 22,000 rpm (where they are now) OR possibly, keep the GT1 rpm max. at 22k; and additionally, allow ONLY the Slot-it Flat 6RS, 25k motor.

COMMENTS?
                  I'm OK with leaving Monday night GT1 as is.

Comment

• I think you should toss out running scale auto motors if Ron does not sell them at the store.

Comment

• Originally posted by MacMoose View Post

I made my proposal because it seemed to me that the rules were a little wonky and GT2 was dead in a ditch. GT2, I believe, started as a GT car version of Daytona Prototype with a 1mm o/s pod and a 9/26 gear ratio. It may have been a roaring success before I started racing at Ace, but was far less popular than DP by the time I arrived. I also saw that NSR GT cars were allowed to run GT2 with a small can in a long can inline NSR pod while the Scaleauto sidewinders with an s-can motor were stuck in GTA, but not allowed in GT2. I suppose it was a perceived performance thing but, IMO, no wonder GT2 croaked.
                      SIDE NOTE: While a mostly hopeless adventure, you could always run a GTA in GT1. Any GT body style is ok and the mandatory GTA yellow flat 6 motor is inside the GT1 limits. I did it a few times when my GT1 car was too miserable to drive (or broken). I got my tail feathers burned, of course... but I got in the race.

I agree that it would be nice to have 1 or 2 motors on the list, but a few of the ones on it aren't going to be serious contenders anyway and if you have orange endbell slot.its you're going to be fine. The yellow flat 6 has more torque for sure, but it's heavier than the s-can... and the GT1 and GTA class records used to be identical until GTA got open gear ratios.
                      GT2 actually started as what the Slot-It GT cars were produced stock. They were GT class cars with the Grey, .05 mm offset pods with Orange end-bell motors that were stock in the cars with the stock gearing to start with just being able to change to any "17" wheels and any silicone tires. It wasn't until a couple years later when Slot-It in all of its questionable wisdom started putting their flat six yellow motors in their 1 mm offset angle-winder pods as stock into their GT's. Just wanted you to know the correct history of the GT2 class It wasn't that it was less poplar, but that more racers wanted to be at least more competitive overall with the GT2's/GTA's and that wasn't practicable until recently.

Steve "SABarnes"
                      Last edited by SABarnes; 06-14-2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• Kevin,
                        Ron sells scale auto cars and I believe that you should have the option to run the stock motor if you choose to. That would be the only reason to leave them in.

Comment

• Monday night GT Rules, Revised 6/14/19

After posting, and speaking to several Monday night racers at Ace (on 6/14), the Monday night GT Rules revisions are done. GT1 motors will remain at 30k for S cans, & 22k for long cans.
                          The "new" GT2 class is essentially a merger of the old GT2 & GTA classes.

See complete Monday night GT Rules on Post #1688.

Happy racing!

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by T man View Post
                            Monday night GT Rules, Revised 6/14/19

See complete Monday night GT Rules on Post #1688.

Happy racing!

Tom
                            Thanks, Tom!

Comment

• Ace Hobby’s Friday Night No-Mag of 6/14/2019
                              Featuring F.Ron’s (or “Packerhead” as per cake inscription) birthday party AND it was Flag Day! So... an ice cream cake was presented with the inscription “Happy Birthday Packerhead” and several efforts were made to cut it. A number of sharp implements were tried and, eventually, brute force (and rising cake temperature) prevailed and a proper disbursal of cake was made. Happy birthday was sung, grilling was done, and felicitations of the occasion were offered to F. Ron, Man of the Hour/Day, etc.

And now, the racing.
                              Trans Am – There were seven Scalextrics and one SCX (which is pretty near a Scalextric, anyway).
                              1. Alex, 75.70, 9.235
                              2. Joe, 74.90, 9.446
                              3. F.Ron, 74.45, 9.344
                              4. Troydog, 73.80, 9.512
                              5. Al, 73.70, 9.374
                              6. Pete, 73.30, 9.446
                              7. Gill, 70.15, 9.642
                              8. Max, 66.90, 10.164
                              Fast Laps
                              Y: 9.235, Alex
                              W: 9.306, Alex
                              B: 9.453, F.Ron
                              R: 9.543, F.Ron

Group C – in which many quick laps were recorded.
                              1. Alex, 79.70, 8.831 (ties the race record )
                              2. Troydog, 79.25, 8.834
                              3. F.Ron, 78.90, 8.863 (restored to co-holder of 3rd place race record in recognition of previous achievement).
                              4. Al, 77.10, 9.043
                              5. Joe, 76.85, 9.041
                              6. Pete, 75.35, 9.042
                              7. Gill, 74.60, 9.232
                              8. Brian, 73.30, 9.089
                              9. Max, 70.10, 9.755
                              Fast Laps
                              Y: 8.831, Alex
                              W: 8.868, Troydog
                              B: 9.011, Alex
                              R: 9.064, Troydog

GT – A mighty struggle in which Al minds his business and emerges first . Troy and Alex end up separated by a half of a skosh (a bit more than a centimeter for those unfamiliar with the skosh system).
                              1. Al, 80.40, 8.728
                              2. Alex, 80.10 + ½ skosh, 8.677
                              3. Troydog, 80.10, 8.660
                              4. Joe, 78.35, 8.803
                              5. F.Ron , 78.10, 8.774
                              6. Gill, 75.90, 9.010
                              7. Pete, 73.15, 9.031
                              8. Max, 69.40, 9.543
                              Fast Laps
                              Y: 8.660, Troydog
                              W: 8.729, Alex
                              B: 8.778, Al
                              R: 8.962, Al

Friday Night Track Records
                              Trans Am: 9.091, F.Ron
                              76.35, Troy, 3/30/18
                              76.30, Troy, 3/9/18
                              75.90, Joe, 5/13/19

Friday Grp C: 8.661, Troydog
                              79.70, Troy, 10/14/18 & Alex, 6/14/19
                              79.60, Troy, 4/19/19
                              79.35, Troy, 3/30/18 & F.Ron, date unk.

Friday GT: 8.356, Russ
                              82.55, Alex, 7/21/17
                              82.40, Joe, 8/4/17
                              82.35, Alex, 7/7/17

Friday LMP: 8.775, Troydog
                              81.30, Troydog, 5/27/16
                              81.15, Troydog, 1/27/17
                              80.70, Al, 3/18/16

Comment

• June Seventeenth, Two Thousand and Nineteen
                                Monday Night “No-Magnet” Racing @ Ace Hobby

Quote of the week: “LMP sucks.” – Don Ronaldo de Ace, Proprietor y Plenipotentiary*

Formula 1 – in which there is a very, very close battle for 2nd and another race record is established by getting through heat 1 without multiple crashes.
                                1. Chris, 76.25, 9.243 (new race record)
                                2. Pete, 75.40, 9.248
                                3. Al, 75.30, 9.303
                                4. F.Ron , 75.20, 9.333
                                5. Alex, 71.00, 9.455 (fun run)
                                6. Steve, 68.80, 10.094
                                7. Sal, 66.55, 10.510
                                Fast Laps
                                Y: 9.303, Al
                                W: 9.366, Chris
                                B: 9.243, Chris
                                R: 9.398, Chris

Daytona Prototype – in which there was more very close racing.
                                1. Chris, 74.45, 9.479
                                2. Pete, 73.95, 9.581
                                3. Al, 73.70, 9.496
                                4. Alex, 73.50, 9.525
                                5. F.Ron , 70.65, 9.595
                                6. Steve, 69.70, 9.986
                                7. Sal, 64.35, 10.147
                                Fast Laps
                                Y: 9.496, Al
                                W: 9.492, Chris
                                B: 9.479, Chris
                                R: 9.559, Chris

GT-1/GT2 – run under the newly adopted GT1/GT2 rules. NOTE: Sal ran as a GTA in protest.
                                1. F.Ron , GT1, 79.50. 8.800
                                2. Chris, GT2, 79.30, 8.893 (race and lap record)
                                3. Steve, GT1, 76.10, 9.121
                                4. Pete, GT1, 76.05, 9.084
                                5. Al, GT2, 75.35, 9.280
                                6. Sal, GT2 (or GTA depending on your viewpoint), 70.90, 9.760

Fast Laps, GT1: Y: 8.800, W: 8.896, B: 8.884, R: 9.015, F.Ron
                                Fast Laps, GT2: Y: 8.955, W: 8.945, B: 8.893, R: 8.970, Chris

Race #4: LMP
                                1. Al, 79.90, 8.774
                                2. Chris, 78.10, 8.758
                                3. Steve, 75.30, 9.271
                                4. Sal, 72.05, 9.543
                                5. Pete , 71.70, 9.501
                                Fast Laps
                                Y: 8.774, Al
                                W: 8.758, Chris
                                B: 8.796, Chris
                                R: 8.849, Chris

Thanks to F.Ron for the great venue and the group sauna!
                                Thanks to Steve for the usual tech and computering.
                                Thanks to Brian for hanging out and marshalling .
                                Good luck and a speedy recovery to our good buddy and host, F. Ron!

*Plenipotentiary - 1) n. a person invested with the full power of independent action on behalf of their government, typically in a foreign country (minister plenipotentiary); 2) adj. having full power to take independent action.
                                Last edited by MacMoose; 06-18-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X