Track: The Woody Monster
    Lane: White
    Track Length: 74’
    Power: 10.5 volts
    Driver: Mark
    Comments: Mark

Class A
    7.181 cj74 #12 - motor seems sluggish loose on entry
    7.137 aloha #3 - fast, smooth, tips over on exit (right turns)
    7.237 lancelotolove #23 - slow motor, grippy,
    7.394 arroldn #14 - speed is perfect, too grippy for track, tippy

Class B
    6.754 audi1 #4 - might be too fast, smooth, not enough track
    6.775 reek455 #1 - good speed, tire squirm
    6.680 steveew #3 - smooth, great drive
    7.192 mitch58 #3 - down on motor, loose
    6.725 aloha #7 - has slight chatter, good speed
    6.627 jscott455 #7 - fast smooth
    7.190 lancelotolove #31 - good speed, loose, chatter
    6.824 kid voltage #3 - might be too fast, rough, tires unglued, hops
    6.163 ajk #20 - in a league of its own, nsr tires work best on the woody

Race results to follow shortly…

Tires unglued? Those Washington boys must have been mad dogs with it!

Glue them back on after the round please.

Comment

Race Results

Carrera Scramble Race Results

Date: 2017-04-12
      Round: 7
      Track: The Woody Monster
      Track Length: 74’
      Power: 10.5 volts
      Heat Length: 3 minutes
      Lane 1 Red: Mark
      Lane 2 White: Sean
      Lane 3 Blue: Jason
      Lane 4 Black: Jon

Race Results

Class A
      ................lane.1....lane.2....lane.3....lane .4....total.....tenths...final
      .................red.......white.....blue......bla ck....laps...............total
      aloha #3..........24........23........24........24...... ..95.......0.5......95.5
      lancelotolove #23.23........23........23........23
      cj74 #12..........22........23........22........23
      arroldn #14.......22........21........23........22

Class B
      ................lane.1....lane.2....lane.3....lane .4....total.....tenths...final
      .................red.......white.....blue......bla ck....laps...............total
      ajk #20...........26........25........26........25
      aloha #7..........25........24........26........25
      reek455 #1........24........25........25........25
      steveew #3 .......25........25........24........24
      audi1 #4..........25........25........24........24
      jscott455 #7......25........23........23........25
      mitch58 #3........24........23........24........23
      lancelotolove #31.22........23........24........24
      kid voltage #3....24........20........22........23

Best Lap

Class A
      aloha #3 - 6.930 red
      lancelotolove #23 - 7.210 red
      cj74 #12 - 7.372 red
      arroldn #14 - 7.255 red

Class B
      ajk #20 - 6.192 red
      aloha #7 - 6.753 red
      reek455 #1 - 6.917 red
      steveew #3 - 6.823 red
      audi1 #4 - 6.697 blue
      jscott455 #7 - 6.595 red
      mitch58 #3 - 7.124 red
      lancelotolove #31 - 7.206 red
      kid voltage #3 - 6.684 red

Photos and comments to follow…
      Last edited by low tech; 04-14-2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

? this urethane only series.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steeveew View Post
          ? this urethane only series.

Steve
          Yes. A decision will be forthcoming. I'm on the road. Hang in there.

Comment

I have heard this in other forums as well. So how do you fix a car that is too grippy?

Thanks to all who ran the cars and low tech for hosting.

Arrold

Comment

I talked to Tony. The NSR tires were a mistake on his part, he didn't read the rules. I should have noticed but his car missed the first event and arrived while I was packing the cars for the second so I just added it to the group and off we went. I clearly did not do my job.

I sincerely apologize.

We'll be pulling Tony's car from the competition and revising the results to show that.

For status, we expect possibly one more event in Georgia, one or two in Pennsylvania and then a return to Oregon for one more event.

Onward we go...

Comment

Monte
                May I ask a favor and that is a special request to allow his car to continue as a "celebrity" car. I for one find it interesting to see how his tire formula runs against the rest. If his points are not credited I understand
                Just my two cents
                Thank you
                Aloha
                Dale

Comment

I agree pretty much. It never occurred to me I should check his tires after it ran here. Not a lot of traction as the results showed. But... we don't normally run NSR tires locally for just that reason. It seems so clear now. How embarrassing.

So we can let it run as a celebrity car but how will we feel if the celebrity takes one of us out?

Anybody want to comment?

Comment

Comments

I didn’t even know the Carrera Scramble existed until Mark said he needed help running the race. He ran it last year, but I missed it, apparently there is something else besides slot car racing and I was doing it. Couldn’t have been important, because I cannot remember what it was. In any case I like the concept. I think I’m the only one in our racing group that owns a 3d chassis for Carrera DTM, but I have not built the chassis, other than fitting it to the body.

While racing the stock chassis cars, I concluded they all felt similar. They mostly needed more motor. If the rules allowed a motor upgrade for stock class the racing would be interesting. Or allowed running the stock chassis with upgrade parts that would also be interesting.

The 3D chassis cars were all over the place, mostly, I think again because of the motor variation.

All the urethane tires gave a grip the felt similar. Mark’s track The Woody Monster is not what I would call a urethane track. We run rubber and rubber works very well on the track. So giving us a group of cars with urethane tires is a bit of a curve ball.

Mark qualified the cars on white lane, an interior lane, and tried to get the fastest time possible. For the race he then drove red lane, gutter, and first lane to rotate in on. He can really drive his own track and get the most out of any car. The rest of us struggled along with cars and tires we were not as familiar with. I think we need to branch out more.

In any case all the cars had good builds. No mechanical problems during qualifying or racing.

Jon’s (aka low tech) Comments

Class A
                    cj74 #12 - feels slow, car is neutral, can deslot without warning
                    aloha #3 - best speed in stock class, very good handling, if this car had an upgraded motor, I think it would contend at top of Class B
                    lancelotolove #23 - good, car is very neutral, easy to drive
                    arroldn #14 - high front end, deslots without warning, good speed

Class B
                    audi1 #4 - fast, good acceleration, good brakes, balanced
                    reek455 #1 - handles well, needs more grip
                    steveew #3 - neutral and well balanced, needs a little more grip
                    mitch58 #3 - neutral, handles well, motor a little weak
                    aloha #7 - never reaches full speed, deslots without warning, cannot push the car
                    jscott455 #7 - cannot push the car
                    lancelotolove #31 - good balance of speed and acceleration, left turn problems
                    kid voltage #3 - never reaches full speed, hard to drive, chatters
                    ajk #20 - lots of grip, good motor, easy to get most of the car

I'd like to give better feedback, but it is hard to keep track of all the cars and take notes as well.

On the whole I liked driving the cars. I would really like to see how the stock cars drive with a little more motor. Some of the Class B cars had too much motor or too much voltage for Mark’s track. I’m curious to look at race results to see which track these cars preform better on.

BTW, I posted results and comments for Mark because his SCI id is messed up.

jon
                    Last edited by low tech; 04-14-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Photos

Photos by Mark and iphone7

Class A

Class B

Last edited by low tech; 04-14-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Let Tony finish the series,he can even keep his points as far as I'm concerned.

Steve

Comment

Well, from my position near the bottom of the pack I say let him run, it's all for fun anyway. Where a different tire might be an advantage at one location, it is probably a disadvantage elsewhere.

As for my motor, I believe I used a Piranha 21.4K?. I had considered a hotter motor but what little proxy experience I had told me that the faster the car the harder it is for some proxy drivers to keep it in the slot. I put it together looking for drivability and ran it on one of our larger tracks and turned in very good, very consistent lap times. What I didn't do was run it with the hotter motor for comparison . Evidently these 3D chassis drivability far exceeds the motor I chose.

Oh well you learn something new with every proxy. I have found that I enjoy following and participating in the various Proxies that I've entered almost as much as the racing itself, and except for a couple of classes, my position in this proxy isn't too far off from my regular racing position. But then if I felt I had to win all of the time I would have stuck with arm wrestling.
                          Last edited by Mitch58; 04-15-2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Well all, It's my f-up. Do what needs to done. I'm ok with it.
                            But it was a fun build from tech block to the mail box!
                            Last edited by AJK; 04-15-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Jon,
                              Curious about the high front end. I think it is pretty much stock. However it is the older model car. Maybe the newer models are lower.

Arrold

Comment

Working...
                              X