2011 Cheetah Invitational Proxy - Round 2 - Plainfield NJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Cheetah Invitational Proxy - Round 2 - Plainfield NJ

I was pulling the trigger watching the vid. Great stuff.
    Last edited by Lou E; 03-30-2011, 09:57 AM.

• acmost
    replied
    2011 CIP Scoring - Plainfield NJ

Here's the Final Results for Round 2 - Plainfield, NJ, with points and how they were calculated if anybody...
    Last edited by acmost; 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NJSLOT1_32
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words folks, was a pleasure hosting. To hopefully add some perspective, I updated post #2 in this thread with some comparison lap times from other cars I ran the same day I did the official 12v race.

Leave a comment:

• Lou E
    replied
    Originally posted by borninthe50s View Post
    Thanks for the comments, the photos, the vids, and all the work you put in. Hope to see you in next year's proxy 50s
    What he said!!

Leave a comment:

• JBriggsK9
    replied
    NJSLOT1_32

thanks for all the hard work you put in.... Thanks for the comemts and last years car weighed in at about 130 grams and this years at 98.. Yeah there is still need for improvment in the weight dept.

Very Nice track

Chris

Leave a comment:

• acmost
    replied
    Great stuff everybody...nice track!

I wish more Cheetah folk showed up but since I bailed I can't really whine, besides it's quality over quantity.

Leave a comment:

• borninthe50s
    replied
    Thanks for the comments, the photos, the vids, and all the work you put in. Hope to see you in next year's proxy 50s
    Last edited by borninthe50s; 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM. Reason: stupid typos!

Leave a comment:

• NJSLOT1_32
    replied
    Final Comments, CIP Round 2

Final comments on individual car performance:

Lou E, #26

This car had what I feel would be significantly more potential, but the urethane tires didn't hook up well on my track. I do hear good things about the Paul Gage tires though, so it may perform better on other tracks. I couldn't get the power down, and the car slid a bit too much. Gear mesh was a bit off, and after completing the 10 minute run, and doing the final video for fun, the crown gear stripped. With Lou's permission, made a few adjustments, and the car is running better now, hopefully the tires hook up better on the next track. Not a bad runner, on my track I'm sure it would do fine with silicone tires.

Munter, #9

This car benefitted the most in my 'fun run' at 10v, finishing 4th instead of 6th as it did officially at 12v. The guide binds a bit, which impacted handling on my track. If you watch the first video I posted of the cars running unattended (at 5v), you can notice the car not recovering smoothly from a couple of slides, based on the guide binding. Braid is also pretty worn, owner may consider sending some ahead to next destination for changing (if that's allowed). Yet the car still ran in the middle of the pack at 10v. I'm pretty sure it would do better if the guide and braid were addressed. Great looking car as well, winner of Concours.

Rixvette, #5

I was able to get a decent rhythm with this car after several laps, but couldn't take the corners as deep as I wanted to, the guide on this one binds as well. I suspect this car may benefit from an offset crown gear, or possibly shimming the motor upward, to improve gear mesh. Listening to the video of the individual car runs at 10v, you can hear this one squealing, which I know is expected of hypoid gear setups, but the crown gear didn't look to be offset from what I could see from bottom of the car. Just my guess, could be way off on that. Tires were not as grippy as the other silicones, car tended to fishtail a bit more than others. Looks nice & mean with those big rear wheels...still fun to drive.

Big Jack, #68

Lotsa motor here...a longer straight would've helped the car finish higher, my main straight is a tad over 15', going into a soft, slightly banked turn. I had to back off about 1/2 way down the straight to get around the curve. Yet with all that power and potential for quirkiness, the car was pretty smooth, and stayed planted pretty well. The offs were because of my lack of early braking, I tend to drive deeper into the curves, but the coast of this car would not hear of it. Once I was able to keep the car's momentum going and flowed around the turns, I had better results. Would like to see this run on a big commercial wood track, with wide, sweeping turns, long straights, throw in a high banked turn.

Borninthe50's, #51

Definitely a fun car to drive, and to look at as well. Lots of power, geared nicely for a medium to short track, good accelleration, very good brakes. I believe this was the lightest weighing car in the group. It had a tendency to want to tip a bit, several turns were taken on two wheels. I guess the girl in the driver's seat weighed a bit more than her passenger, as she usually landed back on all 4 wheels. Excellent grip, got the power down nicely to the track surface.

JBriggsK9, #30

I found this to be the smoothest overall to drive of the fleet. It also was the heaviest, which may have contributed to it's handling. Hard pressed to find any constructive criticism here, only it may have benefitted from a couple of grams less weight, as it was not quite as nimble as the top finishing car...yet still a joy to drive. This car was the best at recovering from going too deep in the curves, made me want to push it more and more...yet still no deslots, either at 12v or 10v. Nice, rich blue paint job, driver detailed nicely as well.

Mether05, #15

Excellent balance of speed and handling. Car felt firmly planted in the curves, didn't drag anyplace, had occasional, predictable sliding. Accelleration, braking...not much more I could ask for from this car. At 12v, I was guilty of pushing the car to get a sub-7 second lap time, and it resulted in a couple of offs. Yet the car still finished with best lap time, and most laps. At 10v, there were no offs, and the car still had best lap time (only car under 7 seconds) and most laps. I want one...maybe two.

Again, thanks to all of you for entrusting me with your cars. I've got a couple of Cheetahs but they're set up to run with NC1/NC8 class cars. I'll get another one to hopefully run in the 2012 Proxy, now that I've got the inspiration from all of your cars.

Cars shipped out today to the next destination in NY, recipient has been contacted.
    Last edited by NJSLOT1_32; 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM. Reason: Typos

Leave a comment:

• NJSLOT1_32
    replied
    Concours Winner, CIP Round 2

I was asked to judge a Concours winner for round 2.

I give Munter's #9 red car the nod, just edging out JBriggsK9's blue #30 car. For me the deciding factor was the hood detail. Both cars had a very nice paint finish. Lou E's green/black #26 gets honorable mention, nice job.

Leave a comment:

• NJSLOT1_32
    replied
    Just before packing them for the next destination, I "unofficially re-ran" the cars, this time at 10v instead of 12v. Yes, I realize only the first run counted, but I was curious as to how the performance would differ, and would the results change. So this was just for fun.

As expected, the cars were easier to drive, and I had less offs for each car. Each car had more laps at 10v than 12v, and all except one had a better best lap time at 10v than 12v. Here's some comparisons:

At 12 Volts:

Owner / Car #.......LAPS......BEST LAP....OFFS
    1. Mether05 #15......79.24.....7.180........4
    2. JBriggsK9 #30.....79.12.....7.451........0
    3. Borninthe50's #51.76.00.....7.240........4
    4. Big Jack #68......72.70.....7.681........4
    5. Rixvette # 5......70.45.....8.041........2
    6. Munter # 9........70.18.....7.741........3
    7. Lou E #26.........61.50.... 8.973........2

At 10 Volts: NOTE - 10v RUN WAS JUST FOR FUN, IT DOES NOT COUNT IN THE OFFICIAL RESULTS!!!

Owner / Car #........LAPS.....BEST LAP....OFFS
    1. Mether05 #15......83.65.....6.990........0
    2. Borninthe50's #51.80.49.....7.220........1
    3. JBriggsK9 #30.....79.31.....7.411........0
    4. Munter # 9........74.40.....7.711........1
    5. Big Jack #68......73.60.....7.671........3
    6. Rixvette # 5......71.15.....8.212........1
    7. Lou E #26.........64.59.... 8.852........3

Just before packing them up, I took some video of the cars individually running a couple laps at 10v:

[youtube]2hdNkEnKY88[/youtube]
    Last edited by NJSLOT1_32; 03-09-2011, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Big Jack
    replied
    Firefox

I too saw the video OK on Firefox. Must be browser issues
    Anyhoooo, thanks for the video's

Big Jack

Leave a comment:

• Lou E
    replied
    Strange, I didn't have any issues watching the video yesterday. I'm also using firefox, if that makes a difference...

Leave a comment:

• NJSLOT1_32
    replied
    (re-posted) 2011 Cheetah Invitational Proxy - Plainfield NJ

(re-posting from 3/7/11 due to issue that caused that thread to be locked)

Was a pleasure hosting a round in this series. Great cars, thoroughly enjoyed running them. Inspired me to enter next year.

To warm up, I gave each car 25 laps or so each. During that time I adjusted my controller settings to get what I felt was the most out of each car, and recorded it for use in the race. Instead of qualifying to determine order of running, I just ran the cars in car number order.

I ran my usual 12v, but see that some of these cars could've probably done better if I cranked it down to 10v. Each car ran a 10 minute heat on my inside gutter yellow lane.

Anyway, on to the results.

Owner/Car#........LAPS.....BEST LAP DESLOTS

Mether05 #15......79.24.....7.180........4
    JBriggsK9 #30.....79.12.....7.451........0
    Borninthe50's #51.76.00.....7.240........4
    Big Jack #68......72.70.....7.681........4
    Rixvette # 5......70.45.....8.041........2
    Munter # 9........70.18.....7.741........3
    Lou E #26.........61.50.... 8.973........2

For comparison purposes, here's what some other car classes have run on my track:

SCX Pro Porsche (w/RX-42B motor).................7.33
    Slot.IT Group C (org. endbell, sw)...............7.16
    NSR Mosler (Shark 22 motor, sw)..................6.87
    NSR Ford P68 (Shark 20 motor, sw)................6.85
    Racer Sideways Dallara (Slot.IT org. endbell sw).6.77
    Sloter Zytek (Fly Scorpion motor, inline)........6.67

Thanks for the opportunity to host.

Cars will be on to the next destination shortly. Here's a video of the cars running at 5v, just for fun:

[youtube]TJDJs-KpYR0[/youtube]
    Last edited by NJSLOT1_32; 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM. Reason: Added other car class lap times for comparison

Leave a comment:

Working...
X