2011 Cheetah Invitational Proxy Round 10 Red Mtn. Raceway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Cheetah Invitational Proxy Round 10 Red Mtn. Raceway

The "cats" have arrived in the desert. I trust everyone has put topped off their radiators as it's 106 right now. Glad I insulated the garage & put in A/C this spring.

Will try to get this round completed this weekend. If not, I'll finish by next Wed. for sure. Now to unpack "the little critters".

Big Jack

Have a good time with 'em!!

Comment

Cats like heat

Comment

Maybe a nice hot track is what my car needs to find some grip!

Comment

Qualifying is complete

Just want to say the cars were in great condition. After I unpacked them I checked the cats to make sure their were no loose parts, binding axles, etc. Then I thought it might be nice to take them for a short spin. Well that went really great so....... I decided to qualify the little critters

Temp outside 109 F inside 86 F not too bad. voltage set @ 11 volts, difalco controller tires cleaned with Windex........here ya go...........

1. borninthe50s 5.053 Very smooth, good brakes, no problems
          2. Munter 5.111 Quiet, smooth, no problems
          3. Big Jack 5.112 Likes "home cooking" but control is on the edge
          4. Mether 5.169 Nice driver,for the most part, slightly "twitchy" lacks brakes
          5. Lou-e 5.336 Smooth but.......has a tendency to deslot without any warning
          6. Chris 5.339 Very nice and smooth, if only it had a "little " more motor. May race better then "Q"
          7. Rich 5.679 Quiet but......chatters going into all the corners ?? Lacks brakes

Nice job Glen & John in the "Q" stage.

Concours is going to be real hard.....I'll have that result on Saturday

Well gentleman, there you have it. The next time I see them, its going to be for real.

Big Jack

Comment

Thanks! Can't wait to see what happens in the race. I'd say have fun, but it sounds like you already are... 50s

Comment

Oh Yeah

I'm having fun.......... The cars tend to race better then they qualify, probably because I'll get to "know" them a little better. I think a sub 5 sec lap for a couple of the cars is very possible.

Jack

Comment

Thanks Big Jack....you havent confused the munter and mether cars have you?
                "No problems" doesnt sound like my car !!

Comment

Hot Cats in the summer time!!

Comment

Wow, half a second doesn't seem like much until you tally it like that. Looks like it will be a new chassis next year. I fixed the roadster so that will be it if the rules don't change.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jack View Post
                      Well that went really great so....... I decided to qualify the little critters
                      WOW, those qualifying times are certainly interesting, can't wait to see what happens during the race!

Comment

Sunday

Oh boy, I kinda forgot today is Fathers Day.. Duh But I went ahead with Concours. Now this was real tough. All the cars looked great, especially since no factory paint jobs on hand. Just what the drivers could think up and paint. After much debate........Lou-e was chosen as concours winner at RMR. Like I said, all the cars looked great. You all are to be congratulated for the workmanship on your car.

I then had an hour or two to kill before the family got together for Fathers Day so I decided to run the cars for a final 10 lap shakedown prior to Wednesday when I'll run the race. Good thing I did First car up was the# 5 car. Would not stop when it did run or, run without sputtering. Almost felt like like the controller was on the fritz. But after removing the body... one lead wire (into the guide) was almost out. Well I decided to fix this as it just required removing then re-setting the lead back into the guide. A no brainer.......still running a little erratic so, I decided to clean the braids with Vodoo juice. Now the # 5 has great brakes and runs smoothly. Ran all the other cars with no problems until I at last came to mine. Ran about two laps and it just stopped with that weird sound when then gears disengage. I'm sure you all know "that " sound. Ok, took off the body and looked at the rear end. Not the gears (yes they were not meshing) but found a partially busted off tab, the one the the axle bushings fit into. S**t Well there was enough of it left that the bushing would still "snap into" it but I knew that would only last for a couple more laps before it would pop out again. So I decided to CA glue it back in place, then add some epoxy to hopefully keep it in place, so I can continue with the proxy. If you racers have a problem with these "fixes" please let me know. I don't want to cause any hard feelings about these repairs. and will pull my car if you do have a problem.
                        So as of now, the race will take place Wed. AM

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads

Big Jack

Comment

Thanks for fixing my guide Jack.

Comment

No problem on guide/wire repair. Just wanted to make sure I didn't do something I should not have done. Some proxys are quite rigid on any repairs but I don't recall the CIP giving out any penalty for repairs, at least before the race has begun.

Big Jack

Comment

Generally, minor stuff like that is done without penalty. That is what the tech inspection is for.

Comment

Working...
                              X