• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k0z0oo1
    started a topic 2018 season questions

2018 season questions

Hello all,

We currently have 9 ovals for the 2018 schedule. We have 19 cars for the COY class and 18 cars for the COT class.

I have a few questions, and would appreciate some feedback from everyone.

Question for Entrants

To extend the schedule, the idea of adding up to two road course races was proposed. Some series background, there has been up to three road races in a season for the first 3 years or so. What is your opinion of adding two road races? We need to have a firm decision on this soon so everyone can finish building their cars.

Question for race hosts

Our car count has grown once again, and we are nearing 40 total cars. Early seasons races were set up in a qualifier/main format. Later seasons all cars competed in the race. Should each class be limited to 20 cars each, or should have a qualifying session for every race and only allow the top 15 or 20 in the main? If the latter, the cars that did not qualify would be given points from qualifying position.

I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Thank you,
    Scott
    Director, DaVols Forums Cup Proxy

• arroldn
    replied
    I think I could handle 1 or 2 more road-courses. Would completely change my strategy however. Now to talk to my chief chassis engineer.

Leave a comment:

• GTOking
    replied
    I am fine with additional road courses.

Leave a comment:

• k0z0oo1
    replied
    Another question everyone

We have 9 oval races on the schedule. With the decision to add road racing this year there has been more hosting interest for road courses. The top 3 NASCAR series (Monster Energy Cup, Xfinity, and Camping World Trucks) and the K&N Pro East/West series run no more than 3 road races a season per division. How many road course races should we run?

Here's my take...
    We have a very strong builder group and we are pushing 40 cars! I would like to see more races overall, weather that be on ovals or road courses. It seems to be difficult to find willing hosts with oval tracks, but road courses are overly plentiful. I think no more than 1/3 of the schedule on road courses would be ok... that would be 4-5 road races.

Leave a comment:

• arroldn
    replied
    I use 1403GZ zero grip on the front and 1404RY on the rear. Mounted on. 15x8 SCC or CBD. Currently not at home will check tonight. The rules state the tires must come from the 1400 Series of tires. The ones I have have straight sidewalls. May order Radius on the next order. The 1405 would be the tallest recommended tire you could run on the 15x8 wheel but you loose a little in width.

1400R-C
    Silicone
    (Radius on one side)

1401R-C
    Silicone
    (Radius on one side)

1402R-C
    Silicone
    (Radius on one side)

0.748″ 19.00mm 0.340″ 8.64mm

1403R-C
    Silicone
    (Radius on one side)
    0.777″ 19.74mm 0.350″ 8.89mm

1404R 0.805″ 20.45mm 0.352″ 8.94mm

1405R 0.824″ 20.93mm 0.350″ 8.89mm

Last edited by arroldn; 03-10-2018, 06:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    If you want to get the right answers you have to ask the right questions. What wheels are you using and what OD tire do you want? Sometimes a particular tire will fit your wheels, even if they were actually designed for another wheel. If you put the tire on a different wheel the mounted diameter might not be correct. If a particular dealer does not have the correct tire in stock it is OK to look elsewhere. If you want to use Super Tires you can contact them directly.

Leave a comment:

• k0z0oo1
    replied
    Originally posted by GAS41T View Post
    Hey guys
    I just got my parts from scc....It seems Iím not sure on tyres I ordered
    1400RY as that was the only available tyre but itís to small itís the first time Iíll be using
    Supertyres....so Iím stuck with no tyres can someone help me sort this problem if possible....

Rossko
    Check your PMs

Leave a comment:

• GAS41T
    replied
    Hey guys
    I just got my parts from scc....It seems Iím not sure on tyres I ordered
    1400RY as that was the only available tyre but itís to small itís the first time Iíll be using
    Supertyres....so Iím stuck with no tyres can someone help me sort this problem if possible....

Rossko

Leave a comment:

• REL13
    replied
    Rel13

Ivoryton Raceway will be running at 10 volts also. REL13

Leave a comment:

• k0z0oo1
    replied
    No-Way... Speedway and Daleville Speedway will be run at 10vdc

Leave a comment:

• GTOking
    replied
    Good point

IRB Speedway will run at 10 volts on both the oval and roval. Full disclosure, the roval has yet to be braided so not a single lap has been run on that part of the track. I also plan to run the roval clockwise if the installation of my reversible lane switches works out. Nothing like hosting proxy races to force me to finally finish my track! The oval is fully functional but has not been used since the season finale last season. I better get to building cars and testing!

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    When you are tuning a car you have to know what the track voltage will be. The main things that would be affected would be your choice of motors and gear ratios. It would be nice if the track owners said what the voltage would be. If a track is using set type power supplies the owner might not know what the voltage is when cars are running, it would be a good thing to measure that.
    Shoreline Model Raceways tracks are normally run at 10 volts.

Leave a comment:

• k0z0oo1
    replied
    Originally posted by arroldn View Post
    One thing I might do this year is lower the voltage currently set at 12 volts. I run my leg of the series alone. Now last year my sister was in town and she marshalled for me. Read in some thread in a post somewhere that as a host this person felt 10-11 was enough for the 21K motors. I normally start a car over if it deslotted to get the best possible time for the owner. Sometimes that made for a long day if the car was hard to handle. Once I get the track repainted and do some testing I'll make a determination.
    I helped set up Daleville Speedway this past week, putting in the timing and scoring system. The track was set at 12v and the cars were drivable, but right on the edge. We set the power supply down to 10v and it made a huge difference. The cars were extremely well behaved and consistent. It was still possible to crash off, but they were much smoother!

Intimately it is up to the hosts to decide what voltage they want to run on, and every track is different... but I think adjusting the voltage is a very useful tool

Leave a comment:

• arroldn
    replied
    One thing I might do this year is lower the voltage currently set at 12 volts. I run my leg of the series alone. Now last year my sister was in town and she marshalled for me. Read in some thread in a post somewhere that as a host this person felt 10-11 was enough for the 21K motors. I normally start a car over if it deslotted to get the best possible time for the owner. Sometimes that made for a long day if the car was hard to handle. Once I get the track repainted and do some testing I'll make a determination.

Leave a comment:

• GTOking
    replied
    Originally posted by maddick1943 View Post
    Scott

Just my 2cents I'm ok! with a road course as I tune on one (I have no oval) if you should decide with going down under for one, I would be MORE the willing to kick extra funds to ship cars there

As far as using a Qual to run in the finals IMO not a good idea......I don't want to spend a ton of effort and time to only watch someone else car race and not be apart of the actual race

Ya Ya I know build better cars LOL I'm worried about that as an actual Champ in two COY seasons...........just voicing my opinion "for what its worth" for the rest of the group.

Dick
    Well, champ, let's see what you bring to the track this season LOL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X