Round 4 - Shoreliners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 4 - Shoreliners

Smokeio and his fine fellow club mates now have the cars in their grubby little hands.

Good Luck to all, round 4 is upon us.

Chris

Hey Smoke. Can you check the guide flag on my car #52. I want to make sure that the guide post or guide support did not break in the last event. Car had an unusual amount of deslots. Thanks.

I've snapped a guide support on Racer Sideways cars before. Car would still run, but kept de-slotting. I now re-inforce all of the guide supports with epoxy, but something may have snapped. TIA.

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to Wayne’s World, a premier slot car venue. Wayne’s World has been the site of hundreds of proxy races since 2005. Shoreline Models Raceways has hosted THOUSANDS of proxy races since the invention of the slot and DC power.

First let’s talk a little history. Wayne’s World started life as a Scalextric Sport track. Many, many races were held here. From proxy events, regional races, weekly club races, magnet and non-magnet, this track became the Mecca for slot car events. Time, temperatures changes, and age were not kind to the plastic and soon everyone who raced here complained about the surface. The smooth plastic track had become…. LUMPY. Racing on this surface was a teeth chattering experience. The track was temporarily renamed LUMPVILLE. After years of debate, the plastic was ripped out and a new MDF layout created.

The New Wayne’s World: This is no run of the mill MDF track. A great deal of thought was put into every aspect of this track. Notice there are no 90 degree turns. How about the long bending straights? Check out the large 180 at the end of the front straight. Look very closely as the tight S turn. These all put a premium on handling and a well sorted car! Throw away those big motors as they’re useless here. A good chassis setup with properly trued tires and a car motor combo with good/smooth brakes is what’s going to get you around this track. The track surface is latex that has been wet sanded smooth as a baby’s bottom which maximizes traction. There’s no loss in this track as power to the cars if fed by braid that is slightly recessed. Voltage is set to 10 and maintained by a 20 AMP regulated supply.

The only track irregularity? We call it the Dick Hump. When building the track, we called upon Quick Dick McMannix to help with building the raised section of the track. Every effort was taken to make every track joint as smooth as possible but the beginning of the S turn is flat and the ramp up where it joins the S turn is ever so slightly angled. It’s not a hump but some cars need to be driven gingerly into this turn while others can really hammer in there. Hence when a car falls off there, it’s the result of the Dick Hump.

Shoreline Model Races primarily races on silicone tires but we’re sparing no expense for this event. Though we’ve held successful rubber tire events here before (see the old Can Am races), we’re not resting on the track’s good looks and laurels for this event. With the utilization of the track cleaning car, the surface will be transformed into a rubber surface demon. Utilizing NSR Ultra Grip tires that have been soaked in the super-secret tire softening/melting compound, we plan on running thousands of laps in each lane to get the surface where your tires will scream for shorter heats. There’ll be so much bite when we’re finished we just may break the feet per second record for 1/32 scale cars. This will be the fastest proxy when we are finished.

Let’s talk a little about who’s driving your cars. Though we may no longer post regularly on this form, Shoreline Model Raceways is still active having hundreds of years of slot car experience. I’ll bet we have more regional, proxy, and endurance wins than any other club on the planet! Don’t forget, we’ve got Rich D and HE INVENTED THE SLOT CAR. Rest assured, your cars are in the most capable hands and we’ll drive your car better than Ronald McDonald eats his cheeseburger at lunch.

The race format: I’m still waiting to confirm the schedule but WPSOKO will handle the driving duties for qualifying and feedback. I’m going to attempt to do something live for qualifying but Wayne still has dialup for his ISP so we may have an issue. Racing will be all four lanes, 2 minutes a heat. We’ll race with track calls so no one will lose much on an off. Tires will be cleaned before each heat using a MONGO pad and all car roofs will be sprayed with the top secret handling spray STAYONTRACK/THISSIDEUP. We’ll keep the same drivers in each lane except for F1Fan’s car where I’m going to have a dead chicken race his car.

Stay tuned for more racing details and gobs of slot car fun.

Best Ragrds,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Coquitlam Kid View Post
        Hey Smoke. Can you check the guide flag on my car #52. I want to make sure that the guide post or guide support did not break in the last event. Car had an unusual amount of deslots. Thanks.

I've snapped a guide support on Racer Sideways cars before. Car would still run, but kept de-slotting. I now re-inforce all of the guide supports with epoxy, but something may have snapped. TIA.
        I took a close look and ran a few laps. The car looks good. I do not see a reason why it would deslot.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeio View Post
          I took a close look and ran a few laps. The car looks good. I do not see a reason why it would deslot.
          OK Thanks.

Comment

Here is another view of Wayne's World.

I have only been racing slot cars for 57 years. We will schedule the race as soon as possible, perhaps next week on the 17th.

Comment

Ooooo' I can feel the excitement in the air, what an honour to be racing at this iconic proxy venue with the fine Shoreliner folks....and Smokeio!

A few years ago when the CanAm proxy series was in it's prime, this was a regular stop on the tour and it always delivered great racing and a few surprises.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the updates and preparing the venue, I am confident that it will be a great event. It is also great to finally see one of Smokeio's fine proxy cars without the body, I am especially impressed with the SW reduced geared chassis. Let's face it, the man is brilliant, altough the soldering looks a bit sloppy!

Good luck to all, now will anyone finish ahead of car #5? Last year we had a rookie entrant win, there is no way it can happen again....

Good Luck to most of YOU! Let's RACE!

Chris

PS: I am looking forward to tons of support for this event, and many great / supporting posts on the forum!
              Last edited by F1Fan; 01-10-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Can't wait for this event to get started!!

Interesting seeing all the big Black rubber marks on the Track. I thought that Silicone Tires didn't leave marks on the track?

Comment

Originally posted by Coquitlam Kid View Post
                  Can't wait for this event to get started!!

Interesting seeing all the big Black rubber marks on the Track. I thought that Silicone Tires didn't leave marks on the track?
                  This track is so fast, ANY tire will leave a mark.

I’m really looking forward to this event and hoping to set the bar for a fast proxy race. I got Lumpy off the throne and he’s thinking Saturday morning for qualifying. Stay tuned and I’ll attempt a live feed. Can’t promise the quality but I’ll do my best.

Racing will be held Wednesday night. Good luck to all and may the slowest racer have the most fun!

Comment

Upon closer inspection?

Is it possible to take a good look at my car, going from a round 1 qualifying in 3rd place behind Camber and Smokio, to finishing dead last in round 3 heats. Are the body screws falling out, has a lead weight come loose, is the spur gear spinning freely? Something has to be wrong, I double checked all the m2 screws before shipping it out, put a bit of glue in the body mount screws, what could be wrong???
                    Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Leadfoot46 View Post
                      Is it possible to take a good look at my car, going from a round 1 qualifying in 3rd place behind Camber and Smokio, to finishing dead last in round 3 heats. Are the body screws falling out, has a lead weight come loose, is the spur gear spinning freely? Something has to be wrong, I double checked all the m2 screws before shipping it out, put a bit of glue in the body mount screws, what could be wrong???
                      Leo
                      I’d be happy to. I’ll run a few laps with it tonight.

Comment

It does not take much to upset the handling of some cars. A few months ago a Carrera car that I had running very well went off in a big way. After the race I discovered that a single body screw had loosened up. Now if I find that a screw turns too easily I put a little contact cement on it before I tighten it down.
                        I suspect that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away that during the course of a proxy series some person who had no malicious intent removed the body from a winning car to see what made it tick. After the body was replaced the car was not nearly as fast however. Sometimes in the course of doing a repair a helpful person might inadvertently change a critical setting. That could even happen if the car's owner was doing the repair.

Anyway we hope to get the cars qualified this weekend. I expect that Smokeio will make the trek to Wayne's place to lend a hand.

Comment

Tire Marks

With respect to the tire marks on the Wayne's World track, silicone tires do indeed leave a deposit on the track. Since the tires last a very long time I would not expect that there would be a significant amount of dust. There seems to be many misconceptions concerning the various types of tires, you would expect that a person that has raced extensively for 25 years or more would be aware of the differences.
                          If you have ever trued silicone tires you will know that they leave a sticky material on the sanding medium and the same stuff gradually coats the track. My HO track is made of light gray Sintra and it gets tracks from silicone tires. If I have to test urethane tires on my track I first wipe the track down with lighter fluid to remove the marks, then run a few hundred laps with urethane tires to get the surface fully conditioned.
                          Wayne's World will be carefully conditioned for rubber tires before the race, no silicone or urethane tires will be run on the track until the proxy racing is finished.

Comment

Good point Rich.

Best slot car advice I ever got was:

"If it runs good, leave it alone".

I should practice this more often.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                              It does not take much to upset the handling of some cars. A few months ago a Carrera car that I had running very well went off in a big way. After the race I discovered that a single body screw had loosened up. Now if I find that a screw turns too easily I put a little contact cement on it before I tighten it down.
                              I suspect that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away that during the course of a proxy series some person who had no malicious intent removed the body from a winning car to see what made it tick. After the body was replaced the car was not nearly as fast however. Sometimes in the course of doing a repair a helpful person might inadvertently change a critical setting. That could even happen if the car's owner was doing the repair.

Anyway we hope to get the cars qualified this weekend. I expect that Smokeio will make the trek to Wayne's place to lend a hand.
                              Great to see the banner and read the posts, thanks for helping to build the exitement!

I can confirm that no bodies from any car was removed for round 0 and/or round 1, unless I mentioned it here in the forum. From memory I believe it was car 13 and 58 that needed repair when they arrived. Then out of habit I always remove the body from car #70, just to check what model fargal pin Smoke is using...

We also do ask that host's post in the forum if there is a need to remove a body and/or perform repair.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X