2019 Group 5 Proxy Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Group 5 Proxy Build Thread

I know some of you are deep underground in your high security labs building or rebuilding your Group 5 car for next season. Post your top secret pics.
    Last edited by Brumos RSR; 06-16-2018, 07:12 AM.

Nothing happening in my laboratory yet.

Steve

Comment

I have been busy with a white kit

The base Iíve started with is a 29k slotit motor
      11/36 gearing sitting in a 0.75 sidewinder

Rossko

Comment

Originally posted by GAS41T View Post
        I have been busy with a white kit

The base Iíve started with is a 29k slotit motor
        11/36 gearing sitting in a 0.75 sidewinder

Rossko
        If it goes as fast as it looks, it will be a winner!

Comment

So that's what I'm doing wrong........

OK, next time I'll clean it.

Comment

About time I pulled my finger out and started building...

The standard Plafit 3300 chassis at the top and the optional Plafit parts I'm using in the build. Carbon guide holder, brass flat body mounts and mount spacers to replace the 90 degree body mounts that come standard and a 1.5mm thick +10mm long main chassis plate. This will provide more weight down low and hopefully make the car easier to drive. Also 4 off roller bearings on the axles.

Every nut and bolt removed ready to blueprint the mating parts.

Using and engineers rule I make sure every one of these parts are dead flat and sanded on a ground plate (or glass). Time consuming but really important step to get the most from these chassis.

I'm setting the "H" plate up first using 4 off 1.6mm spacers under the nuts, this must float freely. This is the part the body is attached to.

Fitting the front "T" plate which is sprung and carbon guide holder. I'm using 2 off soft springs and 4.5mm spacers. Again this must move nice and smooth with no binding.

That's about it for tonight, off to bed.
            Last edited by camber; 09-25-2018, 06:43 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have a funny feeling there will be more than 1 of these in the proxy this year. I know of at least one person who has several botched attempts at getting this chassis to run properly. Hopefully with some insight from this thread and Sir Camber, I.... I mean this person can get in the top 10 again.

Comment

Originally posted by camber View Post
                About time I pulled my finger out and started building...

The standard Plafit 3300 chassis at the top and the optional Plafit parts I'm using in the build. Carbon guide holder, brass flat body mounts and mount spacers to replace the 90 degree body mounts that come standard and a 1.5mm thick +10mm long main chassis plate. This will provide more weight down low and hopefully make the car easier to drive. Also 4 off roller bearings on the axles.

Every nut and bolt removed ready to blueprint the mating parts.

Using and engineers rule I make sure every one of these parts are dead flat and sanded on a ground plate (or glass). Time consuming but really important step to get the most from these chassis.

I'm setting the "H" plate up first using 4 off 1.6mm spacers under the nuts, this must float freely. This is the part the body is attached to.

Fitting the front "T" plate which is sprung and carbon guide holder. I'm using 2 off soft springs and 4.5mm spacers. Again this must move nice and smooth with no binding.

That's about it for tonight, off to bed.
                Looks fantastic, I am confident it will be another fast car....time will tell if it is fast enough!

Originally posted by Brumos RSR View Post
                I have a funny feeling there will be more than 1 of these in the proxy this year. I know of at least one person who has several botched attempts at getting this chassis to run properly. Hopefully with some insight from this thread and Sir Camber, I.... I mean this person can get in the top 10 again.
                "At least one other person"....the suspense, the drama....can't wait for the fastest proxy cars in the world to commence battle.

I am hard at work....building a new track, prepping a proxy car......mmmmmph, not sure when, or if I will get to that. Maybe I will have to send the 320 back for another round....

Good luck to all, please keep an eye on the deadline and don't be late. Cars have to be delivered by the due date, no exceptions - if you are planning on sending your entry by courier to my address in Chilliwack you will need my street address, please PM me for those details. If you are sending the car to the Sumas WA address, you will need to pay an extra $5 for your entry.

Good luck to all, the suspense is mounting

Chris

Comment

Hi Camber, is the main chassis hardened steel?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
                    Hi Camber, is the main chassis hardened steel?
                    It's painted brass

Comment

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, PLEASE check your car against the rules, PLEASE ensure that it is legal and ready to race.

I absolutely dislike applying penalty points, but to be fair to those that went to the effort to ensure compliance, I will not hesitate to do so to an entry that is not ready to race.

If you need clarification and/or have any questions, please ask!

Thanks as always for your support, the tension is mounting....

PLEASE ALSO REMEMBER TO INCLUDE YOUR CAR SPECIFICATIONS (SEE POST #1 ON THE REGISTRATION THREAD) AND A READY TO USE RETURN ADDRESS LABEL

Chris

Comment

Rule update - Please Note!

I have noticed that NSR now has some red/orange tyres available, which prompted me to update the rules..ALL TYRES MUST BE BLACK RUBBER!

Comment

Body out of the paint booth.

Chassis is now rolling.

With the body mounts fitted, important to lock the "H" plate as shown with the 2 black screws. A loose "H" plate can cause big problems when mounting the body.

Time to get creative with body mounting sponge rubber as all bodies are different and you need to work out the best way to glue it on.

What is important is to have the body slide nicely with a tiny bit of resistance on the sponge rubber making sure the body is on the centreline of the chassis. This will probably take some time to get right but trust me it is worth the effort. Plafits hate having tight and stressed bodies mounted on them.

On a setup plate I pack the body using coins. Put the glue on the body not the sponge mounts and fit the body making sure everything lines up side to side and the wheelbase is centred.

Almost there...

Comment

Nearly time to post of my Bimmer so thought it about time to lift the covers off the beast.
                            I followed last years series with interest as my mate Cam had a car entered & with his success he talked me into entering this year.
                            We are using basically the same chassis with just a few personal preferences in the build.
                            The chassis is an Aust Plafit Championship 1/32nd Modern GT,only had a few things to change,swapped the Plafit Fox 4 motor for a SRP 30 K & parked the Plafit foam tyres for NSR super grips,job done.
                            Here's some pics
                            image posting
                            Cheers Jimmy

Comment

Nice buildís there guys !!!
                              They will be HARD TO BEAT !!!

Rossko

Comment

Working...
                              X