Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group 5 Proxy - 2019 Race Schedule - Round 1

Hello Fellow Group 5 racers

I have received confirmation from the track host's and I can confirm the schedule, nothing has really changed, other than there is slight possibility that we will have one more race in the USA rather than the 2 in Kelowna that is on the current schedule:

1) Vancouver (Superslab) - late November
    2) Tacoma (Prefessor) - December
    3) Audi1 - Early January
    4) Smokeio - Late January/early February
    5) Ferrari1950 - February
    6) Giddyup - Late Feb
    7) Raderek - March
    8 & 9) Kelowna x2 - March/April
    10) F1Fan - April/May

It has been rather quiet on this forum, I assume the challenges with posting have contributed to this.

I am delivering the cars to "Superfast" tomorrow and Round 1 is scheduled for this weekend at Luf's famous Burnaby Targa.

Since there is no WiFi coverage at his track, there will be no live streaming, but no doubt you can expect all the details you need from Alwyn's report(s).

Unfortunately we will also say goodbye to one car after this event and the other 24 cars will travel onward to the 9 remaining tracks!

Good Luck to ALL - well at least to those that need it!

Happy Thanksgiving to our USA friends and entrants

Chris

Comment

The cars were delivered to Alwyn today and the race is scheduled for this Sunday!!

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Thanks Alwyn. Another season underway!! Looking forward to you very fast and very steady Vancouver drivers driving our cars!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by F1Fan View Post
            It has been rather quiet on this forum, I assume the challenges with posting have contributed to this.

I am delivering the cars to "Superfast" tomorrow and Round 1 is scheduled for this weekend at Luf's famous Burnaby Targa.

Since there is no WiFi coverage at his track, there will be no live streaming, but no doubt you can expect all the details you need from Alwyn's report(s).

( Snip )

Chris
            If anyone there as a Smartphone with an unlimited Data Plan, you could use the Smart Phone as an Internet Hot Spot ( Internet Tethering ) . Works slick. But you must have an unlimited Data Plan or $$$$$ . FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by cgyracer View Post
              Thanks Alwyn. Another season underway!! Looking forward to you very fast and very steady Vancouver drivers driving our cars!

Rob
              Thanks Rob. I must say the crew is a bit "proxied out" at the moment: this will be the second proxy on consecutive weekends, the third since October 14 and the fourth since August 30.

But this one is always special to us. Maybe in part due to the local "management" by a group member but really because of the incredibly high standard. The cars are ALWAYS phenomenal. Basically ALL the cars. Unlike most proxies where there is normally a rather big gap between the faster ans slower cars, this one stands out due to the fact that even the tail enders are quicker than almost all our own cars out here! Rather sobering...

We will do our absolute best with the cars and report back ASAP.

Cheers

Alwyn

Comment

Originally posted by Coquitlam Kid View Post
                If anyone there as a Smartphone with an unlimited Data Plan, you could use the Smart Phone as an Internet Hot Spot ( Internet Tethering ) . Works slick. But you must have an unlimited Data Plan or $$$$$ . FWIW.
                Indeed. I did consider tethering my laptop to my phone or iPad but I just do not have that amount of data available for 4 hours of streaming video.

Cheers

Alwyn

Comment

Facebook Live

FYI

I did some research into Facebook Live streaming (easy to do, just press a button), for the typical quality stream for 24hrs fis around 2.4 Gb. For the math for a 4hr broadcast, the data usage / hit isnít all that bad.

For context, for the Tourist Trophy, I streamed 8 hours for less than a 1 Gb...I know that because I stayed under my monthly data limit which was/is 1 Gb.

Comment

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
                    FYI

I did some research into Facebook Live streaming (easy to do, just press a button), for the typical quality stream for 24hrs fis around 2.4 Gb. For the math for a 4hr broadcast, the data usage / hit isnít all that bad.

For context, for the Tourist Trophy, I streamed 8 hours for less than a 1 Gb...I know that because I stayed under my monthly data limit which was/is 1 Gb.

Hhmm, might have to reconsider....

Comment

A quick note to once again thank Alwyn and each and every host that makes this and the many other proxy events possible, without your efforts, we would only be a bunch of slot car nerds, with no place to race!

Good Luck to All tomorrow, I will stick my neck out and make a prediction, so here goes nothing...

1) Camber
                      2) Smokeio
                      3) Aloha

Most improved - Aloha

Amost there - F1Fan, CGYRacer, Superslab, Jimmyslots

Chris

Comment

Almost Forgot!

A special shout out to one of our own - Leadfoot46 who recently won his first proxy (touring car) event. I think Leo got his proxy racing start here with us on the Group 5 proxy.

There is nothing like your first time, congratulations!

Chris

Comment

The $64,000 question!

WILL WE SEE THE FIRST SUB 6 SECOND LAP????

The current fastest lap on the track is with my last-year's incarnation Capri @ 6.033 seconds. This year, after some "improvements" (yeah, right....) I could only manage a 6.076 second lap.

We did not run the Gp 5 proxy on Luf's latest Targa track last year (ran it on Roger's Maple Ridge track). So we have not had a really fast proxy on the new track yet. We did run the HRW CanAm proxy here a couple months ago but the quickest of those cars were only in the mid 6.2 second range.

So: will we finally get a 5 second lap????

Comment

Alwyn
                            We appreciate you and the group for your time to make this happy. I wish all of the participants good luck. Most of all I hope you all have fun with cars and we will all be thrilled to get this party started.
                            Aloha
                            Dale

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSlab View Post
                              WILL WE SEE THE FIRST SUB 6 SECOND LAP????

The current fastest lap on the track is with my last-year's incarnation Capri @ 6.033 seconds. This year, after some "improvements" (yeah, right....) I could only manage a 6.076 second lap.

We did not run the Gp 5 proxy on Luf's latest Targa track last year (ran it on Roger's Maple Ridge track). So we have not had a really fast proxy on the new track yet. We did run the HRW CanAm proxy here a couple months ago but the quickest of those cars were only in the mid 6.2 second range.

So: will we finally get a 5 second lap????
                              The $64,000 question has been answered. And the answer is a resounding YES! Not one, not two, but FOUR cars actually recorded sub 6 second laps.

And boy oh boy, did that ever cause consternation!!!!

Background: our club uses custom software created by one of our members to manage our bracket racing. Luf was the first one to get the software and he still has the original version. And as is the wont with software, things have been improved in the interim. And today we ran headlong into one of the limitations of the older software: the minimum lap was set up as 6 seconds and that value was hard coded! Hooboy!

As I was running the qualification I finally got to Rob's (CGYRacer's) BMW 320. And promptly missed registering laps. One missed lap: OK that happens. Two consecutive laps? Now that's odd. Three? Houston, we have a problem! As Ian Fleming wrote in the Bond novel Goldfinger: ""Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

So I called the writer of the program and asked: did you code a minimum lap time of 6 seconds in Luf's software? And verily and forsooth: a minimum lap time of 6 seconds WAS indeed coded in his software. And there is no way to externally change that value and the programming software is not on Luf's computer, so i could not make the required changes with direction from the original coder!

Consternation!

We ended up with 4 cars falling into the faster-than-6-seconds-qualification-time category: CGYRacer, Aloha, Smokeio and Camber. And while we knew they all got laps faster than 6 seconds, we did not know HOW MUCH faster! On top of that the system did not count those laps.

Now what?

SO, we decided to turn down the voltage from 11.5V to 10.5 (still within the rules) and run the cars in the race heats. Hoping that this might slow down the cars enough to prevent the cars from turning laps under 6 seconds. But we were worried: I suspect we have all experienced on occasion turning down the voltage... and getting FASTER laps! But hey: we had time to run 21 of the 25 cars to try and look for another solution.

Fortunately Roger (the software's "father") raced over from maple Ridge in time to change the coding. So we were able to run all the cars without having to be on the lookout for missed fast laps and manually record them! I also ran the too-fast cars after the racing was done to get the correct/appropriate qualifying time.

And so, without (even more!!) ado: the qualifying times:

Very quick bunch of cars. Even though we ran the qualification and the race on the same day, I think it is wrong to announce everything together. So keep ahold of your impatience: race results to follow tomorrow!

Alwyn

Comment

Working...
                              X