Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Steve, appreciate the details and clarification.

We look forward racing on your track, I will add your club to the list, please keep an eye on the forum. but more than likely you will become round 3 or 4

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris
      If you need more host tracks mine is available
      Lez

Comment

Originally posted by brightpuma View Post
        My name's Steve, and since Nate was having trouble posting pictures of our track, I'm going to post some, for him, and I'll try to answer some of your concerns, as well.

We are currently racing primarily on a 4-lane wood track, situated in Nate's garage, at his home in Santa Rosa, CA. It's a really fun track to race on, especially due to its downhill, curving, squeeze section, which is challenging, but flows nicely. Some photos:

As to the requirements...

1.) It is a wood track located in Santa Rosa, CA, which, as of this writing, is still part of the USA. :-)

Speaking on behalf of the club, for the rest...

2.) We agree to to allow EACH & ALL cars to be driven by participating drivers an EQUAL amount of time.

3.) Our track is used on a regular basis, and we only use rubber tires. Nate regularly lays additional rubber on the track, before each race. Therefore, we can assure that the track will be sufficiently "rubbered in", before any proxy racing begins.

4.) Being our most consistent driver, and having 24/7 access to the track, I'm sure that Nate will be the one who will qualify the cars.

5.) We always take photos, and post recaps of our races, and we gladly commit to complete documentation of the proxy race. In addition, we are seriously looking into live-streaming the race.
        (Since I'm the "tech guy", that'll be my responsibility" I don't see any reason why that can't happen. I'm open to suggestions on the best platform for live-steaming, but Facebook Live comes to mind...)

6.) We always run at 10 volts, and we have an adjustable power supply. We can run at whatever voltage is required, but 10 volts is preferred.

7.) We will commit to completing the race, and shipping the cars forward, within three weeks.

8.) We will certainly commit to ensuring that getting the most from each car is prioritized over the individual drivers' egos. :-)

I'm sure Nate will have stuff to add, but please feel free to ask us any additional questions that you might have, and we will do our best to answer them promptly.

Cheers,

Steve P.
        This track looks like great track

I'm curious if we would just use the two outside lanes to race on with half the track a long squeeze section so there would be continuous flow for each race car.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Lez View Post
          Hi Chris
          If you need more host tracks mine is available
          Lez
          Thanks Lez, you have a great track and the Kelowna boys are experts at hosting proxies, I think you would host a great round.

When I queried the entrants earlier this year the feedback was that we would prefer to have different cities and clubs host events. HOWEVER since we are still looking for more hosts to step forward, I would like to request that we but your kind offer on the "maybe" list.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cgyracer View Post
            This track looks like great track

I'm curious if we would just use the two outside lanes to race on with half the track a long squeeze section so there would be continuous flow for each race car.

Rob
            Thanks for posting Rob. I have had two similar comments send to me in a PM, a super busy week/weekend has delayed me in posting on the subject.

The objective of each race is to maximize the number of laps that each car can do. The car is the star and the driver the "tool" to get the most out of each car. This is different from regular racing where in most cases the the driver is the star and the car the "tool" to get the driver on the podium. In a proxy, only the car is featured on the podium, hence the importance in giving each car a fair and equal opportunity and each driver driving each car for the same amount of time.

Since cars that are good qualifiers (fast over one lap) sometimes race with cars that are easier to drive (slower but more consistent) cars, there needs to be a fair and good opportunity for cars to get past each other. With the extended squeeze sections on this track this raises a concen and makes the track less suitable for hosting a proxy.

HOWEVER, having said this, I also see other track sections leaning against the wall, so perhaps you have a modular track? Otherwise an option would be to race the cars in groups of two, as per Rob suggestion, this will however add time to running the event.

Please don't take these comments as criticism, it is best to discuss this now here in the open, rather than having concerns raised after the race. You have a great track, let's see if we can make it work based on the above, if not I am hopeful you will understand.

Thanks again for stepping forward, looking forward to your reply.

Chris

Comment

The River Run (Merrimac, MA) can host a round in the 2017 Group 5 Proxy.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Audi1 View Post
                The River Run (Merrimac, MA) can host a round in the 2017 Group 5 Proxy.

Allan
                Thanks Allan, apologies for the delayed response, I have been taking a slot break during a very warm summer. I will add your track to the list and will have a final track list posted at the end of August.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Is there a list of the tracks being used?

With pictures and info about the tracks?

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Racer View Post
                    Is there a list of the tracks being used?

With pictures and info about the tracks?

Cheers

Paul
                    There is a tentative schedule in post #1 - a few details still needs to be confirmed, please also check last year's pages for pictures. You should see details about each round. I will ask Rob to post car spec page again. Unfortunately a few items have been lost due to changes at hosting site Photobucket.

Reviewing the past, will tell you a lot about what to expect in the future!

Chris

Comment

We are but a few days away from the start of the 2018 series proper, and I thought it would be a good time to confirm a few key details about the event.

The below email was send to all the host for this year series, and everyone confirmed that they are comfortable with the request and the timeline provided. Please note that proxy car racing is the ultimate challenge for control freaks, we have no control once the cars leave our shop. We do however provide a series of guidelines and these experience host's try to follow them as best as they can.

We sincerely appreciate the effort of each track owner, driver, organizer, marshal, coffee maker and everyone else that makes it possible for us to have this event. We will abide by the decision of the event organizer.

Email:

We are fast approaching the start of the 2018 series and you and your club have played a big part in the success and growth of this proxy. Thanks as always for your support, event reporting and time.

I am sending this email to provide you with an estimate of the timeline of the series and to ask that you please review the below and confirm that you are (interested) able to meet the request and guidelines.

There are 3 keys asks and considerations:

1) each event to take place within 3 weekends of receiving the cars - keeping the series flowing is important in keeping the forum/entrant participation
                      2) each car get the same amount of race-time with the same driver - allowing each car to be raced for an equal amount of time by each/all drivers creates a level playing field
                      3) you will do your best to make your track "rubber-friendly" as to ensure the cars can perform at their best
                      4) report on the event within 48hrs of it taking place, or if possible, sooner

I am very aware that stuff and life happens, and that things can change - but if you feel that you can commit to the above at this time, we would love to have you back as a host. Please also do not hesitate to decline to host, we do have some other track options if needed.

Round 0 - F1Fan "shakedown" - early November
                      Round 1 - Superslab BC - end Nov - early December
                      Round 2 - The Professor WA - December
                      Holiday Break
                      Round 3 - Gascarnut CA - early Jan
                      Round 4 - Smokeio CT (Shoreliners) - late Jan - early Feb
                      Round 5 - Audi1 MA - Feb
                      Round 6 - Ferrari1950 ON - early March
                      Round 7 - Radarek AB - late March
                      Round 8 - Calgary - early April
                      Round 9 - CGYRacer - late April
                      Round 10 - F1Fan - May

Bench Reserves - Kelowna (2) and Vancouver (3)

If you are able to support the above timeline and feel that you can meet the requested requirements, then please let me know - also if you have not done so already, please post your track details/pictures on the Group 5 Forum under "Invitation to Host" 2018

Again, thanks to your support we had a very succesful series in 2017. Your efforts are hugely appreciated!

Comment

Round 3 can be run on January 6 or January 20, depending on whether the cars arrive in time and what the weather does on those days.

Other weekends in January will not work, although December 30 or New Year's Day might also be available.

Dennis

Comment

Edmonton and Getcars are ready to host. March works perfectly for us.

Best luck to all
                          Radarek

Comment

Working...
                          X