This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAA 2016 Questions & answers

As we all say by to a great coordinator redlynr (still be entering the proxy) it's time to look ahead to next year. My car came in last place this year LOL so it will be easy for me to do better next year. Not good at setting up a GT2 car. Dead last I just can't believe it.

The rules look pretty well set in stone. Changing only the years to, 1st of 1996 to 2016.
    If anyone would like to see any other changes please post here.

Thanks Redlynr for all the hard work and time you have put into this proxy. I only hope I can meet your standard.

Be resistant to changes, is my advice!

The reason the RAA works so well is because the race classes are so cleverly defined by power limitations and weight minimums. The LMP cars lead the field, though the weakest of them will be beaten by the best of the GT1 cars; similarly, the weakest of the GT1 cars will be beaten by the best of the GT2 cars.

Just as it should be, in a cleverly contrived scale reproduction of 1:1 LeMans type racing.

I do often wish that more allowance was given in terms of motor choices, as I don't see why they have to be 'currently available' so long as they fit within their class in terms of relative power output. But then, I have a huge collection of motors in my slot part drawers, so obviously I'm biased as I want to experiment with them.

Comment

My only suggestion,would be to add/allow the Scaleauto sc-021 motor to GT1.
      Long can 20,000 bb motor.
      The short can version is legal.

Thanks,
      Steve

P.S. thanks for taking over the reigns of this proxy.

Comment

I do often wish that more allowance was given in terms of motor choices, as I don't see why they have to be 'currently available' so long as they fit within their class in terms of relative power output. But then, I have a huge collection of motors in my slot part drawers, so obviously I'm biased as I want to experiment with them.
        I too, have a stash of motors that aren't allowed because they aren't "current", but I do see why they're not allowed.
        For example...there was a time when the Slot.It black cans (yes, I have a stash of these ) were the ones to have, but they've been so long out of production that any newcomers have very little chance of attaining one (no, I'm not selling mine ). If this motor were to dominate a class because the top guys used them, how would the newcomer feel since he could not get one?

Comment

There has to be some benefit to experience, Shirley?

If this motor were to dominate a class because the top guys used them, how would the newcomer feel since he could not get one?
          Well isn't that part of the learning curve?

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
            Well isn't that part of the learning curve?
            Without meaning to give offense, so hopefully none is taken; what is the lesson to be learned?

You did not get into this early enough to have this 'primo' motor, so just suffer through the season with your mediocre lump. ??

The learning curve, IMHO, should be how to true tires, balance a chassis, pick a gearing, et cetera rather than what one can no longer buy, beg, borrow.

Again, no offense intended.

My $0.02.

Mc

Comment

This motor has almost twice as much power. It's not always just about the rev count...

Scaleauto SC20 Ball Bearing "blue" (FC-130) 20,000 RPM/12v; tested 23,147-24,351 RPM/12v
              170 gcm/12v; tested 151 gcm/12v, tested 8.7W/12v

Scaleauto SC21 Ball Bearing "blue" (FK-180) 20,000 RPM/12v; tested 21,669 RPM/12v
              250 gcm/12v; tested 294 gcm/12v, tested 15.9W/12v

Originally posted by steeveew View Post
              My only suggestion,would be to add/allow the Scaleauto sc-021 motor to GT1.
              Long can 20,000 bb motor.
              The short can version is legal.

Thanks,
              Steve

P.S. thanks for taking over the reigns of this proxy.

Comment

Again, no offense intended.
                No worries. I was just being dastardly with Dickie, eh?

Comment

"The reason the RAA works so well is"

Because guys like Steve have made it happen...thanks Steve !

I'm glad to see this great proxy will be going forward and in very capable hands.

It would be a shame to see it fall by the way side because....I it think was 4 or 5 years ago it was featured in article in Robert's "modelcarracingmag" so it's been around for awhile.

Once again THANK YOU Steve and welcome Austin !!!

Dick

Comment

As I said the rules are pretty well set in stone. It will take a lot to change them

the Scaleauto sc-021 motor to GT1 No way, sorry way to powerful

as I don't see why they have to be 'currently available'

You have been around for a long time with one super nice F40, Yes it is great to try new things. But you really know why.

Comment

McLiams is going to stay on doing the scoring, This is super news.
                      Going back over the scoring of last year looks like he did a outstanding job

I think for all the time and work he is and will be doing His car will have free entrée into the race

Comment

I didn't realize there was that big of a difference in those motors.
                        I got a smoking deal on some,and thought I would use them.

Thanks,
                        Steve

Comment

So, when are the cars due for the 2016 RAA?

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                            McLiams is going to stay on doing the scoring, This is super news.
                            Going back over the scoring of last year looks like he did a outstanding job

I think for all the time and work he is and will be doing His car will have free entrée into the race
                            Seems only righteous, so long as he pays for his own appetizer!

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                              Seems only righteous, so long as he pays for his own appetizer!
                              If it is Indy's own St. Elmo's shrimp cocktail...any time!

Mc

Comment

Working...
                              X