May go to Urethane tires next year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Audi1 View Post
    The major urethane tires manufacturers are Paul Gage and Yellow Dogs. They are also made by Art at D'Art Hobbie, Luf (oldslotracer) and others.
    Yes, indeed; I'm pretty sure that Luf is using the same compound as PG. Lots of choices, and leaving it open to any urethanes generally available - such as all these - would allow for some extra competitive interest rather than the situation the last while where Super Tires silicones were the only serious choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
      Yes, indeed; I'm pretty sure that Luf is using the same compound as PG. Lots of choices, and leaving it open to any urethanes generally available - such as all these - would allow for some extra competitive interest rather than the situation the last while where Super Tires silicones were the only serious choice.
      Ummm, I won with Quick Slicks....

Comment

Originally posted by Audi1 View Post
        I like the idea and it does open up a lot more potential tracks for the RAA.

I'd leave it at urethane and let the entrants choose their manufacturers. No gray dust Ortmanns though..........................

Allan
        I am late coming to this discussion, so can you explain what you mean by "No gray dust Ortmanns" please and how would you tell them apart?

I understood that Ortmanns are urethanes, and in my limited experience of urethanes, they all make grey dust when trued, so unless the race series is a "one make hand-out tyre series" then simply allow drivers to choose and use whatever urethanes they want?

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Racing View Post
          Ummm, I won with Quick Slicks....
          Oops, sorry I had forgotten that.

Comment

Originally posted by longdog View Post
            I am late coming to this discussion, so can you explain what you mean by "No gray dust Ortmanns" please and how would you tell them apart?
            Sure. Unless you've been in the hobby for quite a long time, this will not be an issue for you. Michael Ortmann developed a formulation of urethane tires several years ago that were, quite simply, way ahead of anything else that was available at the time. They are no longer produced and are very hard to find. His current Otrmann urethanes are on a par with other urethane tires; in terms of racing performance, but the old "gray dust" Ortmanns were a definite step above. Many, if not all, of the people who have the old Ortmann tires do not race them, simply because they are so good and it can create an un-level playing field.

The "gray dust" Ortmanns gave off a dark gray powder when trued; hence the name. Since then we have gone through blue dust Ortmanns and, now, white dust Ortmanns.

I would simply say; any urethane tires, excepting the old gray dust Ortmanns.

Others can fill in a lot more detail that I can.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
              Shoreline Model Raceways has hosted races for proxies using rubber, silicone and urethane tires with no problems. No matter what you normally run the track can be conditioned to work well with any sort of tire, it is just a matter of knowing the characteristics of each type. Once the track has been conditioned you have to avoid running other types of tires until the proxy racing is over. At that point it is likely that you would have to condition the track for the tires that you normally run.
              Whenever a proxy series switches the type of tires that are being used some of the regulars may not be willing to go to the bother, so while you will pick up some new participants you are likely to loose at least a few others.
              On that note I am going to withdraw running my track Lebanon Raceway Park and Herman P Finklemeyer speedway from next year schedule. We run Silicones on our track and we test on both for the Michigan 24 year round. Neither of us want to go though breaking in our tracks and then breaking them back in for silicones. I throughly enjoyed running my two rounds this past year I will probably enter a car or two though.

If you dont go to urethane tires I will be more than happy to enter both tracks again!!!

Comment

I'm hoping the 2017 RAA goes ahead - I have a couple of ideas for GT1 and possibly P to go with, but before I commit a bunch of resources to it, I need confirmation that it's actually happening...

I could host a round down here - but then the RAA would be Racing At Australia (and it's a fairly expensive shipping exercise ) - has been done fairly regularly for the Slot.it Shootout, but would be something different for the RAA... the (slightly) new and (mostly) improved Murray Farm Raceway 2.0 is ready to go...

Cheers, Tony.

Comment

there will be a 2017 RAA

rules are posted, working on more tracks.

Comment

Thanks for that - good to know!

My only point to ponder now is how many entries, and in what classes....

At least #32 in GT1, and then maybe an entry in either P or GT2...

Cheers, Tony.

Comment

Working...
                    X