2012 Scratch Built Chassis Proxy Round 4, Melbourne Model Raceway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Scratch Built Chassis Proxy Round 4, Melbourne Model Raceway

Sorry for the delay guys, qualifying has been completed, and to be honest, so has the race. I hope to publish the results on wednesday when i get access to the results again, which are at geds. No hints as to who finished were, I'll just say two cars had issues, one of which cost the car 40 seconds.
    Anyhoo, qualifying was an interesting affair, and there are some tired cars in the field. For example mine is nearly 3/10's slower and needs some cuddles big time before heading to America next year. Tony b's car had some quick work to prevent the body fouling, but even then the poor thing was miles off the pace. The grouping up the front is nice and close, and gives insight into who will/did finish well.

03racedale 3.898 - tippy at limit, felt fast
    tonyb 4.561 - colour matches performance
    newns 3.900 - needs a parachute or an anchor, no brakes!
    biedmatt 3.789 - taily but fast, easy to run
    alexis 3.840 - likely to do well, a bit of a sleeper
    moose1 3.789 - neutral & happy
    hg panel 3.900 - heavy, difficult to drive, still fast
    don murphy 4.059 - needs more power and less grip, a bit tippy
    manimmal 3.789 - seen better days, bent axle doesn't help
    sportsracer 3.729 - likely to go faster, smooth, predicable and nice. pole winner
    rsclio 4.010 - feeling old

the above matches qualifying order, ie racedale went out first, rsclio last. Cars were qualified after i completed about 200 laps, red lane.
    for reference the lap record is about a 2.99 with an nsr mosler, and Slot.it group c cars @12v do around 3.8-3.9.

Thanks for the update. I thought we had gone belly up again. Manimal do you still have the cars? Please let me know if you do.

Ken

Comment

That i do Ken. I'll be packing them up shortly for their next run. I have the results with me now, so I'll post them in the next 4 hours.

Chris

Comment

....of course the results are in image form on the work camera, and all the batteries are flat!! they're charging now so i should have the info i need shortly.
        Whilst i wait with some frustration, I'd like to offer some general feedback on the night.

The race was run on The Melbourne Cup day public holiday (only in Melbourne would we have a public holiday for a horse race..). Generally Cup day is a big night, but not this one, people stayed away in droves, only four of us were there to run the cars. Because of this we ran 4 of the 5 lanes, leaving out blue lane which is the drivers least favourite. Of the 4 drivers 3 of us were as good as you'll generally find, and the other driver whilst not as quick, was consistant.

Alexis, I'm sorry to report that your car lost around 10 laps due to the crown gear coming adrift. I had a slight spin with the car (it didn't even deslot, it really was a nothing off), and when i tried to throttle out of it i heard a clunk, and left the car to be marshalled-undesirable as the car was in a difficult spot given the lack of attandance. I drove off and the crown was slipping. I attempted to nurse the car to get any laps out of it but 1.5 laps later she came to a halt. I quickly established my initial diagnosis to be correct, tightened the grub screw and 40 seconds later she was as good as we've seen her.

Tonyb, your car seems very tired, and i was the only driver who could get it running ok, i was doing 4.4's all heat, wheras other drivers regularly had it dipping into the 5's, not a happy car.

RSClio, we spoke about your car, we reattached the body with some sticky tape, anything to get it running, i doubt this budget fix affected the pink pig for this round, but we know this car needs a rebuild.

hgpanel, you've got great power in this car, but it was not very good slowing down, which made it difficult to get a good run. I had a ball with this car, but others not so much

03racedale, when we tested the cars one of the guys made a tweak, i think a slight loosening of the rear screws. this helped the car turn, prior to this the car was very tippy. All drivers enjoyed this car

biedmatt, to give away a little, we all expected this car to win. it was taily, but highly predictable which allowed us all to drive the car with confidence

Don Murphy, without meaning to sound harsh, we were disappointed with this cars performance. I suspect this car is another that needs a few hugs. Handling was ok, she just lacked the legs to really compete

newns, i was surprise to get some really good laps with your car. huge power, it just doesn't turn, as is highly unpredictable, it spent a good amount of time being marshalled.

sportsracer, this car got the highest heat result. not the prettiest of chassis, but at this point in the series it is going strong

mmoose1, 'have fun'? we did! clearly you've built a chassis or two in your days, a great looking thing, and great performance as well. this car was not setting lap records, but like biedmatt's car, predictability gave us confidence to push

Manimmal, who's that guy? my car is pretty bashed up, I look forward to changing many parts for the US season, and repairing the body.

results soon.

Comment

Here we go

mmoose 240.63
          sportsracer 237.01
          biedmatt 235.03
          03racedale 233.52
          manimmal 230.61
          don murhpy 222.89
          rsclio 222.68
          hgpanel 221.24
          alexis 215.04
          newns 203.3
          tonyb 193.3

and a bad photo...

Comment

That boy from Ft Wayne wins again. The ugly Toyota has given solid performances in every race. Congrats Ken and Paul for the 1st and 2nd places. Thank you manimal fro hosting the race, I know from experience that they are both great fun and quite time consuming.

Ken and I are thinking now may be a good time to withdraw and get the cars ready for the North American series coming up in about 6-8 weeks. Manimal, do you still have the cars? If so, can you return Ken and my car to me?

Matt

Comment

A podium finish for my car - got to be happy with that!

Thanks for running the race, much appreciated. Can you send the rest of the cars back to me and I'll get the last race done ASAP so the cars can be posted back to their owners before the December Christmas rush.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Racer View Post
                A podium finish for my car - got to be happy with that!

Thanks for running the race, much appreciated. Can you send the rest of the cars back to me and I'll get the last race done ASAP so the cars can be posted back to their owners before the December Christmas rush.

Cheers

Paul
                Paul If you can promise to return my car before the Christmas holiday rush I will stick around for the last race. I hate to leave a series before the last race is run.

Ken

Comment

Hi Guys
                  I'll be pushing Paul all the way to make sure you get your cars back ASAP.
                  I'll be helping him with the race, so we can get it done and dusted quickly.

Cheers
                  Andrew

Comment

Hey Paul, gents, they are on their way. I held onto my spare motor so that'll explain why you won't find it in the box.

Chris
                    Last edited by Manimmal; 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by mmmoose1 View Post
                      Paul If you can promise to return my car before the Christmas holiday rush I will stick around for the last race. I hate to leave a series before the last race is run.

Ken
                      Ditto

Comment

That's great news guys, I spoke with Paul last night about helping as much as I can and getting a crew of drivers together to get this last race complleted and your cars back well before the fat man comes, OK

Cheers
                        Andrew

Comment

Thanks Chris for the race and feedback.Congratulation to podium winners.Re crown it happened again
                          in round 1,i assume something is causing vibration(bent axle?) or the crown is faulty.

Comment

Thanks again for hosting1 Needs some TLC huh? Too much grip and tippy and needs more power...OK..

I'm open for suggestions! What would be a better engine manufacturer, would a gear change help...and what to do about being "tippy"?

So any suggestions will be well appreciated!

I'm in for the long haul, so race it till the end. If the deadline for the North American Proxy gets too close I'll just build another chassis with your recommendations in place.

Don M.

Comment

Hey Don,

I thought your car at my place was good,certainly not too far from the top cars,I think Chriss' race was run on a much bigger track than mine and that may be why your car wasn't seen in its best light,I also thought it handled good,I guess this is just so typical of what proxy racing is all about.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X