Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routing question ??

I see a 1/4 trim router at harbor frieght for 29.99
    I'm wondering if this would work for routing a track.
    Has anybody else tried this router for routing a track ??

I used a Martek trimmer for routing most of a hillclimb track, small base allowed for routing on the narrow track.

Comment

What about a Dremmel tool or similar? I have one and was wondering about using that, it has a attachable router base.

Comment

Doesn't matter how the slot is made, so long as it's the correct width and depth.

Comment

I was not asking so much as to how but if the trim router is capable....of doing it...

Comment

Oh, sorry. Yes. I've seen many tracks where people used trim routers. Also, the dremel with router attachment should also work fine.

Comment

trim, yes, Dremel, no

Full size and trim size routers have sturdy bearings designed to carry a "side" load, a Dremel does not and chances are you would burn it up. I have used a trim router very successfully, it has enough power to rout and the proper construction.

TOJ

Comment

That's good to know TOJ, I have a rather large Craftsman router that my uncle gave me. Hwever the base is so large that I think it would be difficult to use for a SLOP track, especially if I get the guide Luf makes.

I may have to look into the trim router.

Comment

Originally posted by Z-carfan View Post
                  ...the base is so large that I think it would be difficult to use for a SLOP track, especially if I get the guide Luf makes...
                  most full size routers have a base that is approximately 6" diameter/3" radius. you should have at least 4 inches on the outside corners of the slot to allow the cars to slide. (really 5 inches is better, but you can get away with 4 on a SLOP track). that gives you plenty of room to nail in Luf's guide.

another option if you want narrower aprons is to do your routing on a larger sheet of MDF and then cut out the shape of the track afterwards...

Comment

Good to know about Dremels, but I'm certain I've seen tracks made by people with that kind of tool. Probably smaller ones, and hopefully they went slow to avoid damaging the tool.

Comment

I've used a Dremel router for some light work. For heavier duty cutting a full size router is much better.

Yes I suppose you could could build a track with a Dremel router if you take light cuts. If we are talking about 9 square feet of track (is that the SLOP limit?) then I guess it's doable. Even for that I reckon a bigger router would be 30 bucks well spent,

Comment

routing question ??

I built a 47' hill climb with that very router and it worked great. The bit is the key. Buy a really good one as it works harder than the router.
                        I swapped out the square base for a home made round one so I could easily run it alongside Luf's Lexan strip. That is a must have. Good luck and get going.

Comment

Can You tell me what bits I need to use.. or where to find them....
                          I am assuming that when i put 1/8 router bit in a search engine and it shows me a 1/8 end mill that this is not the correct bit ???

Comment

proper router bit

you want an 1/8" straight cut bit, either single or double fluted....TUNGSTEN CARBIDE, not high speed steel. The former is much stronger and sharper and will last a good while with proper care....high speed steel sounds sexy, but as a router bit is pretty limp!!!

You can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's for about $13-$14 each. I try to buy a few when they go on sale for 20% off.

TOJ

Comment

Working...
                            X