Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 4 - Slot Car Corner

The cars have arrived!
    I've yet to remove them from the package, but they're here!

The current plan is I will run some rubber tired cars on the track this week, and towards the end of the week, I'll qualify the cars. I hope to have guys come in Sat. night and race them.

Stay tuned!!

Glad to hear they made it in their allotted 4-(business)day shipping promise! Thanks Canada and US Postal services!

Now the question ... do you run your car sans motor pod screw or fix it and take the penalty? Perhaps running it without the screw in practice will help you decide! (We didn't notice a difference without the screw in at MG.)

Enjoy the cars and have a great race!

Comment

Now the question ... do you run your car sans motor pod screw or fix it and take the penalty?
      Oh yeah, I had forgotten that Dickie has a screw loose.

Comment

Originally posted by nhdungeonracer View Post
        The current plan is I will run some rubber tired cars on the track this week, and towards the end of the week, I'll qualify the cars. I hope to have guys come in Sat. night and race them.

Originally posted by slotbutton View Post
        No Qualifying. The cars should be run for 1 minute in that time determine if you want to run them in their current overall position or how they would best run together on your track. I personally would run them in reverse order of their overall position.

Hope that helps?
        I thought we weren't doing qualifying?

Comment

I thought we weren't doing qualifying?
          Correct we aren't. I have asked each host to runn the cars for a minute in any order to see that they have survived the loving care of the US and Canadian postal services. If you record a laptime in the minute fine, but the cars should be run in their current standings.

Comment

Pardon my latin ...

If you record a laptime in the minute fine, but the cars should be run in their current standings.
            Forgive me for not doing the research, but is that leader to last, or vice versa?

Comment

Forgive me for not doing the research, but is that leader to last, or vice versa?
              That was not stipulated, the first 3 rounds were run from back to front. If someone wants to run the race starting with the leaders first there is no "rule" to stop them.

Comment

Oops-no qualifying then (old habits can be hard to break)

I'll go back and re-read the Hosting rules (again) to be sure I do this right...

Comment

I have run the all the cars per their 1 minute pre-race warm-up and inspection...

I am, quite frankly, surprised how many cars have tires that are out round, particularly in the Stock class. Was any truing of tires done at Parc Ferme as was done last year?

And while I think of it, I did replace the screw on the #21 car, so I will take the 5 lap penalty coming to me for this.

Below is my feedback of how the cars run here...

You will notice I feel a lot of cars are loose. Remember that this track is primarily a silicone friendly track. While I've run quite a few laps (over 200 laps per lane) with a rubber tired car, I've yet to get a build-up of rubber going yet. I'll continue running rubber tired cars throughout the remainder of the week, and hopefully by race time the track will have better grip.

#1-Smooth, handles well
                  #37-Loose, hops in corners
                  #71-Smooth, handles well
                  #24-Smooth, handles very well
                  #14-Loose with some chatter
                  #3-Noisy, chatters under acceleration
                  #61-Smooth, handles very well
                  #55-Loose with some chatter
                  #59-Slightly loose with little chatter
                  #49-Slightly loose with little chatter
                  #11-Smooth, but little loose
                  #27-Noisy, and little loose
                  #52-Smooth, but a little loose
                  #88-Loose
                  #21-Loose with some chatter
                  #98-Little loose with some chatter
                  #4-Little loose
                  #666-Bit loose
                  #12-Smooth, handles ok
                  #51-Smooth, but loose
                  #17-Loose, with some chatter
                  #5-Loose with some chatter
                  #26-Little loose
                  #34-Little loose

Comment

You're efficient! And, you seem to like my car, so it's all good!

I am, quite frankly, surprised how many cars have tires that are out round, particularly in the Stock class. Was any truing of tires done at Parc Ferme as was done last year?
                    Don't forget that while the Evo cars were allowed to be submitted with pretty much any non-silicone Slot.it tires, glued and trued to the rims, the Group C cars had handout unglued tires installed on them at Tech Inspection.

There was also a limit on what could be done with the front tires, as far as I recall, though I'm sure they'll all be nicely run in by now.

Comment

Don't forget that while the Evo cars were allowed to be submitted with pretty much any non-silicone Slot.it tires, glued and trued to the rims, the Group C cars had handout unglued tires installed on them at Tech Inspection.
                      I knew the EVO class could glue and true. And I knew the Stock class were to run handout tires that were unglued. I just thought someone would at least true them before sending them out as was done last year. I guess that wasn't the case this year... So basically, if you get a set that's not so round (and quite a few did), your chances of doing well are not so good.

Comment

I noticed a lot of chatter and what sounded like bouncing among the rubber shod cars in practice at Mini Grid, but it wasn't an issue during the race. Between the track getting rubbered up and the cars running more, the tires seemed to be okay. Not sure that will still be the case by the end of the series though.

PS - if you have times for the cars it's okay to post them! They are only practice times after all!

Comment

I just thought someone would at least true them before sending them out as was done last year.
                          Weren't they slip on C1's last year? Glued tyres the previous?

It's a nice idea but doing tech and qualifying is arduous enough without having to true 16 pairs of tyres and to be honest I always thought it an attempt in futility trying to true unglued tyres? But then I haven't really mastered the art of tyre trueing

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to the weekend race
                          Last edited by slotbutton; 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM. Reason: After thought

Comment

It's a nice idea but doing tech and qualifying is arduous enough without having to true 16 pairs of tyres and to be honest I always thought it an attempt in futility trying to true unglued tyres?
                            That would certainly be my way of thinking; in series that allow trueing and nail polishing of front tires, I've always glued them to the rims beforehand just to facilitate this, but no point to doing that here, so I just found the best set of legal Zero Grips I could find.

As one guy who was able to have two cars go through Tech and testing though, I was kind of astonished to see my #81 Warsteiner Group C car on handout F22s and my #61 Warsteiner Evo car on glued/trued C1s turning virtually identical lap times in Tacoma; it was a difficult decision to decide which one to submit for the season.

Comment

it was a difficult decision to decide which one to submit for the season.
                              I think the amount of tracks that aren't usually rubber friendly will be the decider in this years shootout.

Comment

Working...
                              X