Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 5 - Route 66 Raceway 2012

Hi All!

Cars arrived today and they all looked fine. Wet Coast's pod screw was put back in place and backed out the appropriate amount.

I spun the cars on the skid pad 25 laps in each direction after cleaning their tires first prior to each run. When I say "ratty sounding" in the comments, no insult is intended, just hard to tell if the sound is tire or body/chassis/pod. Quite a few cars would drum the table which I feel through my hand that rests on the skid pad as I control the transformer. Most cars were asymmetrical in their lateral acceleration and sounded very different CW versus CCW.

Fastest lap time was taken and converted to "G". My car was the only one I had to "slow down" to get a time due to the NINCO N-Scorer's min lap time of 1.01 seconds. Both ckouba and Boopiejones didn't skip a lap but put in a 1.01 lap in one direction.

car owner.................CW CCW CW comments / CCW comments
    1 jscot1111.............1.59 1.72 (tires not square, chicken strips on inside) Smooth, slight out of round tire?/Weave
    24 TransIssues ........1.75 1.75 Smooth, weaves slightly at limit/Neat
    71 ckouba...............1.62 1.75 Nice, easy, chatter at limit/Nice, chatter & hop at limit
    37 boopiejones ........1.75 1.65 (Right Rear smaller OD?) SMOOTH, quiet, nice on edge/Weave, tire howl
    14 JohnnySlots ........1.48 1.53 SMOOTH, violent loose/ Hum, weave
    59 The Professor......1.59 1.51 Tidy, little bit of noise/Louder, table drum
    55 B52RN................1.40 1.48 Weave, vibration at rear of body, drums table, snappy loose/more vibs, Tire out of round?
    11 Budslots.............1.65 1.59 Nice, smooth, tidy/Easy at limit
    3 sjw....................1.40 1.29 Ratty sounds, hops, rear visably vibrating/Weave, table drum
    61 Wet Coast Racer..1.65 1.65 Quiet, smooth, whir sound/ Stumbles on limit
    49 gambler49..........1.48 1.65 Ratty sounds, sounds like rocks in tranny/ Drums table
    52 AJK...................1.56 1.69 Another smooth car by AJK, slight weave at limit/ SMOOTH
    27 Kerry.................1.38 1.56 Ratty sounds, hops/Drums table
    88 Slotracer88 ........1.38 1.45 Gear hum, ratty sound/drum beat
    4 ALCOPA..............1.51 1.62 Smooth, neat/weave at limit
    98 timkoul..............1.51 1.56 Medium high freq noise/drum beat
    51 bov...................1.53 1.59 Ratty sounds, weave at limit/ CCW required a much higher slip angle to get best speed
    12 slotbutton...........1.51 1.59 smooth, quiet, snappy loose at limit/ weaves
    66 6 monquispot......1.45 1.48 quiet, snappy loose at limit/ gear rattle
    21 nhdungeonracer...1.48 1.51 Gear rattle? Weave/ weave
    17 steveeew............1.43 1.53 Body or Chassis chatter, loose, hoppy/smoother going CCW
    5 Turboman93........1.38 1.51 Chatter, body chatter, weave, loose/ same going CCW
    26 Maddick1943.......1.38 1.43 Drums table, loose/ same going CCW
    34 AUTORAMA..........1.48 1.53 Loose, chatters/ smoother snappy loose at limit

Dave may not be able to race with me this week so I'll try to knock out the "qualifying" and report on how your cars handle on Route 66 by the end of the week and race them ASAP.

Cheers!
    Paul
    Last edited by TransIssues; 06-28-2012, 06:26 AM. Reason: what round is this?

Nice to be back in New Mexico!

61 Wet Coast Racer..1.65 1.65 Quiet, smooth, whir sound/ Stumbles on limit
    Exactly what I didn't expect - different wheels, with a different C1 tire footprint as a consequence, and it turns out to be my first proxy car that circles equally quickly in both directions ... go figure!

By 'stumbling', do you think that braid contact is becoming intermittent? Ratty I don't mind (or Mole either) but this one has me confused. (By the way, I've been known to weave on the limit, also.)

Comment

Paul,
      As long as the tires/wheels are the same left and right, and the car is balanced left and right the numbers should be the same.

As far as the stumble, it didn't appear to be braid/power related, just a different form of a "weave" where your car would get loose AND slow down markedly and then regain its composure.

The skid pad (MDF with polished surface) really shows off any out of round or vibration issues. I should probably use it more in car development......

Cheers!
      Paul
      Last edited by TransIssues; 06-28-2012, 06:42 AM. Reason: didn't see second question on my phone...

Comment

I was going to send the RAA cars tomorrow, but maybe I'll hold onto them for another week?

Comment

Send 'em! I'll run them pretty quick and can do the skid pad and Magnet Marshal data collection before they are raced!

Cheers!
          Paul

Comment

I have no idea what all those testing numbers mean (lower better?) or what the skidpad looks like (Picture please?)

And what does weave mean? (And could it be caused by tires not being glued on?)

But thanks for doing it anyway!

Comment

Hey Johnny,
              The numbers are in units of "G". One "G" equals 32 feet per second per second. So the bigger the number the faster/better handling the car. Just like 1:1 cars I report the data in "G" so you can compare on your own skid pad if you'd like. There is a considerable difference in a few tenths of a "G", the difference say of a a Chevette to a Corvette.

A weave is my description of a car that steps out and recovers all on its own. Loose is when the rear end steps out and stays there. Snappy loose is when all of a sudden the rear steps out a great deal. Violent loose is when nothing, nothing, and then all of a sudden the car steps out say 45 degrees or so.

Tires that aren't glued tend to show up more as chatter and maybe some snappy loose or less progressive handling at the limit.

I'll get a picture when I get back to my computer. My skid pad is a perfect circle with a diameter of just over 35 inches. It is MDF, painted and then polished to as smooth as I could get it with a buffer.

Cheers!
              Paul

Edit:
              Here is a photo of the skid pad with all the cars from last night. My self powered tire cleaner and the NINCO N-Scorer are also visible.
              Last edited by TransIssues; 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Qualy is done

Got to run the cars for their one minute shakedown. Field is covered by just over a second. Slowest car went through the speed trap at 17.9 FPS and the fastest at 21.3 FPS.

Have to take care of the family now and will try to get the data posted later tonight.

Cheers!
                Paul

Comment

Worry not, you have our attention!

Comment

Wet, your car went 20.8 FPS.....

Comment

I like that photo, Paul - for once the Jag is out in front......

Cheers, Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by bov View Post
                        I like that photo, Paul - for once the Jag is out in front......
                        You mean on top!

Comment

Originally posted by TransIssues View Post
                          55 B52RN................1.40 1.48 Weave, vibration at rear of body, drums table, snappy loose/more vibs, Tire out of round?
                          Boy, that sounds pretty bad...had a not so stellar run at the SCC track...could something be amiss?...can a tire just suddenly go out of round?

Paul, could you take a quick look and make sure everything is as it should be?

Comment

Hello!

The one minute shakedown/qualifying was run this morning. Cars were run as with the skid pad in reverse order of their current overall standing. Trackmate was set to one minute, DS RMS was turned on to capture speed trap data, and tires cleaned and the cars released onto the track.

Surprised that only two cars have independent front rotating wheels. Some cars had so much body float I thought they were World of Outlaw cars! On my track, with ME driving, large float can make the cars trip over themselves in the esses. Not sure if this is due to sectional track or what. But what tends to work here is smooooooth float with the front tires planted on the track and indie fronts (better yet coated and polished indie fronts!).

I noticed that most of the six KH Porsches had flighty front ends and would lift the front when pulling the trigger, only one KH pulled completely out of the slot. Strange.

Some cars seemed to have a high cg which caused bicycling. This track has plenty of grip and a lower cg seems to work best. Again, here. YRMV.

Car....Owner.............fastest lap..Speed (FPS).. Overall comments
                            1 jscot111............6.568.........19.2.........Fro nt end is PLANTED, deep guide goes "click clack" on Scaley Sport, right rear tire chatters on limit
                            24 TransIssues .......6.411.........21.3.........Fast, lots of brakes, low cg makes for an easy drive, wheelie de-slot
                            71 ckouba..............6.642.........19.9........."KH " front end and transfers into a full body buck at times, wheelie de-slot, fast!
                            37 boopiejones .......6.807.........18.8.........Lots of pod chatter/slap under braking, bucks when you pull the trigger, uneven rear fender movement when pushing on opposite front fender
                            14 JohnnySlots.......6.736.........20.1.........Fast, smooth, smooth drivetrain, quiet, "KH" nose lift/flighty
                            59 The Professor.....7.001.........19.2........."Click clack" body/chassis, easy to drive
                            55 B52RN..............6.823.........19.9.........Nice , smooth, drives like a high downforce car
                            11 Budslots............7.044.........19.5.........Lit tle loose, drives like it has a low cg, bucks at times, flighty front end, tripod
                            3 sjw...................7.097.........18.1.........N oisy, lots of chatter, lots of slop in rear bushings
                            61 Wet Coast Racer..6.779 .........20.8 .........Fast! Little flighty at front end, does what you want/ask of it, stiff guide rotation
                            49 gambler49..........6.769 .........18.6 .........Nice! A little chassis/body/pod noise
                            52 AJK...................6.928 .........18.3 .........Smooth, chatters front at limit, a bit tippy through esses
                            27 Kerry................7.200.........18.4 .........Lacks punch, lots of vibrations (OOR?)
                            88 Slotracer88 ........6.936 .........20.1 .........Tippy, shutters front end, chatters rear in higher speed corners
                            4 ALCOPA..............7.043.........20.4 .........Little loose, shutters on adding full power
                            98 timkoul..............6.795.........19.9......... Fast easy to drive, recovers nicely, chatter on limit, LOTS of pod chatter under power/brake
                            51 bov...................7.087 .........18.3......... Down on overall grip, needs to be driven smooth, for an Orange motor seems soft on power
                            12 slotbutton..........7.054 .........19.7 .........Smooth, easy to drive but…random and unpredicable de-slots, drives "soft"
                            66 6 monquispot......7.432 .........17.9......... WoOish, can bicycle, push on left front fender and right rear tire lifts
                            21 nhdungeonracer...6.837 .........20.8 .........RAW! Rocket!, seems to have either a gear vibration or pod interference
                            17 steveeew............7.271.........18.4 .........Little loose, REALLY needs to be straight before full power, easy to "S" power slide
                            5 Turboman93........7.150.........17.9......... Nice, easy to drive, some rattle/rumble
                            26 Maddick1943........7.419.........19.2 .........No Brakes! A little extraneous movement from front
                            34 AUTORAMA..........7.106.........18.3 .........Flighty front end, lifts on acceleration, front wheels have a fair amount of drag despite plenty of side-to-side clearance

Hope to race the cars real soon.

Cheers!
                            Paul
                            Last edited by TransIssues; 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM. Reason: Fixed the Devil's ride!

Comment

Originally posted by B52RN View Post
                              Boy, that sounds pretty bad...had a not so stellar run at the SCC track...could something be amiss?...can a tire just suddenly go out of round?

Paul, could you take a quick look and make sure everything is as it should be?
                              Neil, all cars passed Route 66 Scrutineering. Not sure if I can single out a car.....

My bet is that the over zealous comments on the skid pad are caused by the non-glued/trued rear tires. It makes a HUGE difference on the performance on the skid pad to have perfectly round tires. Looking at your qualy time and comments, you have nothing to worry about.

Now it's time for a glass of...

Cheers!
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X