Hand-out Motor Dyno Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand-out Motor Dyno Testing

We're going to have the handout motors broken in and dyno tested to try to make them as evenly matched as possible. However, Lance pointed out that there is an added complication since some racers may use them in clock-wise rotation and others counter clock-wise. He's asked me to let him know how many teams will need CW vs CCW, or both.

Here's a pic of the handout motor:

When looking at the can side (long shaft side) will you require CW or CCW rotation?

- Jeff

I'm probably speaking for a lot of us when I say that we're not yet sure which car we're going to run at the race. We'll bring some good candidates to the practice session and decide there which one is the best on this track. Then, it could be an anglewinder or inline configuration and the direction would not be the same depending on the car.

Are we the only ones doing that?

Comment

I agree we are unsure of which cars we are going to run. I don't think it makes a differance which way the motors are broken in. But it would be interesting to know if they run faster one way or the other.

Comment

It can make a difference the way the motor is broken and I would prefer not to have a motor that was run and broken in the opposite way. How much practice time will we have in the morning and can we break the motor in ourselves?

Comment

Hi guys,

Just from experience with these - they tend to rev higher clockwise than they do counter clockwise when they are new out of the box.

I'd also suggest the break in procedure should be ran in the direction the motor is planned to be ran and dyno'd in.

We have seen "some" exceptions, but for the most part - even after break in, the clockwise rotating motors still rev higher while the counter rotating motors have more torque.

For our team - I think it's safe to say we will be using a car that uses clockwise rotation. We're mainly testing with Inlines at the moment and if we do use an Anglewinder, the motor will be rotating clockwise. Like everyone here, we do not know what car we will use until we get there and have done our testing.

Mark
          Last edited by Mark; 02-12-2010, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Here's my thoughts on the matter...and where things stand.

Slot.it has agreed to donate a very large supply of motors for the race and my understanding is that Maurizio (or Alan) will screen them to provide motors that are evenly matched. I don't believe the motors will be broken in prior to the race, just quickly tested to weed out the dogs and rockets.

Since the motors will naturally rev higher in one direction while producing more torque in the other (due to timing differences) I'd like to suggest that the teams be provided with enough time to break in their motor in their preferred direction and to track test to select their gearing before race start.

I think an hour on Saturday morning would be sufficient time for break in and track testing. Does that sound like enough time?

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JayGee View Post
              Here's my thoughts on the matter...and where things stand.

Slot.it has agreed to donate a very large supply of motors for the race and my understanding is that Maurizio (or Alan) will screen them to provide motors that are evenly matched. I don't believe the motors will be broken in prior to the race, just quickly tested to weed out the dogs and rockets.

Since the motors will naturally rev higher in one direction while producing more torque in the other (due to timing differences) I'd like to suggest that the teams be provided with enough time to break in their motor in their preferred direction and to track test to select their gearing before race start.

I think an hour on Saturday morning would be sufficient time for break in and track testing. Does that sound like enough time?

- Jeff
              Hi Jeff, that sounds perfect.

Comment

Then in that case, I'd opt for pushing back the race start by one hour as opposed to beginning an hour earlier. I don't want to cut into our social time friday evening by having folks calling it an early night. Does that work for everyone?

- Jeff

Comment

Sounds good to me. Thanks for adjusting the schedule to accomodate everyone.

Comment

Motors are on the way!

I had Alan send the motors direct to Roger today. I'll ask Roger to mark the motors either before or while they are being handed out.

- Jeff

Comment

Motors tested and Dyno'd by Slot.it and Scaleracing.

Slot.it supplied tested motors, but just to be safe I also dyno'd each motor.

They are graded into 4 Groups of Seven. ( 28 motors in total )

Jeff will decide when motors are handed out but there will be enough spares and motors to buy to get everyone through the night and back into the light.

The motors are graded A,B,C,D, this does not mean an A is better than a D just balanced very closely each group.

Each motor was, lubed, thoroughly warmed up then tested then graded.

Have fun.

Each Team should end up with a motor in their Race Car, the other motors are coming back to Tacoma for further testing, so if you lose a motor we will be checking it out to find out why. Please Teams mark your Team name on any motors returned.

Jeff will be returning the un-used motors for future Events, like the Slot.it Challenge 2nd Annual Final in Chicago in October 2010. Be there ( again ) or be square.

Good Luck to all.
                      Last edited by Scaleracing; 03-01-2010, 06:01 PM.
                      Alan Smith
                      SCI Owner.
                      www.scaleracing.com
                      www.slotcarillustrated.com
                      www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                      www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Working...
                      X