Tire compounds on hosting tracks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire compounds on hosting tracks

I am wondering how the hosts feel about, and what their experiences are, running the mix of urethane, rubber, and silicone tires that exist in the field of competitors' cars?

At Austin Slot Car Club (ASCC), we are a no-silicone track. We're a bit concerned about the effect of the silicones on our track when we host a round of the 2011 series. Do any of the other hosts have the same no-silicone rule, but allow them for the proxy series? And if so, what is your experience with how they affect the track surface, and how long before the surface gets back to what the club would consider "normal."

Thanks,
    Brian

My routed track is a no silicone track as I only allow rubber or urethane. I did, however, run the Cheetah proxy race last year and most cars had silicones.

There wasn't as much of an effect from the silicones "stripping" the surface as I thought it would. I would say it took a week of hard racing to get it back to where it once was.

The biggest difference is that the silicone cars had a much more difficult time with traction than the urethane cars. Towards the end the of the race the sillies picked up a little speed but they were basically coated so the traction still wasn't very good.

It may be a good idea to list the tracks and what surface they have and what is generally run on it so that the car builders can make a wise choice in their tires.

tim

Comment

Agreed. At Penguin Point we run both rubber and urethane. Same thing across town at Rico's Autumn Hills.

Comment

That's a good idea Tim.

I didn't explicitly state it in the original post so I will here:

ASCC is a 54 foot, 3-lane, routed wood track with a semi-gloss latex painted surface. We allow rubber and urethane tires on track.

And a hint to WTCC competitors: We have found through experience that rubber tires offer the most predictable performance and urethane tires can grip a little too well under certain conditions. Unfortunately, we don't yet have a good read on exactly what those "certain conditions" are, other than to state the obvious: it depends on car setup.
        Last edited by Belator; 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM. Reason: Added detail.

Comment

Here's the 411 on Glenlivet Hills International Raceway (GHIR):

3-lane routed MDF w/ flat latex paint. Average lane length is 45'. Track regularly gets a mix of "stock" rubber tires and silicones (mostly Slot.it S2's w/ a few Super Tires mixed in). For serious racing (including Proxy rounds) the track gets vacuumed and wiped down w/ a tack cloth. Almost 100% of the cars w/ rubber tires have been "magnet" cars. The only urethane tires that have been on the track have been on the handful of proxy cars that have had them.

It's been my experience that the silicone tires are a HUGE advantage on GHIR.

FWIW

David

Comment

About tires

Racers, at Red Mountain silicone tires work the best however, NSR ultimate rubber also works good, just not quite as good as silicone.

Hey Don, maybe we should have silicone one year & rubber/urethane the next year. I know the Cheetah Proxy is starting that.

Big Jack

Comment

Overlook Hills runs best with S2 silicones or rubber (shore 15 & shore 22-Slot-it/NSR/BRM)I don't mined Urethane on my track,but they don't seem to work real good. Track surface is satin finish latex w/a serious "blue groove". I run rubber when I'm practicing,but almost always run silicones when racing. 82' around-27" total elevation change per lap. Track is run @ 10 volts,and lap times for last years faster cars was in the low 7 second range.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jack View Post
                Hey Don, maybe we should have silicone one year & rubber/urethane the next year. I know the Cheetah Proxy is starting that.
                Shhhhhhhhh! Dang-it Jack....don't go giving him any ideas...hard enought to figure out tuning w/o adding tires into the mix!....

David

Comment

Stoney Brook is a painted Carrera track. I used Rustoleum gray primer and the best tires by far are Supertires but S2s work pretty well too. Some rubber tires do good like the Ninco rubber but rubber usually isn't the choice for running here.

Tom

Comment

Auburn Hills is routed wood, painted with single-part epoxy floor paint. After 3 or so years of running we are beginning to wear the surface in
                    Prety much any soft tire works here, and some of the fastest laps have been had with BRM Shore 15 tires, but for consistency and traction Supertires are really the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X