No announcement yet.

Torque Steer Demonstration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if you would call this torque steer by definition since torque steer is usually experienced during hard acceleration of a front wheel drive car/or all wheel drive car (steering mechanism also propels the car).

This is just simply one tire having more traction than the other. I bet if you applied "glue" on the track surface, this would reduce the steering effect.

As far as torque on the left or right side of the axle, yes the effect is the same because it's a solid axle. Robert is correct. The difference in traction is simply on the tires vs the surface. As far as the horsepower comment, it isn't quite the same situation. Horsepower loss through drivetrain is a measurement of efficiency and not traction. Not sure if you were being serious or not, Wet

Dave has already stated this in his post:
    Originally posted by Dave
    After many runs, most of the time both cars had a tendency to drift to the left after the first two feet, it must be a traction difference in the track surface.

Dave

Comment

Horsepower loss through drivetrain is a measurement of efficiency and not traction. Not sure if you were being serious or not, Wet
      Hey, would I ever kid around? OK forget I said that.

But in all seriousness, whilst I appreciate the differentiation between the nature of torque vs horsepower, I still don't "get it". Surely the quality of modern drivelines in our 1:1 cars is such that power loss between the crank and the wheels should be absolutely minimal? Yet this certainly isn't the case.

It's also my belief (not that this necessarily bolsters my argument) that if that sidewinder motor were in the precise centre of the car, with a pinion and spur gear on each end, then the car would launch in a straight line ... provided the traction at the tires was equal, of course.

Comment

You're correct. In slot cars, the car will always accelerate straight, unless you have a difference in traction between right/left tires. A different overall diameter of the tire can also cause this.

As far as driveline loss, friction and weight is a driveline's enemy. Sometimes weight increases for strength(not always) or friction increases for stability (All wheel drive). There are sacrifices for everything.

If you really think about it, Power loss in our 1:1 cars between the crank and wheels are at an absolute minimal........................................for the cost you're paying

Comment

yes AW cars will also exhibit this. i see it everytime i gun it or hard brake the long straight. i like it, it looks like a real powerful car reacting.

Comment

Left Turn Chassis

I removed the motor from the inline test chassis and rolled it the length of the test area. The chassis had a tendency to make a slight left turn every time I pushed it.

The front axle has 0.040” back and forth clearance. When the chassis is sitting on a flat surface the front axle is turned to the left causing the chassis to turn in that direction.

The Ferrari 312, with 10 grams on the nose, still lifted the front wheels until the left exhaust pipe hit the track, unloading the left rear wheel. This is why it didn’t veer to the left until the fourth frame of the composite.

The difference in motor power and rear wheel power is so small on a correctly prepared car, I could never measure the difference. Each time I would measure the power of the same motor, either in the motor dyno or chassis dyno, I would get small variation. Sometimes I would show more power with the motor in the chassis.

The location of the car on the chassis dyno is very critical, forward of dead center would increase the torque, and rear of center would decrease torque.

Dave

Comment

And what about...

And what about any play in the rear axle bushings?
              Would the motor pinion try to twist the rear axle along it's axis? And would this cause one wheel to "lift" while the other wheel was "planted"? Of course I realise this is only a couple of thousandths, but if under torque one side was plus .002 and the other side minus .002 and then add any chassis flex .......
              Just curious if that makes any sense at all...

Scott

Comment

Working...
              X