Loose Pickup Wires, A Simple Fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Pickup Wires, A Simple Fix

I replace all of the Slot it factory pickup braids with Slot it SIP 05 soft copper braids. These braids are thinner and softer than the factory installed ones.

With these softer braids, the pickup wire’s brass eyelets are loose when they are inserted and have a tendency to come out after a period of use.

These are a few fixes that I have tried with varying success.

Soldering the wires directly to the braids works, but it creates a weak spot at the bending point and the wires will break off after a short time. I put a drop of silicone at the bending point to ease the stress, but the wires still broke.( photo #1)

Tinning the end of the braid makes it stiff and hard to install the brass eyelets. Doubling over the end of the braid makes it thicker and stiffer but you lose the overall length of the braid. (photo #2)

The easiest and best way that I have found to keep the brass eyelets installed, is to press a round toothpick in next to the eyelet to wedge it in. Then trim off the excess toothpick for body clearance. (photo #3)

Dave

That's a great idea. I'm a big fan of that kind of solution!

Comment

Ah, the old toothpick-wedge trick. Thank you.

Comment

Three other options:

(1) Use an extra piece of thin braid, cut to fit, insert it in the top of the guide before you put in the eyelet, and trim to fit after assembly.

(2) When you cut the wire to fit, just trim more insulation and run the wire through the eyelet twice. There's usually plenty of wire. Or use spare copper wire and cut enough to run it through the eyelet before you put the "real" wire in the eyelet.

(3) Put a very tiny drop of cyanoacrylate in the hole in the guide, sufficient to reduce the diameter of the round hole, and let it cure (use accelerator), then assemble (sort of like fixing a stripped body mounting post). This is a riskier solution.
        Last edited by JML; 11-24-2008, 07:37 AM.

Comment

fix

best way is throw te slot it eyelets and use ninco ones as they are larger and fit perfectly with thinner braid

Comment

Great tip Dave.

Putting a drop of CA on top of the eyelet after the braids are installed is NOT a god idea, don't ask how I know

Comment

Originally posted by 356speedster View Post
              Great tip Dave.

Putting a drop of CA on top of the eyelet after the braids are installed is NOT a god idea, don't ask how I know
              I've used a dab of hot glue, and it works fine. Not my preference, though.

Comment

All right Dave , nice suggestion and contribution to the forum!

Comment

Good Idea Dave. I happen to be a bit lazy so here is my solution
                  PMTR1062

These ferrules are from professor motor and have an oversize O.D. so they provide a good press fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Moby Dick View Post
                    Good Idea Dave. I happen to be a bit lazy so here is my solution
                    PMTR1062

These ferrules are from professor motor and have an oversize O.D. so they provide a good press fit.
                    Those work great and thought you may need to trim the end to keep them from dragging on the braid/rail, once they are in, they stay.

Scott

Comment

Hey that's my trick !

Originally posted by anddelanyno20 View Post
                      best way is throw te slot it eyelets and use ninco ones as they are larger and fit perfectly with thinner braid
                      We've been doing that at our club for a while.

The standard Slot.it eyelet is 1.5mm the standard Ninco eyelet is 1.6mm
                      But Slot.it are now selling a 1.6mm eyelet as a spare part - you can't tell them apart from the Ninco ones, and if you are in a club/race event where "only Slot.it parts" are specified, well now you have it.

Small tip - for any other novices like me. I always hold the top of the eyelet in a pair of needle-nose pliers, with one finger under the guide, firmly on the braid where it emerges from the guide; to stop the braid moving while I force the eyelet in place. That technique has been the reliable way for me to fit tight, and not accidentally push the braid into or through the guide while inserting.

Comment

I just put a little glob of Goop across the top of the guide, where the eyelets are. It has held wires in place in many proxy races, for years of racing. No wire breakage, no pop-outs, and no special parts required. Not even tooth picks!

Comment

Another way forward

Stock the braid is bent back and the eyelet is in front of the braid, this too loose.

Bend the braid froward and push the eyelet in behind the braid, situation cured even with thin Slot.it eyelets.

This has worked for me from the first Slot.it car I ever tested, I always do this and never had an eyelet come out, no other mod's needed.

But these are all good ideas.

To do my tip you need to bend about 1/4" of braid up past the top of the guide then forward, once the eyelet is in you can curl the protruding braid around the eyelet for extra security, also make sure the 2 braids do not touch or the car will not run.

Hey keep the tips coming, who else uses the anglewinder axle stopper to set gear mesh on Slot.it in line ( Crown) gears we have been doing this for a few years now. No gear failures set up this way.
                          Alan Smith
                          SCI Owner.
                          www.scaleracing.com
                          www.slotcarillustrated.com
                          www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                          www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Originally posted by 356speedster View Post
                            Great tip Dave.

Wish I had read this last week.

Comment

If one looks at the Lambo Lightning review, tried to post picture but.. At first it looks as if the braids are directly connected to the motor.

Given that solder wick is relatively cheap, why not?

Last edited by Scaleracing; 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X