Sidewinder / Inline Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinder / Inline Comparison

The skid pad is used to measure the highest continuous lateral G/forces created by a car.

Continuous lateral G/forces are measured with a G/meter in a time period of longer than three seconds.

To duplicate this on my skid pad, a slot car must run five laps or longer at itís fastest speed.

The fastest continuous speed ever recorded on my skid pad was 0.697 seconds by a Slot it #87 Ferrari 312.

The fastest continuous speed recorded by an inline chassis car was 0.725 seconds by a Schiesser 956K Porsche.

To see if the tires were making the difference between the two cars, I mounted the 312ís tires on the 956K.
    With these tires, the 956K had a continuous speed of 0.723 seconds.

Then the complete sidewinder motor pod and tires from the Ferrari 312 were installed in the Porsche 956K.

The inline 956K weighs 74 grams, 44 rear / 30 front.
    The sidewinder 956K weighs 74 grams, 46 rear / 28 front.

After an hour of chassis and body tuning on the skid pad, the sidewinder Schiesser 956K Porsche had a best continuous speed of 0.752 seconds, and a fast lap of 0.746 seconds.

Any added weight to the car only slowed itís lap times.

All the tests were done using Slot it S1 tires on my polished Sears Semi-Gloss Latex Painted MDF track.

Dave

Photo of the Schiesser 956K Porsche with the Ferrari #87 312 motor pod installed and the 956K inline pod.

Last edited by davejr; 01-24-2009, 09:41 AM.

Interesting test seeing that in the Forums Cup most of the top ten are SideWinders. Then you also have various motors but most of the top ten are also the Slot.it 21.5K.

Comment

Since almost everyone was converting their cars to sidewinder, I ran some tests to see why. I thought there would be some great advantage to changing to a sidewinder configuration.

All of the tests that I did showed the inline was a little faster in all different combinations, on the skid pad, on my track, for the tires that I use.

The amount of difference was a few thousandth to a few hundredths on the skid pad.

Each setup has itís advantages when the overall performance of a slot car is measured.

Dave

Comment

I converted my would-be Shoot Out contender for this year to sidewinder, from inline. Everything else stayed the same (Sauber). The car was always capable of very fast laps as an inline, but lacked the consistency to win outright. It seemed prone to sudden breakaway and flights into the landscape. When I installed a SW pod, with the same motor, the car became much more tractable and solid feeling through the corners; it felt like the winners in the Shootout had felt. I never completed the tuning necessary to bring it up to faster speeds than it had done as inline, but it seemed to have the potential. I suppose the difference was in the destabilizing effect of inline torque distribution in transitions to and from cornering to straight-line mode. Anyway, that little experiment proved to me that SW cars are easier to drive fast, and win races, than inline, all other factors remaining the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Livingston View Post
          I converted my would-be Shoot Out contender for this year to sidewinder, from inline. Everything else stayed the same (Sauber). The car was always capable of very fast laps as an inline, but lacked the consistency to win outright. It seemed prone to sudden breakaway and flights into the landscape. When I installed a SW pod, with the same motor, the car became much more tractable and solid feeling through the corners; it felt like the winners in the Shootout had felt. I never completed the tuning necessary to bring it up to faster speeds than it had done as inline, but it seemed to have the potential. I suppose the difference was in the destabilizing effect of inline torque distribution in transitions to and from cornering to straight-line mode. Anyway, that little experiment proved to me that SW cars are easier to drive fast, and win races, than inline, all other factors remaining the same.
          I have to concur with Robert as I have always found the sidewinder to be much more consistent than the inline.

Though I think highly of their products, I have seen issues with the Slot.it pods as they are far from consistent, no matter what the configuration. Some pods have far too much play in the bushings and the motors will roll in the mount. You may want to look closely at the sidewinder pod to make sure there is no play on the bushings and the motor. Also glue the motor in (both pods) and try your tests again.

The other issue to be concerned about is there is not a great deal of room in the fender wells when using a sidewinder pod, especially with the Slot.it 956. Take a good look and make sure there is no tire interference with the body. Put the car on a test block, push down on one side of the car and roll the car forward and back-wards. You can see (and feel) the tires dragging.

Comment

I just ran a Slot.it McLaren in my Endurance Series & took it to 2nd. It started out as an IL & was a solid, quick car. I converted it to AW & picked up .6 secs/lap. Same gear ratio, tires, everything; just changed the motor pod.

Comment

Were you using the same motor? Did the weight change, or just the balance? Enquiring minds want to know!

Comment

the cars have a minimum weight spec. same motor. the only change was to AW. IL gears @ 10/25; AW @ 12/30. AW had a little better braking, but overall handling was superior. I put it down to COG & spreading the mag field wider(no-mag spec) the only serious contenders were AW. i used an NC-6 & yellowdogs.

Comment

I think your .6 was due to the fact that the anglewinder allows more mag(in the motor)and spreads it across the rails.Besides i thought the comparison was between inline vs. sidewinder in a NO magnet comparison. Up until this past weekend I would have agreed that the sidewinder works better than inline but....Sat. night i ran a Slot-it Jaguar w/inline against 3 Porsche 956s,2 of which were sidewinders and on my track(wood) it was a killer. In practise the Jag was .5 per lap faster than my best sidewinder Porsche/Jag or Mercedes. The Jag works on wood! Never ran very good on plastic though.

Comment

My RAA GT3 car started life as an In Line I did some reconanacence laps with it and then went and installed the sidewinder setup. The first thing I noticed like Robert Livingston stated was that the side winder the car was easier to drive and seemed more predictable. Exactly what one would want for a proxy car.

I also came to slots from a history of Radio Control. In RC, the fastest and most agile cars are the 1/12 scale pan cars and even the 1/18 scale pan cars. All have the sidewinder configuration. 4wd sedans are Just not as fast as the pan cars. Although the early 4wd sedans used belts and were basically a sidewinder configuration recently they are going to shaft drive and thus In Line.

But the debate is all great and all.

The real kudos belongs to Slot.It for having a pod in their design that allows the car to be setup in In Line, Angle Winde, or Side Winder (OK so the 312PB and 33/3 can't go In Line) configuration!

And remember that RC grew out of slots. Scaly makes all of its cars Sidewinder provided there is enough room between the rear tires (Classic Mini Cooper) or there is enough room under the body shape (LMP cars) I remember when the Slot.It Ferrari 312PB and Alfa 33/3 came out and all the talk of how these little cars were so much better than the current Slot.It king, BMW McLaren F1 GTR. Once again sidewinder versus inline.
                    Last edited by DrDiff; 04-01-2009, 01:45 AM.

Comment

312 inline

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...ad.php?t=23000

Dave
                      Last edited by davejr; 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

OK I stand corrected but that is a driverless car and would not be eligible for proxy race.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDiff View Post
                          OK I stand corrected but that is a driverless car and would not be eligible for proxy race.
                          Well observed. Needs inserts for the rear wheels, too ...

Comment

As the article says;

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=23000

This car was built just for testing purposes. The tests showed little or no value in converting a 312 to inline.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X