Pickup guide depth gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup guide depth gauge

This simple guide depth gauge is made from a Slot it car base. The two raised ribs have been file off.

The depth of the guide is marked on the front of the base and outlined with a silver marker.

The slot in the base is filed to the front, then down the front to the desired depth.

This gauge is set to 5mm, to give a little leeway for the 5.2mm rule.

The Schiesser Porsche has been set to the proper clearance.

The Boss Porsche is at 5.5mm and wonít clear the bottom of the gauge.

Dave

I can't see pics.

Comment

I use nearly the exact same method, except my gauge is made from a Fly base. I put marks at 3/16", 5.2mm, and 1/4", so one gauge fits several criteria (Scalextric Classic, Scalextric Sport, and most of the rest). I think the 5.2mm depth may be too shallow for Scalextric Sport; more like 6mm is a better, but I still can't be sure.

Comment

Similar here as well. The only difference is that I used a 1/2" thick slab of clear acrylic (which I got from the scraps bin at the plastics store) for a plinth, and ran a quarter inch deep by one eighth inch wide groove down the center on a table saw.

Comment

I feel totally unworthy stepping into a davejr. thread, as I have been in awe and total respect of his technical acuity and scientific methods displayed in countless others (all of which I have read but often it goes over my head or my brain starts to turn to grape jelly looking at all the numbers and stats), but I have to ask seeing these pics:

How do you get the car down so perfectly low? Even with my braids perfectly flat they don't get down that low, and always seem to ride too high in the slot. Even with front axles adjusted and front tires in the air I maintain a much larger gap than properly set up cars I see both here and at the club. I tried the slot.it guide with the screw and even shimmed to get it flush with the chassis and eliminated 90% of the play in it.

I know I sound like a kook, but I am just desperate to figure all this out. I have screwed up 2 cars already "learning" the techniques "on my own".

Thanks for any help!

Comment

No pics for me and my box? I'd love to see examples of what is being discussed here...especially on adjusting height and guide depth.

-M

Comment

Jsensk

The Schiesser Porsche is completely stock as it came from Slot it, the only changes to this car are the thinner pickup braids and S1 tires.

The Boss Porsche is right out of the box for a demonstration of the pickup depth, nothing has been done to the cars.

There are many how to articles on this site to help you find out how to set up a particular car for racing . If you canít find what you are looking for, just ask, I am sure someone with experience with that car will respond.

Dave

Comment

I'm not seeing the picts either?

Comment

Robert

The 5.2mm depth is the suggested depth for the 2009 Slot it summer shootout.

When I made the gauge I found my entry for the shootout was at 5.5mm. I sanded the guide to get a dept of 5mm just to be on the safe side.

The slot in my track is just over ľ inch deep, so I never bothered checking the guide depth on any car before.

Dave

Comment

Dave- are the slot.it "thinner" braids different from the ones that would ever come on the car already? I looked around, but everyone selling slot.it braids appears to just have OEM replacements, not a thinner version. Any tips in who carries these? It looks like the a great solution.

Comment

Jsensk

Some retailers are still showing the old Slot it part number SISP05.

The new Slot it number on the package is SP05 Competition Copper Braid.

They are thinner and more flexible than the ones that come on the Slot it cars.

Dave

Comment

Any ideas why I can't see the pretty picts? I'm on IE 7 I think.

Comment

Thanks Dave. Man those seem a little tricky to find though! I checked all my usual sources and they didn't list them. Google'd it and found one shop that had one left! I snatched them up. Any suggestions where to pick up?

Comment

132 slotcar.us shows them in stock under Slot.it spare parts
                            http://www.132slotcar.us/store/index...Path=24_94_174

Comment

Any ideas why I can't see the pretty picts? I'm on IE 7 I think.
                              Total puzzle to me. Are you usually able to view pictures on SCI hosted from Member's SCI Galleries? Can you view this:

Comment

Working...
                              X