Racer Sideways Riley vs. Fly Riley, The Complete Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racer Sideways Riley vs. Fly Riley, The Complete Test

For this comparison the Racer Riley was completely stock using S2 tires and is race prepared.

The Fly Riley was completely stock except for having four magnets attached to the motor, and is race prepared.

We raced the Fly Riley and the Racer Riley for over 200 laps while comparing the two cars. Both cars ran consistent laps of 6.900 to 7.100 seconds.

The Fly was about .2 to .4 mph slower in top speed but would out accelerate the Racer coming out of the turns.

The Racer was slightly faster in the turns, but the Fly had better braking.

The Fly is 8 grams heavier than the Racer, but the Fly made 3.5 more watts of power.

Just from driving both cars while switching back and forth during testing, both cars proved to be quite evenly matched.

Week two;

Since there isnít an easy way to change the gear ratio in the Fly Riley to compensate for not using the added magnets on the motor, I changed the ratio in the Racer Riley to a 3.25 :1 to get a closer comparison of the two cars.

The Fly with a 3.00:1 ratio has a maximum rear wheel speed of 6350 rpm.

The Racer with the 3.25:1 ratio has a maximum rear wheel speed of 6750 rpm.

The Fly makes 13.7 watts of power at the rear wheels at 3175 rpm.

The Racer makes 10.5 watts of power at the rear wheels at 3375 rpm.

The Fly in the 6 foot acceleration test, 0.517 seconds @ 10.9 mph.

The Racer in the 6 foot acceleration test, 0.522 seconds @ 11.1 mph.

The Fly on the skid pad made 1.69 Gs.

The Racer on the skid pad made 1.73 Gs.

The Fly on the race track had an average lap time for 50 laps, 7.400 second @ 11.7 mph top speed.

The Racer on the race track had an average lap time for 50 laps, 7.400 seconds @ 12.1 mph top speed.

I didnít have a second driver this time so I couldnít run actual racing situation lap times.

The Fly is a little more difficult to drive because of itís excessive braking force, but the Racer is close in braking with the 3.25:1 gear ratio.

Both cars in this comparison accelerate to maximum speed in about 6 to 7 feet from a dead stop.

The motor and rear wheel performance tests are all measured at 12 volts.

The track testing and racing was done at 10 volts.

These are the articles on race preparing both of these cars.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=27796

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=23651

Dave

Whatís the H beam good for??

The most important thing that I have found to do first on a Racer Sideways Riley is to coat the mirror posts with JB Weld.

I ran this car for almost 500 laps, adjusting screws and adding weight. The best I could get out of this car was 7.000 second at 13.7 mph top speed. Adding any weight only slowed the car.

I then adjusted the four screws that hold the H beam in the chassis. No matter how I adjusted them I could find no improvement.

I removed the H beam and the best lap I could get was a 7.027 seconds. The beam and screws weighed 1 gram.

The rear wheels and gear were adjusted, oiled and the car reassemble. I ran 25 laps for a final test and ran laps of 7.000 to 7.100, with a fast lap of 6.987 seconds.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Nice job on the comparison. Do you have any tips for strengthening the rear spoiler of the Fly Riley?

Best regards,
      Brian

Comment

Brian

I didn’t have any problems with the Fly Rileys, but I broke a mirror off one of the Racer cars just by turning it over to adjust the chassis. After spending a half hour crawling on the floor looking for the mirror I decided to strengthen the posts.

I don’t presently have a Fly Riley so I can’t see what it would take to strength the rear wing. If you have broken the wing off, I think reinforcing the area where it broke would be a good place to start.

I kept breaking the wings on my Carrara Corvettes. I drilled 0.020 inch hole through the center of the wing supports and inserted brass rods in them. The wing assembly just sits in 0.020 holes in the top of the body. Now when the car gets hit, the wing just comes out without damaging the wing supports.

Dave

Comment

What I have done to strengthen the rear wing on the FLY Riley is, I used 5min epoxy that I use on my R/C Planes, and put some on the base of the wing post where it connects to the body, then some on the post where the the wing itself connects to the post. I've had some wicked crashes and so far the rear wing is very sturdy and has never broke off.

John

Comment

Working...
          X