Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sidewinder versus Inline; the Great Debate Continues!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This spreadsheet is from the pre-race testing. It compares the rear wheel power of each car to the factory rated motor power. This doesn’t factor in chassis losses.

Only the cars that were above normal were tested for their actual output.

Dave

Comment

The rules of the Shoot Out were only that certain Slot.It motors could be used, and certain other motors could not. No motor could be modified. That is all!

Other proxy races may have more or less stringent rules on motors, but the Shoot Out was simply this:

Motors
      1.) Any closed can Slot.it motor is permitted. No Open can boxers or Flat 6 R motors. (The yellow flat 6 IS legal)
      2.) Slot.it motors can be run-in prior to race.
      3.) No changes or modifications to motors are permitted.
      4.) Lead weight placed on motor is permitted.
      5.) Motor shaft can be trimmed for tire clearance.

Now, if someone should obtain a higher performing motor, as bought, that is the luck of the draw. Evidently the 124% motor was an accidental acquisition.

A more stringent way to run the race would be to test every motor first, but since many people are in this hobby on a more casual basis, less stringent racing is more the norm. Another proxy, (CPR) includes motor tests, and I have tested motors in some races for which I was the tech inspector. It is time consuming, and so far, not a single "cheater" motor has shown up. When I build a car, I hope for a strong performing motor, but I make do with what I have.

On a related note, when I hosted the Shoot Out last summer, I had a car (Lou E's) that stuck to my track like glue, with otherwise normal, legal, factory issue S2 tires. His car didn't do as well on the other surfaces in the race, only on mine. I suspect it was due to production variation, as the S1's and S2's are known to vary widely.

When stock parts are specified, the luck of the draw becomes a factor.

Comment

Just my opinion.

I am sure WPSoko1, Smokeio, Nhdungeonracer, B52RN, Terry Noe, Bov, and TransIssues, are comforted by the news that motor performance is a non-issue.

All of these cars were better or equal too the second place car in in handling during my segment of the shootout.

If the motor performance was equal, who knows what the finishing order would have been.

Robert

If a simple rpm test would have been performed in the original scrutiny of the cars entered in the shootout, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

If the rules would have said any Slot it motor without any exclusions, the motors should still come close to factory specifications for the individual motors.

What is the sense of even mentioning the motor, as long as it fits in the car, when writing the rules?

Why would you go through all of the work of compiling an in depth motor list, if it means absolutely nothing?

Dave

Comment

How on earth do you expect every entrant to test their motor rpms, or even the Tech Inspection guys, if they don't have the equipment? Rediculous. These are toy cars. The rules have been met by the competitors in that they have allowed motors, that have not been opened/modified.

Robert covered it very well.

Originally posted by Robert Livingston View Post
          The rules of the Shoot Out were only that certain Slot.It motors could be used, and certain other motors could not. No motor could be modified. That is all!

Other proxy races may have more or less stringent rules on motors, but the Shoot Out was simply this:

Motors
          1.) Any closed can Slot.it motor is permitted. No Open can boxers or Flat 6 R motors. (The yellow flat 6 IS legal)
          2.) Slot.it motors can be run-in prior to race.
          3.) No changes or modifications to motors are permitted.
          4.) Lead weight placed on motor is permitted.
          5.) Motor shaft can be trimmed for tire clearance.

Now, if someone should obtain a higher performing motor, as bought, that is the luck of the draw. Evidently the 124% motor was an accidental acquisition.

A more stringent way to run the race would be to test every motor first, but since many people are in this hobby on a more casual basis, less stringent racing is more the norm. Another proxy, (CPR) includes motor tests, and I have tested motors in some races for which I was the tech inspector. It is time consuming, and so far, not a single "cheater" motor has shown up. When I build a car, I hope for a strong performing motor, but I make do with what I have.

On a related note, when I hosted the Shoot Out last summer, I had a car (Lou E's) that stuck to my track like glue, with otherwise normal, legal, factory issue S2 tires. His car didn't do as well on the other surfaces in the race, only on mine. I suspect it was due to production variation, as the S1's and S2's are known to vary widely.

When stock parts are specified, the luck of the draw becomes a factor.

Comment

If the rules would have said any Slot it motor without any exclusions, the motors should still come close to factory specifications for the individual motors.
            In your opinion. Fact is, anyone with several "identical" motors to choose from is almost certainly going to give them all a spin to see which one seems to be fastest. Or in my case, I chose that particular yellow endbell because it's already been through three hours of endurance running so I know it's strong and reliable.

What is the sense of even mentioning the motor, as long as it fits in the car, when writing the rules?
            In the case of this proxy series, I believe the intent was to ensure that (1) only Slot.it motors were used, this being a Slot.it Shootout, and (2) motors with potentially high downforce that could enhance car handling on mag tracks would not be allowed.

Comment

1) To make sure everyone knows it is only Slot.It motors to be used
              2) The exclusion of the others is to remove the magnet effect of the open can motors on plastic or routed track with magnabraid.

Comment

Dave, I'd like to take credit for having spent countless hours and $$$ sifting through dozens of slotit orange endbells looking for the perfect ringer, but alas, I think the expression "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" is more apropoe. Funny thing is, the story behind the now infamous orange can is this; I recieved it in trade for a Boxer/2, as I was running low on orange endbell motors due to many of my own having suffered the fate of early generation orange enbellitus (shorted com). The motor in question was a nearly new motor from a F40 kit. Just be grateful I didnt use a yellow can, as apparently my orange nearly matches it in output. Just think what would have happened if my car had the additional 2000rpm that your car did. You wouldnt have any excuses to justify your tantrum.

Comment

Would be good to move on please John; Dave could have, and probably should have, responded to the posts from Redlynr, Slotbutton, and myself that preceded yours. Instead he chose to start another thread that was really pretty insulting to one and all. I just closed that thread.

Would also be good if we could get a ruling on whether the results from round two are going to be counted please, and if not then an update to the scoresheet would be great around now, including any penalties etc. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X